S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AEM CAI, a quick question for all who installed it.

Old 07-26-2002, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM CAI, a quick question for all who installed it.

Last night I installed a red AEM cold air in my S. First let me say the hours on my back trimming the splash guards was worth it. However, when I took it out in the early hours for its shake down run I heard a minor rattling at idle. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a reason and remedy for it? I think it might me the down pipe touching a metal pipe somewhere below, but I can't be sure.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also: what STB will clear the AEM CAI? I had/have a Neuspeed STB but it does not clear the intake pipe.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:06 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Check this thread for stb clearing Injen CAI including pics.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=25867
Old 07-26-2002, 08:17 AM

On the AEM CAI the downpipe has a bolt with a rubber bushing on it. Make sure that bolt is fastened securely as the rubber bushing absorbs any vibrations. Make sure that nothing else touches the downpipe, for example, make sure the plastic splash guard is not touching the downpipe. Cut the splash guard a little bit larger than the diameter of the downpipe otherwise when the car is driven, the wind will make the splash guard vibrate against the downpipe. Also if you did install the bypass valve, make sure that it does not vibrate against the radiator fan housing. Last but not least is to make sure that all other parts that were fastened to the factory intake are properly fastened to the body of the car.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:45 AM

Does the AEM bypass filter fit in-line with the CAI or do you have to make a special cut? How long did it take you to make the cuts (and do the entire install) and did you have to have it up on jacks? I am oredering my AEM CIA today, enjoy!

Thanks,
Nix
Old 07-26-2002, 10:38 AM

I just picked one of these up as well and will hopefully be installing soon - at least as soon as it gets here. Thanks for the tips. BTW: Where did you get yours and how much $$?
Old 07-26-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by nine grand
Last night I installed a red AEM cold air in my S. First let me say the hours on my back trimming the splash guards was worth it. However, when I took it out in the early hours for its shake down run I heard a minor rattling at idle. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a reason and remedy for it? I think it might me the down pipe touching a metal pipe somewhere below, but I can't be sure.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also: what STB will clear the AEM CAI? I had/have a Neuspeed STB but it does not clear the intake pipe.
I had the same rattling too. The pipe does touch a metal bar right before it bends to go to the filter. i used a piece of sticky foam to stop it. Also, I got my neuspeed stb to clear the intake. I grinded the stb a little right where it touches intake. i then added two washers underneath the stb. It raised the bar up too high for the stock bolts to go on so I bought new ones where the threaded started immediately. I also added another piece of sticky foam between the stb and intake. PM me if you want more details. I may be able to get pictures.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:28 PM

What is STB??? I know this is probably very obvious, but I cannot figure it out!
Nix
Old 07-26-2002, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nixlimited
[B]What is STB??? I know this is probably very obvious, but I cannot figure it out!
Old 07-27-2002, 02:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have any of you found a way to get rid of the whistle that the AEM makes? Sometimes the whistle is so loud, it almost sounds like a loose belt.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RU2KREDY
[B]I just picked one of these up as well and will hopefully be installing soon - at least as soon as it gets here.

Quick Reply: AEM CAI, a quick question for all who installed it.