S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

350z and s2000

Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z and s2000

I am currently driving the Z and thinking to trade for the S... anyone here had done that before? I heard the handling is so much better in the S.. Also the fun
Can you guys tell the major differences when you drive??
Old 11-01-2008, 01:49 AM

I haven't owned a 350Z, but have driven some. The handling is much different. The S is much sharper and has a planted feeling when driving near the limit (can be twitchy though). It's also a much lighter vehicle, which gives the feeling of being quicker. My advice is to go drive one and see for yourself. You're posting on an S2000 website so everyone will typically say go with the S.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:22 AM

They are in the same price range, but they really drive very differently. The S2000 feels slow in comparison (though it really isn't much slower in straightline acceleration) ... but handling and fun-factor are much better ...
Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The practicality factor belongs with the Z. The S is truly a single purpose vehicle that has zero purpose other than a car that needs to be driven. An expensive but capable toy as others have described it and probaby as close to an accurate description as we can get. If I were you I'd get the S but I'm also biased. Perhaps you should take a little time and think this thing through before you trade. It is always possibe that you could be dissapointed.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had both at the same time. The S is WAY much more fun and more precise in it's handling whereas the Z is better on the highway, but that is mostly the versatility of the hardtop.

As far as speed goes, you'll be surprised at which is faster. What year model Z do you have?

My experience only goes for the 06 & 07 with the 300 hp engine. The earlier models of course would be slower.

First of all park your Z right next to an S. You will be amazed at how much bigger and porkier the Z is than the S. The Z is much bigger than a Viper, which I also have.

Now back to speed. We've put the Z and the S together in just about every situation you can imagine from starts designed to capitalize on the weaknesses of both cars to even drag race matches.

At rolling 1,000-1,500 starts in any gear you want to name the Z will slaughter the S for about 2 car lengths.

Raise the rolling start to 3,000 and the cars are fairly evenly matched with the Z just slightly better at tip in.

You notice I have only mentioned the the lower end of the spectrum. Once the S hits VTEC it leaps forward and makes up lost ground on the Z. The S just loves the high rpms and while the Z will turn higher rpms, well up to 7,000ish, it's turning, but not pulling hard.

This means that in an even up type of match the S wins by a nose (or maybe more). That 3,000 rpm rolling start, has the Z jumping a fender length or maybe even to the door ahead of the S, but when the S hits VTEC that's all gone.

When we've done rolling starts that put the Z and S at the upper end of the power band, the Z drops back just as quickly as the S did in the low rpm roll offs.

If you do a drag type launch the Z will launch more consistently than the S, but on a good launch the S powers the Z out of the hole and stays in front the whole way down the track.

Why is the Z slower than you thought? I mean it's got all that torque and it makes 50 more hp? Well it's weight. Remember I said it's bigger than a Viper. Another way to say that is that the Viper is almost exactly the same size as the S. The Z is pulling so much more weight that I have to downshift more in the Z than I do in the S when I am on curvy roads or hit a hill.

The biggest drawback I found with the Z is the power steering, it won't let you make quick inputs, it fights you. At an autocross even a slaloom will exceed the limits of the steering. You can make it turn, but be prepared to muscle it as the power steering simply won't keep up. This isn't anything you'll normally notice on the street, but in an emergency situation I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to react quickly enough in the Z.

But if you are into modding the Z has more aftermarket help there. The engine still has more hp left under the hood than the S does, but don't expect to buy any of that untapped horsepower cheaply and most of it isn't easy to install.

I really like some of the features on the Z you can't get on the S like nav, but if I had to have only one it would be the S.

Hope that helps.

Oh, I forgot to mention gas mileage. Hauling all that extra weight comes at a price, it will cost you way more to fill up the Z and you'll do it quite a bit more often.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was stuck between both cars when i was choosing to buy a new car and i obviously chose to gowith the s.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by JackS,Nov 1 2008, 08:32 AM
The practicality factor belongs with the Z. The S is truly a single purpose vehicle that has zero purpose other than a car that needs to be driven.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Wildncrazy,Nov 1 2008, 06:21 AM] Why is the Z slower than you thought?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go out and get a test drive. I did before I go for an S.
S2000
Pro: feel good at the track in control all the time at the limits, handling sharp, tranny and of course VTEC sing at 6-8000. It also look better top up.
Con: high rev engine, no torque.
350Z
Pro: feel heavy and solid good cruizser. Nice torque to drive around town. Planty of aftermarket parts to play with.
Con: look funny with the top up. Heavy feeling at the track.

I do take my car to the track that why I go with an S. If it just a everyday drive I might go for and Z.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Nov 1 2008, 11:03 AM
?

I'd like to see some actual dimensions to back this up...the Viper certainly looks alot bigger to me
I was thinking the same thing so I looked up the dimensions and here's the results. Not sure what year they were for but I'm guessing all years would be pretty close.

Here's the Viper dimensions according to Motortrend:

Wheelbase, in./mm 96.2/2444
Track, f/r, in./mm 59.6/60.6/1514/1538
Length, in./mm 175.1/4485
Width, in./mm 75.7/1924
Height, in./mm 44.0/1117

And here's the S2K's dimensions according to Motortrend:

wheelbase, in./mm 94.5/2400
length, in./mm 162.0/4115
width, in./mm 68.9/1750
height, in./mm 50.6/1285

Quick Reply: 350z and s2000