S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Advice needed! The honda dealer stole my oil!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not unheard of for techs to swap customer oil out and take it home for themselves. Since they didn't give you back (did you look in the trunk) the 6th quart, I suspect that's what happened.

If you want confirmation, then ask Blackstone labs to send you two kits for sampling. Take a sample of your new oil (virgin), and a sample of the oil that Honda put in your car. If they are different, it will be obvious from the tests results. If they put in the wrong oil, you will get reimbursed for all your extra expenses.

If you have to have someone else change your oil with owner supplied oil, then take it somewhere that you can observe the whole process.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is why i never take my car to dealerships anymore.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Anytime you don't change your oil yourself or actually see the serviceman change your oil, you will question whether they used the oil you gave them. He probably used the correct oil, but you just don't know.

When I made my first oil change on my S2000 6 years ago I used Schaeffer's Supreme. That stuff is green, so it's easy to tell apart from other oils. But a few hundred miles later, I couldn't tell it from any other oil when looking at the dipstick.

I currently use Amsoil SSO, and there's no way I can tell it's Amsoil by looking at the dipstick or smelling it. It could easily be your suspicions playing games with you. And since the cost of a UOA is almost the same cost as the oil you're testing, it's really not worth it.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I only take mine to one dealership and that's because one of my best friends works there as a tech. He's the only one I trust to do anything to my cars if I can't do it myself.

I would get it tested just to know. Even if you don't get anything from the dealership, at least you know their worthless.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have it tested and then bitchslap 'em if they messed up.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just take the loss (if it even is a loss since it's only suspect right now) and change the oil yourself from now on. It's not worth the headache to wonder and question whether the shop mechanic was honest or not.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Unless you told them to give you the extra oil, its quite common for a shop not to give you back what little oil might be left over.

I dunno if your that paranoid about your S, why not start doing your own maintenance. I mean if you cant trust the dealer and you want piece of mind...DIY. Have you ever questioned if they really changed all your oil? did they replace your oil filter as well? did they torque everything down and use a new washer? etc etc.

btw what dealer?
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 AM

I'm not a user of Amsoil so don't know for sure, but I certainly hope it has such a truly unique smell/look/taste that it supports accusing a lube tech of theft. If it is different looking (like Royal Purple) or is mixed with sugar-free vanilla (like my wife's lattes), then go get 'em. If not, you might want to wait for confirmation from a UOA before calling the tech a crook.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM

That is terrible. Totally agree based on the principle at matter. Probably not worth the time to actually get it tested unless it was pretty accessible to you. Otherwise, just change it again to what you know is really in there. Still pretty crazy that they actually did that.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Feb 20 2009, 04:30 AM
It's not unheard of for techs to swap customer oil out and take it home for themselves. Since they didn't give you back (did you look in the trunk) the 6th quart, I suspect that's what happened.
Yes i checked the trunk, no dice. Anytime in the past i've ever taken a car in with supplied oil i've gotten the remaining stuff back, and in this case especially it would have been almost a full quart.

Quick Reply: Advice needed! The honda dealer stole my oil!