S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Advice needed! The honda dealer stole my oil!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed! The honda dealer stole my oil!

Ok, so i was having some maintenance items performed on my s2000 at my local honda dealership...and usually i do my own oil changes but i thought what the heck, the car is gonna be in there anyway so i mightaswell let them change the oil.

So when i took the car in, i supplied 6 quarts of amsoil synthetic 10w-30 oil.

First strange thing i notice, when i got the car back they didn't give me back the remaining oil (car takes just over 5 quarts, so i should have received almost a full quart back). I didn't think too much of it at the time, and figured maybe he just forgot to put it back in the car.

When i got home and checked my oil, my suspicions increased. The oil just did not seem right. It was not the same shade as fresh amsoil should be, and it did not smell right either. Now i have been using amsoil for years, so i am quite familiar with the stuff, and i am very certain they snagged my amsoil and just dumped in cheap non-synthetic honda oil that they have in the big drums at the dealership.

When i called the dealership and inquired about it, the service advisor assured me on my invoice it stated "customer supplied oil" was used, and that i was not charged for any shop oil. And when i asked about the remaining oil left over they told me the tech had already gone home for the weekend and that they would have to ask him on monday where the leftover bottle was.

So am i pretty much screwed here? I know the oil they put in my car is not my amsoil 10w-30 synthetic oil but rather cheap conventional honda oil.

Do i need to get an oil analysis done or is there any other way to prove this officially? I guess it's basically my word against theirs.

Any advice, what should i do here guys? Now i don't even know what i'm gonna do when it comes time that i have to top up my oil since i'm not even sure what kind is really in there....
Old 02-20-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know it's Amsoil and all, but it's just oil. If you are worried yor car is gonna blow up.. change it to what you use.. if you are mad about the guy possibly taking it, you will get nowhere arguing with them except the next time they see your car come in for service they will pick their nose and wipe it o the backside of the steering wheel or something. But yeah.. it's oil.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 AM

Yes, i know it is just oil, but it is the principle of the matter. I paid good money for synthetic oil which my car has always been run on, and instead i get ripped off and they just add basic conventional oil.

That seems pretty fraudulent to me....oh well, lesson learned i guess.. it just pisses me off to think that the guy can get away with this and there is not much i can do.

And yeah, call me anal but it bothers me not knowing what kind of oil is in there for sure and not being able to top it up with the exact same brand/viscosity.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 AM

i will call the dealer.
talk to manager or supervisor or boss or anyone?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:09 AM

I'll put 5 on it that "they used your oil like you asked"
Old 02-20-2009, 01:12 AM

I wasn't calling you anal either, but like I said , if it's bothering you you should switch it out so you know what's in there.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by MegaPower,Feb 20 2009, 02:03 AM
i will call the dealer.
talk to manager or supervisor or boss or anyone?
Yeah, but like i said..what proof do i have? It's basically my word against theirs.

They are gonna tell me they used my "customer supplied oil" just because it says so on the invoice, even though it's false.

I guess the only way for me to prove it to them would be to get an oil analysis done to confirm the type of oil, but i am sure that would be pretty expensive.

And it doesn't seem fair that i have to pay for that and go to all that trouble all because one of their jackass techs decided to steal my oil and tried to pass off their cheap house oil as my amsoil synthetic.

This is the type of shit you hear about dealerships that makes you wonder why they have such bad reputations and people hate bringing their cars in for service. Can't even rely on these guys to do a simple oil change for me properly...unbelievable
Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 AM

I agree with you that it's about the principle of the matter and it's f$ck up.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by istdercollen,Feb 20 2009, 02:12 AM
I wasn't calling you anal either, but like I said , if it's bothering you you should switch it out so you know what's in there.
Yeah i guess i'll have to change it again soon here for peace of mind. What a waste. Maybe i can save a sample from the oil change so i can get the oil tested at a later date to confirm what i already know.

Even if i were to confirm that the oil was not the stuff i supplied and authorized to be put in the car, what can come of it?

I imagine the tech is just gonna get a little slap on the wrist from the service manager, if anything.

But even though it is something very minor, is this still not considered some form of fraud?? Anybody know? The invoice lists the tech number so it would be easily traceable back to the guy.

I just don't want this guy thinking he can keep getting away with this, who knows how many other people he has done the same thing to.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:11 AM

i think it would be interesting to get it tested...but i'm not sure if it'd be worth the time or the effort for you.

it is a matter of principle, though, like you said...if this were me and i had easy access to a way to test, i would do it!

Quick Reply: Advice needed! The honda dealer stole my oil!