S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

6th gear grinds now?!?

Old 10-07-2001, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6th gear grinds now?!?

OK, what the hell! My transmission is on crack! For those of you who have been reading up on my 1-2 grind problem, you'll know what I'm going through. Now, listen to this shit. When it grinds into second, anytime you put it into 6th gear after 2nd gear grinds, 6th gear will grind also!!!!! So there is no way of getting the car to go into 6th gear unless I let it grind. But once I let it grind that once, it will go in normally. But if 2nd gear grinds again, so will 6th. I was driving with my friend in the car and 2nd gear grinded. I told him watch, now 6th gear will grind. And yep, there it was!!! And the last time my car grinded second gear heavily, it made the entry and exit of 1st gear very stiff. The dealer sorta made it softer, but now, you almost have to SLAM it into 1st gear! Someone told me that it's because when I grind 2nd gear, the gears or synchros (whatever, I don't know) get misaligned, which does not sound like it's good for the tranny.

And I don't know if anybody has ever thought about this, but here I go. We all know that our transmission has an internal oil pump to lubricate all the gears better. Now when our tranny grinds gears, and shaves off the bits and pieces of metal, especially for those of us that have experienced this a lot, won't it ruin the internal oil pump? Cause think about it, all those metal bits are gonna be sucked into the pump. When they get sucked into the pump, won't that clog it and therefore prevent the pump from lubricating the gears properly? So in other words, everytime we grind gears, it will only mean that it's gonna get worst and worst because the oil pump will be getting more clogged and the gears will be getting insufficient lubrication. Shoot! Whos to say that the oil pump isn't pumping pieces of metal in between the gears?!?!

It's weird, but the only gears I've had problems with are 2nd, 4th and 6th, all the lower ones. Yes, 4th gear has grinded on me as well a few times! And the stifness in first gear was caused by the 2nd gear grind.
Old 10-07-2001, 01:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Why hasn't the dealer fixed your trans?? Have you taken it in??
Old 10-08-2001, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Stook is in for repairs at present. I have 3 gearbox problems.

1. 1-2 grind
2. 2-3 baulking and chaging 2-5 instead, accompanied with grind.
3. 6th locking out completely and then once forced in shifts are very stiff.

I have been told I will not have my car back for another fortnight (two weeks) whilst they await new 5th and 6th synchros to be shipped from japan.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because they couldn't produce the gear grind and they "fixed the stifness in 1st gear. But I took it in todayand they drove the car and saw what the problem is and totally agreed that the car has a problem. Cause now, 6th gear will grind anytime I take the car into VTEC in second gear and then shift straight to sixth. And I don't know why, but I'm completly locked outta 5th gear now. And of course, the 1st gear stifness and the 2nd gear grind are still there as well.

I do wanna say though that the people at the dealer are awesome! Great customer service!! Weseloh Honda. There prices suck, but you gotta love their service department!
Old 10-08-2001, 08:17 PM

I had this crap happend in my 2000 Mustang. That's the reason I have the S2000 now. Most Honda dealers can not take apart a tranny and repair it! Transmission work is too complicated. So, if they end up working on your tranny, they will most likely have the work done by a transmission expert. Just have it replaced! Demand it, talk to a Honda rep, do whatever, but don't have it repaired.
Old 10-08-2001, 08:18 PM

If you want to know why, I'll fax you my service records for my Mustang tranny.