S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

about to buy s2k need guidence

Old 07-20-2002, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to buy s2k need guidence

after driving nothing but european sports cars for a long timei have been bitten by the s2k! while currently looking at an m coupe my friend dragged me kicking and screaming to test trive the s2k. I had always prefered high speed european cars as the car i currently grive is a 1999 c43 amg mercedes with quite a few additions. i have a few questions about the car for you guys who own them.

1.when i test drove it i didnt feel lots of low end power if i plan on only doing headers,intake and exhaust will this help or do i neeeeed to supercharge it for lots of useable power.

2. i plan on spending most of my money on suspension as i feel that that is more important than the motor, i want to pull over 1g and im wondering who you guys have gone with for your springs/shocks tiebars,and sway bars.

3.how much attention do you guys get from cops?
and finally tell me every bad thing about your s2k (aside from small trunk,and bad radio thanks i plan on getting the s2k with in 2 weeks as soon as i sell my mercedes
Old 07-20-2002, 09:36 PM

1. From my research, yes those things will help it run smoothly and a little more aggressively but only an SC or turbo is going to turn it into a drag racer, imo. The danger there seems to be the weak clutch and differential. Seems more than a few folks have overpowered those items.
2. The suspension seems damn nice to me but others have recommended an X-Brace (Spoon or Digrappa seem popular).
3. I get too much attention from all the wrong folks, including cops.

There's an amazing amount of bitches, rants and kudos on this board about being an S2K owner. Dig into the search for specific items and you'll find a lot of pre-purchase info.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:52 PM

if i add just headers intake, and exhaust i wont have any problems with breaking stuff an additional 25hp wont do much to the diff,tranny but i plan on driving the hell out of it will i have problems breaking diffs and trannys??
Old 07-21-2002, 07:48 AM

anyone know i need more advice before i buy this car thanks
Old 07-21-2002, 09:25 AM

news2kroller,

You are right about the low end power, it is very deficient, but that was never anything anyone tried to hide about the S2k, most people get their pleasure from this car by driving it to 9000 RPMs without breaking anything, which cannot be done in other cars. If you are planning on a drag car, you should look elsewhere, but if you are looking for the potential to really tear some people up in street races, you will need the supercharger, IMO the turbo is not going to help you with launches because of boost lag, especially with a car that needs so many RPMs to really get going. Also, consider spending some money to upgrade the clutch and you can get much better launches. Also, DON'T mess with the suspension. Many years of hard work and lots of math by engineers went into making it nearly perfect, and that is much more than you can say for all the aftermarket sellers that just want your money. Your best bet is to buy products which will further stiffen the car (like the x-brace), but do not mess with the geometry, the car already handles beautifully, take it to a track and you will see. The stereo sucks, IMO all cars should come with the option to just prewire speaker locations and such, but leave everything else out so you can just build it from the ground up. However, you don't have to spend too much to fill the little cabin with lots of good sound. The trunk space is terrible, but hey, that is what you bargained for and it is doable as a daily driver as long as you are not a PGA pro. Other than that, I couldn't love this car more, I just go out and drive it to drive it and I often turn off the radio to just listen to the engine hummmmm. You will really love the car, no doubt so enjoy it and send me a message if you get the supercharger....I will be very jealous cause I cannot afford it as a college student.

Nix
Old 07-21-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by news2kroller
if i add just headers intake, and exhaust i wont have any problems with breaking stuff an additional 25hp wont do much to the diff,tranny but i plan on driving the hell out of it will i have problems breaking diffs and trannys??
You won't get 25 HP from those items. The F20C engine is hoghly tuned from the factory at 120hp/liter. Don't expect the "usual" gains with this very unusual engine.

If you want a car that feels like a small formula car complete with a screaming high powerband, a snick snick 6 speed shifter, and instant steering response, the S2000 is what you are looking for.

If on the otherhand you want less involvement as a driver and just want to torque your way around without having to downshift find something else.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by news2kroller
25hp? hehe. You might want to do a quick search on the board for dynos of S2k's with I/H/E. You'll notice max gains of (maybe) 10 hp. Honda tuned the car quite well from the factory. Add an air/fuel controller (Apex'i V-AFC), and you might get another 10hp. Bolt-ons like these will not add enough power to break the diff and tranny, unless you're doing clutch-drop launches, which can break things even when you're stock.

Matt
Old 07-21-2002, 11:29 AM

I JUST GOT MY S2K ABOUT A WEAK AGO ON THE 11 IT WAS A USED CAR 2001 SILVER W/ RED INTERIOR W/ 17K MILES ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT CAR IS THAT I LOVE IT
Old 07-22-2002, 11:44 AM

ya i love the fact that the car can rev so high i currently have a 4.3liter v8 amg motor and the thing cuts out at 6200!!! its nothing, i love the fact that the shifter is first of all perfect and second its as high as your torso! feels like im driving a race car! with that said i am going to just add 18" wheels and alot of suspension i want my car to pull 1g in the rain . i guess im not going to do much for performance stuff. the only thing im wondering about is how tough is the diff if i drive the hell out of it (no clutch dumps but i will track the car) also my freind and i are each buying s2k's and we are asking msrp from the dealer is this realistic??? or is there 34,750 more realistic, thanks i plan on getting the car with in 2 weeks as soon as my benz is sold
Old 07-22-2002, 04:07 PM

im also wondering how reliable is this motor can the motor basically live between 4000-8500 or will i be having work dont in 4 years or so?? thanks

Quick Reply: about to buy s2k need guidence