S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

After Market Racing Seats

Old 11-15-2000, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if I install a pair of MOMO racing seats with the harness, would that be safer in a Rollover, cause the Harness will keep you in the seat. Does the racing seat with the harness protect the occupants more in a crash? I was also thinking of install a rollcage that would work with the convertible top, so it will have no problem, if you want to take it to the track. If for daily use if you get in accident does the rollcage protect you better or worst, cause during track time you're wearing a helmet, during regular driving you're not. What if you hit your head on the rollbar during a accident...lol.?
Old 11-15-2000, 10:58 PM

So then, you are assuming a rollover is inevitable?
Old 11-16-2000, 07:58 AM

I think he's assuming a rollover can happen, which is a great idea.

The problem with the harness is, where are you going to mount the harness bar? I can't think of any very elegant solution; it would require drilling big holes in the plastic behind the seats / the glove box thingy at the least...

Oh, and as for the cage, aside from it looking horrible with the top down, you would have to pad it with the foam they sell for bars / cages specifically. It's this high-density stuff that absorbs impact pretty well (it's softer than hitting your head on asphalt/steel anyway).

[This message has been edited by fluxen (edited November 16, 2000).]
Old 11-16-2000, 09:55 AM

fluxen is right, just because you install a racing seat you don't automatically have somewhere to mount the harness. You have to have a mounting point for the harness regardless of what kind of seat that you get.

Normally, a harness is bolted to a point on the frame/chassis either directly or with the use of an eye bolt, or it is mounted to a roll cage.

SCCA regulations allow the use of a racing lap belt using the stock seat belt mounting points, but only allow the use of an over-the-shoulder harness if it is mounted to a permanent, four-point roll cage. They do not allow it to be mounted to a roll bar.
Old 11-16-2000, 12:31 PM

The thing I have found difficult ..is finding a good seat that actually fits where the stock seat fits. the shoulder wings on the seats I have tried to fit , end up hitting on the door. Anyone have luck finding one that does not have this problem let me know.
Old 11-16-2000, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zsr31:
[B]The thing I have found difficult ..is finding a good seat that actually fits where the stock seat fits. the shoulder wings on the seats I have tried to fit , end up hitting
Old 11-16-2000, 03:16 PM

Well I kind of have to retract part of my earlier post. I went looking around, and it turns out that *if* you don't care about qualifying for certain race classes, you can get a harness which bolts to the floor in back of the seat, which would do what you want (keep you anchored). So, Tfota is right, you can mount it to the chassis.

Zsr31 - As you probably know, if you can find a seat that's close to fitting (within say 1"), you can shave it. You just trim the seat itself (since it's just a fiberglass shell), under the cover, and shoot it with foam so it keeps the tip of the wing out. It'll look pretty good, without impeding you from closing the door, or denting the door panel...

And now that I'm thinking about foam, there's an application for it if you're worried about the roll hoop height. If you're really tall, you can just do the racing thing and pour yourself a seat.

Get the racing seat, pull the stock seat cushion out, and pour a 2" thick layer of quickset foam in the shell (in a plastic bag). Sit on it, let it set, and you have a custom seat formed to your butt that only puts you slightly higher than the shell.

Old 11-16-2000, 03:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zsr31:
[B]The thing I have found difficult ..is finding a good seat that actually fits where the stock seat fits. the shoulder wings on the seats I have tried to fit , end up hitting
Old 11-16-2000, 04:02 PM

My friend John Duff is out in his 82 Mustang GT. He has had a little too much to drink. A Camaro challenges him. Two minutes later the Mustang is on it's roof, the t-tops are crushed. John is dead. He had his seatbelt on but it wasn't enough.

A rollbar would have made the differance.
As always, a rollbar is a good investment.
Old 11-16-2000, 04:40 PM

We carry these seats brands;
-Recaro
-Sparco
-Spoon Sports
Giampiero
MG RACING

Quick Reply: After Market Racing Seats