S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission

Old 04-24-2002, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's (the videos) not good at all. You mentioned that Honda went ahead and replaced your tranny? Are you going to modify your new tranny? Does the new tranny already have a correction from Honda that you haven't mentioned? Or, did Honda just pay your expenses and you kept the tranny that was installed previously?

This thread is very interesting...I just wonder how it will all turn out...
Old 04-24-2002, 04:17 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear Honda came through. Haven't looked at the video's yet but I will. With my crappy dial line speed, I hate downloads.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I now have two tranny's, the temporary replacement is in the process of being modified

The 'new' tranny is installed for the time being. I guess it will end up my spare should I need it.

Honda, well I called to see if my parts had come in and they say, OH BTW we ordered you a tranny . . .

It went from there, and I wanted to install it myself since I had oodles more experience than they did (this happened to be their first one) and they were to just install it rather than remove/install . . .

Anyhow I met the mechanic, and I was quite a bit more at ease after that because he turned out to be pretty cool. But 2 things happened(but they took care of it) the EPS torque sensor was damaged (and replaced) and the one thing that really ticked me off, was the steering joint bolts were badly over-torqued, so guess what the result of that is?? well yeah you cant slide the damn thing back to easily re-align the steering wheel after such an endeavor . . .

well here are the rest of the videos, the one that really stands out is the first one, watch and notice how little I had to corner . . .

Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
#5 didnt get through . . . that ones of the pressure drop at 50 in a moderate turn.

Oh yeah, NO I do not know if my new tranny is different inside! I havnt been in the mood to pull that tranny yet - workn on another engine at the moment.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:46 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are saying even if I don't do much high speed driving on twisty roads, I might see my tranny fail (due to this design defect)? And this could happen years down the road after the car is well out of the basic warranty?
Old 04-25-2002, 12:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STL
[B]So you are saying even if I don't do much high speed driving on twisty roads, I might see my tranny fail (due to this design defect)?
Old 04-25-2002, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by cmnsnse

Oh yeah, NO I do not know if my new tranny is different inside! I havnt been in the mood to pull that tranny yet - workn on another engine at the moment.
Sorry to quote myself but I wanted to let everyone know that my 'new' transmission is really an older one . . . from late'00 or early '01 im not sure exactly of the Mfgr date. It's quite possible the new ones have a change on the inside.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:45 AM

cmnsnse: This is good stuff! I had a thought that might help you prove your point. First, is it possible to gain access to the interior of the gear box to route a thermocouple into the lube bath? If so, then the driving situations you have sampled might also show a corresponding increase in thermal loading of lube/gears. If temperatures within the gearbox often exceed the thermal capacity of the lube (as a function of the problems you suspect) then perhaps lube breakdown also becomes an issue.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chipster
[B]cmnsnse: This is good stuff! I had a thought that might help you prove your point. First, is it possible to gain access to the interior of the gear box to route a thermocouple into the lube bath? If so, then the driving situations you have sampled might also show a corresponding increase in thermal loading of lube/gears. If temperatures within the gearbox often exceed the thermal capacity of the lube (as a function of the problems you suspect)
Old 04-25-2002, 10:03 AM

Great research...

Its funny that Honda will monitor this board, but will not make any attempt to help or clarify for the enthusiats who drive this car. Really looking foward to more findings. I wish Honda would acknowledge this and then speak about which model years it affects for sure; they sure as hell didnt recognize the 2nd gear sync problem on 2001s and that was a large part of the reason why I swapped for a 2002
Old 04-25-2002, 11:53 AM

I wish I had bought the TA WS6 I was looking at instead. I personally love my S2K but think it is overpriced, slow, and lacking in many refinements. With the TA I would have more power, nicer leather, better stereo, more space, lower insurance, more respect from other drivers, etc. Unfortunately I am stuck with my S2000 for at least 3 years unless a chunk of cash drops in my lap.

Quick Reply: All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission