S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

360 degree spin, hit curb directly on wheel, no body damage, advice needed

Old 08-28-2002, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 360 degree spin, hit curb directly on wheel, no body damage, advice needed

The roads were wet. I was at a stoplight and went through 1st till about 8k, then eased off because I knew that if I had VTEC it hard again at a higher speed I would spin. Well, as soon as I came off the throttle, I spun, perfectly around, almost caught it, then I started to veer to the right and hit the curb directly on the wheel. I started it, drove to a parking lot to assess the damage. No body damage, wheel is scratched (of course) and the car is very badly out of line. I can drive it, but to keep it straight I have to hold the wheel like I am making a moderate left-hand turn.

Ok, I am VERY affraid of driving fast in the rain which is why I came off in second. But I believe when I came off the trottle, the weight transfered to the front and the rear got very light, combined with the wet road = spin. I learned my lesson and am very angry with myself even though I wasn't going recklessly fast.

Has any one hit their wheel hard and know of what potential suspension/axle probs I may have? It will go into the shop tomorrow or the next. Any past experiences or thoughts would gladly be appreciated.

Anthony
Old 08-28-2002, 06:56 PM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have some bent suspension arms, hub or depending on the extent, even a slightly bent crossmember...

Since the hit was probably from the bottom of the wheel, the bottom will have been pushed in causing toe-in and positive camber, if you're lucky, the alignement shop will be able to restore them to stock specs, if there were parts bent then you will need to replace them in order to get the full adjustment range and return to stock spec...
Old 08-28-2002, 07:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with Sev. So are we to assume that this was the front wheel that hit the curb?

Just a word of caution: Rain + S02 + Vtec = Bad. The stock tires are great on dry roads, but get them wet and they can be tricky. Mine is a daily driver, so I drive when it rains and I have learned "Drive like I am on Ice" when it is wet. Just better safe then sorry.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:06 PM

Thank you very much. It was the bottom of the wheel. I noticed the hub was bent but the suspension arms didn't look bent to me. BTW Sev, awesome acceleration times. Must have been some seriously high RPM clutch drops. I def. dont do that, at least not until I get an upgraded clutch. Damn the rain!
Old 08-28-2002, 07:08 PM

Front wheel, S03's. Thank you Jshahan, I have the same attitude, but I obviously went just a little too far.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:16 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear. I'd really recommend you or anyone else for that matter take some high performance driving courses. I used to push my front wheel drive in the wet because I knew it's much more controllable and forgiveable but I would not dare do the same things with the S2K or any rear wheel drive as the margin for error is so much lower. Never lift off throttle quickly in mid-turn or at such high rpm on the wet. You are correct, the weight transferred forward and you're swapping ends before you knew it. Not coming down on you or anything but I'd recommend the driving techniques before modding the car. Good luck, hope it's not damaged too badly.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:44 PM

yes, I know, very surprising......and scary
Old 08-28-2002, 07:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anthonymv
[B]The roads were wet.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:46 PM

I think it's more than just weight transfer! At 8000 RPM you have TONS of engine braking! You might have "locked" the rears, or at the very least significantly slowed the rears down relative to the front. You could have achieved the same by pulling the handbrake mid turn. Weight Transfer+rear wheel engine braking+wet roads+lack of judgement (sorry had to say it, who needs 8000 RPM in the rain?) = slight mishap. I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard (and expensive) way, it really sucks for this kind of thing to happen to anyone. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anthonymv
[B]The roads were wet.

Quick Reply: 360 degree spin, hit curb directly on wheel, no body damage, advice needed