S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AEM intake for $230 or Cheap for $55?

Old 04-25-2004, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna make a thread with my super terrific happy time sports tuning philosophy. It seems as its desperatly needed. I see way too many S 2000's with billet grills, light up windscreens, etc. that were better off on the 92 camry's that kind of stuff came from. The S 2000 is one of the best performing, most attractive sports cars on the planet(almost at any price range excluding super exotics). Look, quality parts (usually from Japan and expensive) racetrack tested for form and function. That's why they work. Bottom line:
1. Don't add weight. Take it off.
2. Don'tlose power. Add it.
3.Don't degrade handling. Increase it.
That cheap intake probably violates rule 1 and 2. Come on y'all, if you wanted a great car to put cheap parts on, maybe you should've bought a 90 civic si hatch.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:03 PM

Places like powerhouse amuse are small companies that turn out quality parts. Most of Japan's tuning houses probably operate out of a shop the size of your bedroom. You get what you pay for in most cases.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting info. I'll probably stick with the name brand. I guess there just isn't enough info out on the other stuff... and one shouldn't really take the chance.

..and besides, I need that sticker.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:10 PM

Don't f around with the smog police in cali. It's too much of a headache to get fix-it tickets and change your car around to get it inspected. Besides a wise man once said-"If you play with a turd, you'll get sh*t on your hands."
Old 04-25-2004, 05:26 PM

Well, considering that I'm looking at moving towards a career in law enforcement, it would look pretty bad for me to have illegal parts on my car.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by terd ferguson
......its desperatly needed. I see way too many S 2000's ....light up windscreens.... etc. that were better off on the 92 camry's that kind of stuff came from.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:10 PM

To each his own. In my opinion 20 light up windscreens is too many.My philosophy is that of sports TUNING. Light up windscreens and non-functional parts are not a part of this philosophy. I don't want to start a war. The S 2000 is a sports car that is unrivaled in handling and driving pleasure. I choose to only add parts that enhance the pleasure of sports driving. Please notice I keep using the term "sports". This is my tuning philosophy. Any item that does not enhance power or power delivery, any item that does not improve the rigidity of the chassis, any item that does not save weight is out of place on my car. Do as you will. I feel items like the lightup windscreens mentioned earlier are better left to the "movie tuning" type of cars. I feel the S 2000 should not be one of those types of cars. That's my opinion. I understand if you disagree.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:25 PM

ok in my opinion

a cold air intake is a cold air intake

generic or aem if they are basicly the same size, length and similar bends id go with the 50.00 one, and spend a few more $$ on a good k&n filter.

or u can spend 250.00 on a peice of aluminum pipe thats got teh AEM name on it, if it makes u feel better.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, I've sold around 40 or so lighted windscreens, with another batch of 8 going out in another week or two.

Does it make the car faster? No.
Does it make the owner enjoy the car a little bit more? Yes.
Isn't it what makes for a happy owner the best mod? Absolutely.

So you prefer tuning over bling...that's an opinion, and completely acceptable. We had an owner who felt it was his God given duty to inform us heathens how we were blasphemers for doing anything to the car that wasn't performance related...and most eventually tired of having that opinion rammed down our throats at every turn. I suggest you stay away from creating such a "performance only" thread as you mentioned before, as it just doesn't sit too well with the corwd as a whole, regardless of whether or not they agree with it.

Originally posted by Terd Ferguson
From what I understand, those cheap ebay-style intakes suffer from heat soak like crazy. I would assume it's the cheap material they are made from. If that's the case, you'd lose power. Not good. Cheap parts are for cheap cars. Go with quality for a quality car like the s 2000 and you will not regret it. What do you expect from a $55 intake anyway? If he sends the cash to me, he won't have to deal with the problems of installing a POS that does not fit well and only remove it anyway in a week after he finds out he lost 8hp on the dyno. Come on y'all, if you want cheap parts you can buy at pep boys, you should've bought a 90 accord.
As a side note, though, for someone who claims to be all about performance, you sure have an odd (and incorrect) view of CAIs. While the basic sentiment of "cheap parts for cheap cars" generally rings true, what's the difference between $50 aluminum tubing and $250 aluminum tubing? The welds could be bad, but I doubt it. The filter could be crap, but easily replaced with $50, leaving a nice $150 to spend elsewhere...like a nice, lighted windscreen .

All of the CAI's will heat soak unless wrapped in something, regardless of its origin from eBay or AEM...it has nothing to do with the material they're made out of since they are all made from the same materials. With AEM, you pay for a name and an OK filter, but it doesn't make the car go any faster. If you wanted to be a stickler about performance, you could say the AEM is actually slower because it has those heavy AEM stickers on the tube
Old 04-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Administrator

I think they're talking about C.A.R.B. stickers there Mr. Wizard

Quick Reply: AEM intake for $230 or Cheap for $55?