S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Air Conditioning

Old 06-07-2001, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brandonb
[B]Just curious, but do you guys drive with the top down and the A/C on at the same time?
Old 06-07-2001, 11:32 AM

This car comes with a great A/C system. Put the top down and feel the natual A/C!!

And yes I do notice the compressor turning off and on but I try not to run the A/C as it increases gas consumption and takes away power!
Old 06-07-2001, 11:37 AM

futomame,

From my experiences...Honda AC kinda sux...
Old 06-07-2001, 12:30 PM

This car comes with a great A/C system. Put the top down and feel the natual A/C!!
That was my plan until I tried driving across the desert when the temperature was over 100 degrees. When the air outside feels like a blow dryer the you need more help. That's when I found out that the air conditioner does a surprisingly good job with the top down, if you have an AeroScreen to reduce cockpit turbulence. The only time the air conditioner really didn't help was when there was additional buffeting, like while travelling behind a big truck.

All air conditioners lose a little bit of their effectiveness as you get more condensation in the AC radiator. When my AC starts to warm a little, I turn it off until no more cool air comes out the vents, then turn it back on. It will always be colder when it first starts back up than when I first turned it off.

http://www.geocities.com/srnelson_s2000/Day03.html
Old 06-07-2001, 12:57 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.

I would generally put the top down, but I'm waiting for my Muz items to come in and also Sacramento was 106 degrees last week. I opted for A/C during those days.

The A/C cutting on and off that most of you are describing seems to be normal operation of the A/C unit. But I can't see the compressor cutting on and off in 30 second intervals and the inconsistency has no correlation with my revs. About every 30 seconds, the air gets super cold and then tapers off and then gets cold again. It doesn't matter if I'm in stand still traffic (idle), racing around or if I have the car in cruise control.

I should just bring the car in, but I don't want to leave her in someone elses hands unless I absolutely have to.

Phantom: Your right in saying Honda AC sucks. But out of all the Honda's I've owned and driven, the S2K AC has to be the best.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:08 PM

This is very normal, and the air temp out of the vents is dependent on whether the compressor is cycling on or off. The S2K's A/C is a little weaker than some of the other cars that I have driven lately (even our 2000 Accord), and I can only think that it may have reduced compressor capacity for less of a load on the engine. R134 is not nearly as efficient at cooling as the old R12 systems. The compressor must cycle on and off for several reasons, including evaporator icing, high refrigerant pressures, etc. Take it from me - I design air conditioners for "a major HVAC company".
Old 06-07-2001, 01:25 PM

My car was doing something similar and the performance of the A/C unit has been diminishing since new.

Took the car for service and they found a leaking seal. Was replace and the system charged again under warranty.

If you have the time take it to the dealer for a check up. Just in case.
Old 06-07-2001, 03:03 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

We should all run with the top down & A/C on to help counteract the alleged global warming
Old 06-07-2001, 03:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brandonb
[B]Just curious, but do you guys drive with the top down and the A/C on at the same time?
Old 06-07-2001, 04:01 PM

Keep the revs up? Like 7000? Even 4000 is high for any compressor, unless it has a really small pulley. I dont think the compressor will last too long with high revs over an extened period of time.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning