S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission

Old 03-18-2002, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say I believed this was possible 2(almost 3) years ago when we heard about Luis's car... wish we still had the HA.net posts, I remember some mention of european car mag's discussion regarding this. Wonder what it would cost to rent tms for the day and do laps at say ... 125 all day. It would seem pretty easy to be making a whole bunch of left turns at 100 plus if not dead on 125.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cmnsnse
[B]S2000RJ / Rob,
Old 03-19-2002, 01:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by S2000RJ

I'd be most interested if you can prove this.
Tell you guys what, I'll get a video made up inside this week (if its dry) that has the pressure gauge/speedometer in view, and you'll be able to see how Im driving the car.
Your VIN number sequence is specific to the North American market. If you want to investigate changes to the gearbox design, especially with respect to the European market, you may be better going by the gearbox serial number. If your gearbox uses the same number range as ours, then you should be able to tell if your new one is newer than Luis's replacement. I don't know if my replacement gearbox had the high speed fix. I'll try to find the number for it.
Gotcha, I was being selfish to the USA

I can get the other number off the tranny . . .
Old 03-19-2002, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by S2000RJ
I'd be most interested if you can prove this.
Sorry, I meant I'd be most interested if you can verify this. I didn't mean to imply that I doubted you. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:24 AM

Great thred, keep us informed.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:11 AM

It will take some time for all this to sort itself out. Until that happens, I was wondering if adding extra fluid to the transmission case might help compensate. Or does that have undesirable side effects?
Old 03-19-2002, 05:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dierk
[B]..Until that happens, I was wondering if adding extra fluid to the transmission case might help compensate.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cmnsnse,

So the oil level on your trans was OK when the failure occurred? The gears on the main shaft actually heated up enough from the needle bearing failure to burn the oil level onto the gears?

You've convinced me that there may indeed be a high RPM oiling problem under sustained high-speed driving with the tranny that causes the pressure and volume to drop enough that the bearings could be compromised. This IS strange though, in that nearly all manuals use no pressure lubrication and live just fine, BUT if the Honda engineers did not design the bearings in this tranny to be splash lubed, and indeed they REQUIRE the 4-5 PSI you've measured to live, then you are really onto something here.

I seen muffled references to failures in Europe, and to a modification from Honda to the trans, but no posts to back this up. Can we get any proof of this to help your cause with Honda? I really think Honda should help you out here, BTW, no matter what the cause of the failure was.

Keep at it!

Jim Mullen
Illusion Motorsports
Old 03-19-2002, 06:33 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

While I find the information and research interesting reading, I personally would not change anything based upon the experience, testimonials, and recommendations of a small handful of owners.

I'm not so nieve (sp?) to think that Honda can not make an error; however, I'm in no big hurry to dismiss their engineering and design either. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly some folks want to believe that a shade tree mechanic can out engineer a respected engineering department. Perhaps it's built into the American culture that this how it works -- and there is evidence that at times it does work that way. But, the odds are the manufacturer's have thought it through way more than folks want to give them credit for and they have built in many more variables than the average person would ever consider. No offense cmnsnce, but for now I'll not change a thing and I'm not the least worried.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dlq04
[B]While I find the information and research interesting reading, I personally would not change anything based upon the experience, testimonials, and recommendations of a small handful of owners.

Quick Reply: All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission