S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Air Conditioned air box

Old 06-28-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like it would work. In order to get more fuel into the engine, wouldnt you have to go with higher flowing injectors? I would not like to up the pressure in the fuel lines any more than it already is.....just in case of a blow out. If you are to do this, wouldnt you need bigger injectors?

Another thing....does anyone know how many cubic feet / minute the engine sucks? How much does our compressor put out? They might not even be in the same ball park. You might need a larger compressor (like a S/C). This is beginning to sound a LOT like a Nitrous type setup.....cooler and denser air being injected directly into the intake (albeit not as extreme). I am sure an easier way can be found to create more HP.

John
Old 06-28-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, the thing here your all over looking is that the AC fan is limited in its capacity provide cold air. What you think is an artic blast coming from your vents probably wouldn't lower the ambient temperature from your intake more the a couple of degrees, and by the time that charge reached the combustion chamber probably none at all.

At the minium, you'd need one hell of a fan to move enough air to make it worth the effort.

If the idea was feasible, some car manufacturer or performance shop would be doing it already.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Jun 26 2005, 09:51 PM
they do have that thing where you add like super cold stuff to your intake or some people actually put there intake in the freezer the night before they go to the track.
There wouldn't be a point in putting your intake in a freezer...since the engine is so hot, it would het up the intake regarless if it was frozen. But people have put dry ice in there intake chambers for 1/4 miles I believe
Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 AM

about the air volume...I stated above that the engine probable sucks more air than the A/C could provide (hence my question about the CFM of each). I have heard of the dry ice thing. But this is temporary and needs to be re-done every time you need the power. He was looking for something like a flip of the switch power source. The only thing I can think of is a Nitrous setup...I have heard that a wet-shot system is not too harsh on the internals and you can get an instant 50 HP by just pushing a button. The pain is that you will always be pushing the button and will have to refill the tank a lot....which I have heard is kinda expensive.

John
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Jun 28 2005, 08:35 AM
Ok, the thing here your all over looking is that the AC fan is limited in its capacity provide cold air. What you think is an artic blast coming from your vents probably wouldn't lower the ambient temperature from your intake more the a couple of degrees, and by the time that charge reached the combustion chamber probably none at all.

At the minium, you'd need one hell of a fan to move enough air to make it worth the effort.

If the idea was feasible, some car manufacturer or performance shop would be doing it already.
I don't think you could blow cold air into the engine this way, either.

My thought is that you could run a freon line through a custom intake manifold, much like the way engine coolant is already. Along with an insulated headgasket, that could lower charge temps. the insulated gasket would help deter the manifold from heating up. You'd basically have an intake manifold that is chilled. The metal manifold should keep the "chill" as well.

It would be like when racers put ice on their manifolds...except permanent.

this idea is out in cold climates, obviously.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Getting good input. All my initial idea was to get some cooler air sucked in from the cabin instead of sucking in 90 and above hot air from outside. Even with a normal cai your still pulling in hot air in front of the radiator on hot days. I just washed the engine bay and had a good look around. The optimum spot would come in right below where the air diverter splits the air to your feet on the passenger side. It looks like you could go up to a 2 1/4 OD pipe and go straight into the stock air box. Since you would be right below the floor outlet you might not even have to hook up to the duct like I originally thought. I guess my original question was more of getting cooler air into the air box than actually trying to create a supercharged effect. Any more ideas from the engineering minds is well appreciated.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:52 PM

if you know a good metal guy, you could do what someone above suggested and simply run an extra segment of freon line through the intake area (close to the manifold to minimize heat gain between the filter and the manifold). This would effectively add an additional A/C just for the intake. No fan needed, as the engine will provide the air flow. I would look into the cooling coils for something like a mini keg-erator. Those are pretty small and easy to work with. If you can get some coils small enough, they might actually just drop into the stock air box. The problem would be moisture removal (a drain for hte box should do that).

Just an idea.

John
Old 06-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jun 28 2005, 10:52 PM
if you know a good metal guy, you could do what someone above suggested and simply run an extra segment of freon line through the intake area (close to the manifold to minimize heat gain between the filter and the manifold). This would effectively add an additional A/C just for the intake. No fan needed, as the engine will provide the air flow. I would look into the cooling coils for something like a mini keg-erator. Those are pretty small and easy to work with. If you can get some coils small enough, they might actually just drop into the stock air box. The problem would be moisture removal (a drain for hte box should do that).

Just an idea.

John
Dust would stick to those coils like white on rice. You've got to put them after the filter, not that I'm saying it will work.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:46 PM

Good point. Forgot about the dirt. kinda like an air handler for you home....if they foul, your A/C SUCKS! This could work IF you could find a filter to fit the inlet to the box, instead of the inlet to the pipe.

i wonder if someone could manufacture something like this OUTSIDE of the car, then dyno it to see if it will work before cutting up the A/C lines.

John
Old 06-28-2005, 05:40 PM

I think that (adding a filter) is a bad idea. It's not designed to work this way. If you ADD a filter, then you've got more restriction. If you change the location of the filter, then it's a simple matter of design...is it AS GOOD as the stock filter arrangement (not considering the coil part of course).