S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

!= (_)

Old 06-06-2001, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should get the code for free...

Herb Chambers in Seekonk is no charm either. Wanted $39,900 when I was shopping last year. No options. When I told the sales manager I was paying cash AND my wife was shopping for a CRV or Passport, he said "if you don't buy it someone else will". I told him I had another one lined up at Peter's Honda in NH for only $2500 over to wit he replied, "I doubt it, but if so, get it."

It sat on the lot for months.

I still wanted to buy locally so the next car I found was at Cambridge Honda. I was set to take delivery when the dealer told me the car had been damaged. There was a crease in the passenger side fender and door. I appreciated that they told me as they could have fixed it without telling me. I told them to fix it, but didn't commit. Once I saw the repair, it looked pretty good except for the bondo residue I could see on the door edge. I walked away because they wouldn't budge from $3000 over MSRP even after being damaged.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:28 AM

Why Herb Chambers is the largest dealership in NE I will never understand. I went to them over the internet for an M5 and they wanted $35,000 over invoice, yes that is right a S2000 over invoice. Amazing that so many others will purchase from them...
Old 06-06-2001, 09:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Munch
[B]Why Herb Chambers is the largest dealership in NE I will never understand.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:18 PM

I read an article in the Globe of how he had a McLaren F1 in his Somerville Mercedes showroom.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:38 PM

Received 92 Likes on 64 Posts

Tim,

I have seen the F1 in his Mercedes, Porsche, Saab shop in Somerville. He has a huge personal collection of cars.

In late September 99, I visited his Comm Ave. showroom. The S2000 on the floor had a tag of $45,000 (bulked up with options and markup).

Look, the guy has top locations around town and a mix of premium and other brands. He is able to zonk the students and people who want to stay within the city. With that cash flow, he keeps picking off the weaker dealers and spreading his brand collection.

I don't think he has much in the Ford owned brand area though.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:30 PM

JiggaTaOG,

the dealership is messing with you. the $80 charge is mandated by the removal of the radio, not by the lookup of the code. take the radio serial number and proof of ownership to any other dealership in the area and they should look it up. this from experience. good luck.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:00 PM

Herb Chambers sucks balls. It's sad when money fogs up peoples' minds and they no longer care for who made them, their customers. Good service never hurt anyone. The two biggest dealers in New England has to be Herb Chambers and Ernie Boch. Ernie Boch has a reputation to be the most arrogant person on earth. I think it is because in addition to his many dealerships he also gets a piece of every Subaru that comes to the United States for being the only person to have enough faith in them when no one knew what Subarus were. His house on Martha's Vineyard has a driveway hand laid with Italian stones that's so long you can't even see the house. He also has two llamas on his front lawn. Maybe all this is getting to him. And Herb Chambers? Everyone in New England knows of his extensive car collection. I'm not hating on these guys because they have a lot of money. I just hate it when people have too much money and think that money makes them better than anyone else. They may have it now but like many stated already their ridiculous prices and reputation for horrible service can take it all away. Maybe I should open up a dealership.
Old 06-06-2001, 08:04 PM

I bought my car used and had no radio code...

the dealer told me they would have to charge me to pull the radio, but I could do it myself and give them the serial # off the radio.

So, I got Pinky's directions and pulled it... 20 mins from the time I started the project til I had the number written down...

If you have any difficulties, email me and I will try to hook you up with my service guy...

basically, once you have the serial number, they can search the computer for the code nationwide...

so its not a dealer specific thing...