S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

about to buy s2k need guidence

Old 07-23-2002, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump
Old 07-23-2002, 04:12 PM

Also whats retail on the hard top the dealer said 4k but i doubt it is that much
Old 07-23-2002, 06:16 PM

you guys should be able to purchase the s2000 at MSRP, especially if 2 are going at the same time. you should try and get it below MSRP.

hardtop retails at $2999.95 i believe. dealer cost is $2290. there are deals on this board selling the hardtop for $2000 + shipping. i've heard installation isn't terribly hard, but you can buy the hardtop here and bring it to a dealership to install it...3-4 hours at $72(?) an hour. much cheaper than that $4000 price tag the dealership said.

not really much you can do with suspension, other than coilovers and that x-brace everyone else is talking about. and 18's...not much to choose from that will fit the s2000 without rubbing issues...

as for the car living between 4k-8.5k rpm, i have no idea cuz my car was bought 3 months ago. considering the car has only been out for 3 years, can't really say much about the longevity of the engine. only thing going for it is that its a honda. and honda has an excellent track record reguarding reliable motors.

hope this helps!!!

mike
Old 07-23-2002, 06:34 PM

All I'm going to say is you won't stop driving it after you get in.

I forget who said this on here, "Drive it like you stole it". Follow those words to the "T".
Old 07-23-2002, 07:58 PM

is the hard top really a 4 hour process (i guess removing it for the weekend is out of the question ) why is it so hard to do? as for price im going for msrp with the hardtop for $1000 seems fair for everyone any other suggestions would help alot thanks
Old 07-23-2002, 11:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by news2kroller
is the hard top really a 4 hour process (i guess removing it for the weekend is out of the question ) why is it so hard to do? as for price im going for msrp with the hardtop for $1000 seems fair for everyone any other suggestions would help alot thanks
The 4 hour quote is what it takes to install the hardtop the first time as some interior bits need to be swapped out for pieces that accomodate the hardtop guide pins. Though I don't have any experience with it myself, people I've talked to say that the hardtop removal/install takes about 15 minutes for two people to do after that.

MSRP + hardtop for $1000 is a great price if you can get it, as the hardtop usually goes for a bit under $4000 itself, so you're actually getting about $3000 off sticker, an excellent deal...
Old 07-24-2002, 11:32 AM

thanks for the ingo guys heresi have 2 more questions if i run the right springs/ shocks tie bars braces and wheels and tires can my car out corner anything on the road? last questio n(i promise) does your s2000 feel a but weak, when i test drove it the shifter and clutch felt so light it didnt give me the feeling of my old bmw m3 is this the case or is it just something to get used to?? thanks alot
Old 07-24-2002, 01:46 PM

Question 1:
You will be able to corner hard, but not out corner everything out there. For example, Viper's and Corvettes have much more tire surface area which gives them big traction advantages. No matter how rigid, your link to the road is the tires and with less surface area, your outa luck. I bet it will still corner hard enough to make you queasy though. Also, mid-engine cars like the porsche boxster have an advantage because of the engine placement.
Question 2
The clutch in the S2000 is considered by some people to be the weakest link in the drivetrain, followed by the diff. Some work in these two areas would be required if you want a better launching car, but otherwise I find them quite enjoyable in everyday driving.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:09 PM

but if i went like 245 rear and 225 front ill be pulling 1g easy (with the right suspenrion and tires) i just want my car co corner like a dream and feel like a race car
Old 07-31-2002, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Nixlimited
Question 1:
You will be able to corner hard, but not out corner everything out there. For example, Viper's and Corvettes have much more tire surface area which gives them big traction advantages. No matter how rigid, your link to the road is the tires and with less surface area, your outa luck. I bet it will still corner hard enough to make you queasy though. Also, mid-engine cars like the porsche boxster have an advantage because of the engine placement.
Question 2
The clutch in the S2000 is considered by some people to be the weakest link in the drivetrain, followed by the diff. Some work in these two areas would be required if you want a better launching car, but otherwise I find them quite enjoyable in everyday driving.
Would u say that an S2000 could 'out handle' a vette, maybe even a viper? When i say vette, im excluding Z06 models, as i would think the S could not hang with the Zo6.

Quick Reply: about to buy s2k need guidence