S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission

Old 03-19-2002, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll host them, my bandwidth use isn't too heavy at the moment I'll setup an FTP site for you and PM it.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK here is whats going on, the red arrow is 0psi, Blue is 1psi, and Green is 2psi

The video's should be up sometime soon I hope
Remember there is a general curve of pressure per speed that will always be there so when the car gets down to around 20-30mph it will read almost zero.

The '80_bend' - shows driving at 60 through the first bend with pressure then accelerating to 80mph and a similar bend causes pressure loss.

'80_bend_stop' - cruising around 80mph, taking a left bend, and slowing at a moderate pace to the left lane.

'75_flutter' - another clip showing a steady turn at 75 and the pressure gauge 'fluttering'

'72_threshold' - At a speed of 72mph I was able to cross between pressure and no pressure on the 'threshold'

'50_corner_brake' - A brisk pace through a series of sharper (left) turns on a back road, and then comming to a stop.

'55_over_hill' - I cant explain this one except that mabe cresting this small hill, close to zero gravity was presented to the gearbox and maybe caught an air bubble?? I was going straight, and up hill, so it had to be the extended bump?
Old 03-20-2002, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may sounds silly but I was just wondering what kind, type, of oil is inside our transmission ?
Old 03-20-2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by chrysis
It may sounds silly but I was just wondering what kind, type, of oil is inside our transmission ?
Umm, its called Honda MTF(Manual-Transmission-Fluid), and its ratings are not published. Its a low viscosity gear lube, like a thin motor oil but with an anti shear additive for gear teeth.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by S2000RJ
This gives Honda UK the opportunity to perform their own research on the failed gearboxes. I do not know if they do.
The service manager told me that all the gearboxes are sent back to Japan when they replaced mine. I'm now wondering if my 2nd gearbox is different to the first. It's certainly got a better shift action, and hasn't had any problems yet. (3,000 miles on this one, first was showing problems by 8000, and replaced around 9000 miles.)

-Brian.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:10 AM

Another thing to think about is that not only does the flow to the bearings stop, but when it resumes, there is compressed air effectively removing most of the much needed oil from those bearings!!

That's what regular transmissions don't have, is air blowing through the bearings.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cmnsnse,

Just a thought:

Have you considered a pump failure as a possible cause? Given that pump speed is directly related to vehicle speed, I am wondering if prolonged use at over 10krpm could lead to its demise... Although it's not beyond a car manufacturer to make silly mistakes, the oil pickup point seems too naive to be plausible.

The test of the pump at speeds unheard of in Japan (where cars are limited to 180km/h) is much more likely to have been overlooked.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luis
[B]cmnsnse,

Just a thought:

Have you considered a pump failure as a possible cause? Given that pump speed is directly related to vehicle speed, I am wondering if prolonged use at over 10krpm could lead to its demise...
Old 04-24-2002, 11:25 AM

YES Im back, I have not given up. Honda has replaced my transmission BUT I beleive there to still be a problem. So I am continuing my personal investigation.

It turns out that unloaded bearings have a tendency to fail prematurely, a few reasons being that the rollers can skid instead of roll. Also loss of lubricant has a compounding effect of overheating. And lastly the 1st gear needle bearing (the one that failed) requires the largest amount of lubricant volume, meaning it is the first to not be completley replenished. One more thing, engineers can design the tranny with smaller bearings, and with lower ratings with an oil pump*, the oil flow plays an important part in cooling the bearings, so when you take away the oil pump, it is very much NOT like a regular transmission. When oil stops, there is a much greater chance for the needle bearings to overheat, skid, skew, weaken the surface of the rollers and lead to surface deformation causing spalls and eventually a catastrophic failure, even without load. (like 1st failing while being in 6th gear)
This also means trannys will fail without doing 100+ for hours. It will just take many many more miles, and is circumstantial. The 100+ just brings it out almost immediately.

Ill ask again, since I had no luck before, WHO can host video??

*This doesn't mean we have smaller bearings, just that the oil pump was taken into account when they went looking for load and speed ratings.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:27 PM

Finally !! Here :

Video Numero Uno

Video Six

Check back for more later . . . Explanations are above.

Quick Reply: All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission