S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission

Old 05-03-2002, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lane
Can we end this recent off-topic cr*p? This thread is very useful, even if 99% of us never will experience the problem, and I for one would like to follow the actual subject matter.

thanks!
Amen. Sorry for the late bump, just got to this thread (and read every word). Thanks for the great info, speculation, fact, movies, and diagrams cmnsnse! All of it has given me something to think about. (check your pms)

cd
Old 05-03-2002, 02:14 PM

If your tranny breaks will honda fix it? Even if your off warrenty? I herd one time that they would, but im not sure.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by JsnS2k
If your tranny breaks will honda fix it? Even if your off warrenty? I herd one time that they would, but im not sure.
I would guess that depends on why it broke, buy they will try not to.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:15 PM

My cars been at the dealer for a couple weeks now, and looks like it will be there a couple more. Since having the Clutch replaced by the TSB, I have heard a metallic rattling sound coming from the engine, they've taken everything apart to try to find the cause, and have said that 4 bearings are coming apart and were causing the noise. This is a MY2000, don't know the VIN number off hand. Could this be related to the problem you are talking about? In your earlier posts, you mentioned taking the transmission out/replacing clutch as a possible cause. Is this ruled out as a cause for this type of problem? They are replacing it under warranty, I am just not that happy that I will be out the car for a month, especially in the spring!
Old 05-06-2002, 02:27 PM

Hhmm, Ive been over here in Germany, cruisin the Autobahn for the last two weeks. How worried should I be? I thought my only limit was my Blizzak LM 22's, rated to 130 mph. Ive been doing the equivilant of 120 mph to 125 mph. Long drives with my cruise set. I kept thinking "I can't wait till my SO2's get here, and I can really see what she has in her. Now I'm worried "cause i've been pulling some lateral G's on some of these windy roads havin a blast ( responsibly, nothin crazy, just testing the engineering and performance aspects of our cars ). Now, I Know I have not abused this car, it's my BABY, I've never dropped the clutch or burned rubber, most people don't. But i'm driving this car more "freely" then I ever had the chance to in Alaska and I'm still getting passed by VW's, BMW"S, Toyota's,ETC. not necessarily when I was cruisin at 125mph but these "normal" cars our definately driven at 100mph speeds regularly. I hope our car can at least manage the normal tolerances asked of so many day to day cars.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

beaudot

My particular problem was the first gear needle bearing that failed. The clutch is vibrationally isolated from that bearing so they are most likely not affecting each other.

When my clutch was replaced, the TSB for the gear grind was performed and that may very well have aggravated the problem. But just a clutch replacement should have no effect.

R-T-R:

I still have no idea what fix was implemented in Europe, or when. If you have a US spec S2000 you may have this problem.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump
Old 12-03-2002, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone tried over filling the transmission oil to solve this problem. There was some speculation about it months ago, but it wasn't certain that it may actually cause poor lubrication due to frothing.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:10 PM

You can't overfill the transmission fluid because you actually fill it in from the side. You'd have to have the car tilted to one side in order to overfill it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]Has anyone tried over filling the transmission oil to solve this problem.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MarkS2K
You can't overfill the transmission fluid because you actually fill it in from the side. You'd have to have the car tilted to one side in order to overfill it.

Either tilt from the side or from the back, helps both ways to add some extra.

Quick Reply: All Early Model Owners: Worry About Your Transmission