S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

350z?

Old 04-23-2002, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I am a real fan of the S2K, and was DEFINATELY POSITIVELY SURE I wanted one until I saw the 350Z and the price tag.

It's a larger car with more HP, and only 300 lbs or so more weight than the S2K... I personally thought that the S2K was a bit small (size of a miata)...

Plus, I can get an "Enthusiast" model which comes with some goodies for $28,789 including destination, and I've had no problem finding dealers with MSRP. That is at least $4,000 less than the S2K, and dealers in So. Cal are still hard to persuade for MSRP on the S2K.

People, please try to dissuade me from pre-ordering the 350Z!!!

Give me the pros and cons, being as objective as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-2002, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll hold my opinions on the car until I see it in person and better yet - drive it. Nissan always delivers a great product.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:19 AM

That's the decision I made about a month ago. Ultimately it's a big purchase and it's a decision that you have to make for yourself. Of course the opinions on this site are going to be biased towards the s2000 but I've found this board to be the best board of any kind and I find myself back here again and again even though I think I'm getting a Z although I am still on the fence. You can do what I did and go place a deposit on a Z (make sure it's refundable) and then when it arrives drive one and decide for yourself which of the two you want. It's kind of silly to make comparisons when one of the two hasn't even been introduced to the public yet.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:20 AM

I'm holding out too just to see what it's like, but I have a bad feeling the 350Z's might have higher insurance and could be a dime-a-dozen car. They look nice though, however, cars with 240 hp might not have the speed like an s2000 has.

The jury is still out too....

I still rarely see s2000's around here.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thunderchicken
[B]I'm holding out too just to see what it's like, but I have a bad feeling the 350Z's might have higher insurance and could be a dime-a-dozen car.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:34 AM

Bullish,

Nissan makes good cars. I don't even see one Nissan on this lemon list (where our S2000 is pretty damn high):

http://www.lemonlaw.com/lemonlist.html

I wouldn't pre-order one though...wait until it comes out so you can compare it to the S2000.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:35 AM

The Z is going to be a great car. But as has been done a bazillion times here, it's an apples to oranges comparison. BTW, for those of you that decide the 350Z is what you will get I have connection with a south GA dealer that makes very good deals. They sell Cadillac, Jeeps & Nissans @ $300 - $500 over invoice. I too have a friend that owns an Infiniti dealership in N Florida if your interested in the G35 Coupe variety of that platform. The G35 won't go for $300 - $500 over but it will be reasonable. PM me if your interested in either. Keep in mind that the release for the Z is summer & the G35 Coupe will be fall as I understand it. If you have yet to see the G35 Coupe go to caranddriver.com or motortrend.com & click on the auto show icon.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:55 AM

I like the Z, but there will be tons of them on the road-- just like the Mustang, Firebird, and Camaro... you'll be sick of seeing them. The S is a little more distinctive.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:09 AM

For me it would all come down to Coupe vs. Convertible. Performance is very similar. I like the style of both cars. The S2000 will have a little more high strung personality, but the 350Z will be a little more muscular around town.

So if you want a convertible go for the S, if you want a Coupe go for the Z. The S is a great car, and there is a damn high probability that the Z will be too.

The G35 Coupe model is a four seater, heavier and a little less poweful but not much more expensive for a nicer interior.

You can bang these around in your head for a long time weighing in on really small issues. What you should do for a car worth this much is drive both before you buy.

Hugh
Old 04-23-2002, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteRocket
[B]I like the Z, but there will be tons of them on the road-- just like the Mustang, Firebird, and Camaro... you'll be sick of seeing them.

Quick Reply: 350z?