S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

4.57 gears

Old 08-12-2004, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 4.57 gears

I am just curious as to if anyone who has installed these gears regrets it due to their whining? is the whining really that loud? I am seriously considering these but my car is a daily driver. What have those who have them experienced on the highway, any lack of top end? Help a brother out before I get these and regret it, or don't get them and regret it again Thanx in advance everyone

-tim
Old 08-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll start

I've never regretted it. The 4.57's make the car more driveable not just down low but also on the freeway in 5th and 6th gears. The car doesn't lug like it used to. You can jump in the left lane and pass without downshifting.

My gears whine a little. It is mostly noticeable on acceleration above 60 mph. It diminishes at constant or cruising speed. My car doesn't come out in the rain so I don't know what it is like with the top up.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bro,
I can't answer yet, but if we hook up when i go pick up my car @ Ganley's you can find out first hand. My car is my daily driver also. I really don't think the "whinning" will be that bad. Also remember, I think the Spoon exhaust isn't Loud.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:24 AM

the last 2 people that who I wanted to respond ....anyone else?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a pretty extensive mod and a "life-altering" one for the car. If you have doubts, the best thing to do is to ride and drive in one to satisfy your mind. With all these reports of the 4.57s whining, it would have been very helpful and beneficial if someone had monitored the diff temps in various driving situations to make sure the noise is not an indication of abnormal heat buildup. Heat may be a contributing factor to diff failures down the road.
Modifry has documented some temps with his stock gearing and I've got temps for the 4.44s. So far, the two have been right in line with each other, so I can be quite confident that my gears are functioning properly. Also, I have no whine with my gears and my fluid analysis has shown no abnormal wear. It would be nice to have this sort of information so we can know for sure that the whine in the 4.57s is not translating into wear.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:36 PM

I agree....sounds like the 4.44 with proper install have no issues...maybe some others with the 4.57 can chime in...thanx xviper
Old 08-12-2004, 01:39 PM

I plan on riding in an S equiped with them on the highway.....I have driven one with the gears installed but only in the city...never climbed out of 3rd so I'm not sure of any highway driving issues
Old 08-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

While I have no scientific proof I would say that the evidence so far suggests that the whining is just part of these particular gears and not indicative of wear. Ganley Honda spent countless hours trying different settings on Rick's car before the gears were even released, and Rick's car whines. I'm pretty sure they made sure there wasn't excessive heat buildup during their trials, although only they can say for sure. Additionally, as far as I know EVERY 4.57 installation has had the whine. Considering that numerous different shops have installed them this fact supports the argument that these are just whiny gears. I have about 5k on mine, including a couple of track days, and they're still working fine. I'll report back in a year with my long term report.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:05 PM

Strike, on a scale from 1-10 (10 being the loudest) how would you rate them on the highway while cruising at say 60-80 mph? not meaning to sound corning, just trying to get a feel (sorta) until I can ride on the highway with them...thanx in advance.

-tim
Old 08-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by efthimios,Aug 12 2004, 03:05 PM
Strike, on a scale from 1-10 (10 being the loudest) how would you rate them on the highway while cruising at say 60-80 mph? not meaning to sound corning, just trying to get a feel (sorta) until I can ride on the highway with them...thanx in advance.

-tim
Hard to quantify without defining how loud 1 is and how loud 10 is. I consider the noise to be on the lower side of moderate, so maybe a 4? Some people think the car is loud stock just because it's a convertible, while that never bothered me. I can say that the whine doesn't bother me, although it is noticeable. I would definitely recommend to anyone that is considering them that they get a ride in one, under the conditions they expect to use them, before making the purchase.

Quick Reply: 4.57 gears