S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Accidental Drifting

Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Accidental Drifting

Hello,

I would like to make sure that im not on my own on this one, heres my problem:

Its recently starting raining in the UK a fair bit. (Imagine that)

Even at speeds of 10 - 20mph, something as simple as even slighly letting off the trottle, the weightshift through the car is enough to send the backend out at least 20 degrees (enough to cause you a problem as you wasnt expecting it).

I have managed to get the backend back in before it causes a problem most of the time, but within the past 2 weeks I have found myself facing traffic more than once and to be honest its scaring the hell out of me as I have no idea what im doing wrong.

Its not even as if im driving like a nut, but it seems even very responsible driving and light acceleration warrents the backend to go out.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 AM

Three main things come to mind.

are your tires bald?
too much air pressure in the rear tires?
get an alignment
Old 07-07-2008, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by s2kobsession,Jul 7 2008, 03:45 AM
Three main things come to mind.

are your tires bald?
too much air pressure in the rear tires?
get an alignment
Thanks mate, I suspect the pressure may be a little high.

Does anyone know what the PSI should be for the standard rears? 32 isnt it? I think im at 36.

Ill check the tires for tread in a minute, it sounds like water dispersition isnt happening as my handling in the dry is insane.

I think my alignment may be ok as dry handling is up to par.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 AM
mlc

On the rears especially look at the inside tread on the tire. It is easy to feel the outside edge and think you are fine. The car usually will wear the inside edge out first.

mlc
Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 AM

what kind of tires are you running it may be time to switch to some all season tires
Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '08 won't let me do that! Unless I turn off the VSA...
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another important variable to think about is the kind of tires you have on. They might be awesome in the dry but not really made to be driven in rain. If it's available, take a look at your tires rating in the rain. And if that is the case, factor in how much treads you have left. This should tell you why you are sliding everywhere. Becareful out there.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 AM

I think ive just realised what it is....

Ive got budget tires on the back....

Previous owner clearly decided bridgestones were too expensive.

Bollocks.

Cheers for the advice.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

If you're sliding around like that at such low speeds and not stabbing the throttle, you have some serious issues. Either that or you're driving in a monsoon and there is a massive amount of water on the road.

I get some float issues typically at 50+ mph in a heavy rainstorm but I'm running Falken RT-615 Azenis that are (at best) very bad in the rain.

I've never had my car do what you're talking about at such low speeds.

Low tread and high pressures in the wet, combined with moderately low temperatures, will absolutely destroy traction, though. I've spun the tires at 4000-5000 rpm at moderate throttle in those conditions but if I'm just shifting easy (ie, 3500 rpm or less), the car is just fine.

Don't forget that abrupt throttle, even at low rpm, can break the tires loose in the wet and cold. You definitely need to have a delicate right foot in those conditions.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Cheap tires don't necessarily equate to poor straight line traction. What tires are on the back, and in what size? If they're all-seasons or have moderately open tread, your traction should actually be quite good in the rain compared to many high performance, summer-only tires with narrow cwater channels, nearly solid treads, and blocky shoulders.

Quick Reply: Accidental Drifting