S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AEM intake for $230 or Cheap for $55?

Old 04-25-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by terd ferguson
To each his own. In my opinion 20 light up windscreens is too many.My philosophy is that of sports TUNING. Light up windscreens and non-functional parts are not a part of this philosophy. I don't want to start a war. The S 2000 is a sports car that is unrivaled in handling and driving pleasure. I choose to only add parts that enhance the pleasure of sports driving. Please notice I keep using the term "sports". This is my tuning philosophy. Any item that does not enhance power or power delivery, any item that does not improve the rigidity of the chassis, any item that does not save weight is out of place on my car. Do as you will. I feel items like the lightup windscreens mentioned earlier are better left to the "movie tuning" type of cars. I feel the S 2000 should not be one of those types of cars. That's my opinion. I understand if you disagree.
You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but no one really wants to hear it. Lighted windscreens and other cosmetic modifications (tasteful or not) give cars' a little bit of personality. Why don't you put together a list of all of "the best enhancers of sports driving" and we'll all go out and buy exactly those parts and all have exactly the same car. While we're at it, why don't you let us know what kind of haircut you have as I am sure that is quite efficient and "sporty" as well.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by terd ferguson
To each his own. In my opinion 20 light up windscreens is too many.
You realise that those two sentences contradict each other. If you were really open to others having there own opinion and being allowed to express it, why would you care how many light up windscreens were made, so long as none of them will be on your car?

[red]It appears the following is incorrect and is hence retracted:
Code:
The idea that someone with your misguided sense of freedom of expression (so long as it doens't contradict yours) becoming a law enforcement officer frightens me.

P.S. The other mentioned anti-mod nazi was also some kind of cop.
[/red]
Old 04-26-2004, 05:30 AM

One more question to AEM intake owners. After running your car for a while, is your intake hot, warm, or cool to the touch? I want to know what, if anything the AEM aluminum tubes are coated with.

My bro baught that cheap-o intake for his prelude. It had the identical bends to the AEM so it was a piece of cake to install. I noticed that it did get pretty hot to the touch on the surface of the intake. My bro said he wasn't worried about it because he thinks it's not that hot on the inside, and the air going through the pipes is moving too fast to really heat up.

Note: he did claim to notice a slight power increase over stock and said that after he's been running the car for a while, he doesn't notice any power loss.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:35 AM

Hah! Terd Ferguson.

Great skits.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:04 AM

Pilot, to answer your question:

I had a generic $50 intake and an AEM on my Prelude.

The generic was very hot to the touch after a summer's drive. The AEM? Not hot at all. The coating actually works very well.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only difference between generic and AEM is usually a powder coat, and the insulating capabilities of a powder coat are minimal, at best. AEM does not use any special insulation or caoting on their tubes.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:00 AM

MAC, what offbrand CAI would you reccomend?

& is a CAI ok in Florida, or should I get a Ram air intake? You know hydro-locking, as there is tons and tons of rain in Florida. I've been told RAM air is the only way to go in FL, is this true?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:07 AM

Willie,

You'd be fine with an AEM-like CAI. I live in S. FL and all of my friends have had them for years with no problems. You just don't want to drive through any standing water. If you are really concerned you can get the AEM Bypass valve but this will pretty much undo the performance gains.

The cheap CAI that I was looking at was at:
http://www.procarparts.com

-Chris
Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 AM

thanks pilot!

Offbrand seems like the way to go. i just cannot justify spending 200 extra dollars for what is essentially a metal tube. It just doesn't make any sense.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been in Florida with the CAI for about 8 months now (lived here previously for 17 years), but spent over 2 years in Boston with it. As long as you're a responsible driver and don't run through huge puddles, I see no reason to fear getting a CAI. My front vent is cut out for a ram air effect at highway speeds, and I purposefully spray water directly onto the filter to clean it when I wash the car...no hydrolock yet.

Quick Reply: AEM intake for $230 or Cheap for $55?