S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

30,000 mile service costs what?

Old 02-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 30,000 mile service costs what?

I called the honda dealer today to find out how much it would cost to get my 30,000 mile service. Basically this includes changing the diff fluid and doing an oil change. It also includes all the inspection stuff, like brakes, suspension, underside, etc.

Now, for JUST a diff fluid change, the cost is $70. For JUST an oil change it's $25. However, to get the entire 30,000 mile service, they want $350!!!!

Is it really worth the extra $250 just to have them do all this inspection stuff and change the air filter? Isn't there anyplace else I could get this done for less?

This is what comes with the 30,000 mile service.
Replace engine oil and filter.
Inspect front and rear brakes.
Check tire inflation and condition.
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
Inspect suspension components.
Inspect driveshaft boots.
Replace air cleaner element.
Check parking brake adjustment.
Replace rear differential fluid.
Lubricate all hinges, locks, and latches with multi-purpose grease.
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS).
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks.
#Inspect exhaust system.
#Inspect fuel lines and connections.
Check all lights.
Inspect the underbody.
# = See information on maintenance and emissions warranty, last column, page 151 of your owner's manual.
Inspect drive belt.
Replace dust and pollen filter*.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do it yourself

i mean i think u can handle the inspect stuff , just pay for diff change , and oil if u must
Old 02-15-2005, 03:40 PM

Maintenance on the S is expensive, but that sounds a bit outrageous. Call around and see if someone else can do it. The air filter is, as far as I can tell, custom to Honda and costs $45 alone. I couldn't find it in Pep Boys anyway...
Old 02-15-2005, 03:40 PM

$350, what a rip off! You can easily inspect yourself. Changing the air filter is a piece of cake, the oil--either you or them do it, the rear diff fluid--either you or them. Just FYI: a South Florida S2K brethren helped/showed me how to do the rear diff fluid change, no problem at all. Hence, I now do it every 3k along with the oil. I have Honda do the oil change (I have 6 free oil changes), however, you have to watch them. During my first oil change, the kid went to get a regular Honda filter even after I told him there was a special filter for the S. Well, I used the info on S2Ki and wrote down the proper filter number and made him install the correct one after showing me the correct filter.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:46 PM

Be glad it's only $350. A buddy of mine bought a new Ferrari a couple of years ago. He used it as his daily driver for the first year. When he had his 30,000 mile checkup done, it cost him over $32,000. He's a plastic surgeon, and makes alot of money, but this amount was even too much for him. The Ferrari now sits in the garage waiting for the weekends, while his daily driver is now a Tahoe. While this is the extreme, I'd bet a Porsche would be at least 4 times more than the S2000 for the same services to be performed.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:30 PM

LOL, I just got a similar flyer in the mail. I compared the Major and Minor service packages, and I think the only substantial difference was a brake inspection and a recommended valve adjustment for extra$$$. Oh, that and about $180!

Pretty funny when you think that most places will inspect your brakes for free...

I really couldn't understand why anybody would pay a dealer so much money to do things like check tire inflation and inspect tie rods. When was the last tie rod failure anybody heard of after 30,000 miles???

On the bright side, there were a couple of coupons in my flyer for 10-15% off parts. I can use those...
Old 02-15-2005, 04:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I paid about that for my 15K. Yup, rip off. Buy all the fluids that you want, and find a competent mechanic to do the work (or, of course, do it yourself). There's also two air filter elements (pollen filter and engine air intake). It'll probably still be cheaper. That's what I'm doing for my 30K.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcarson' date='Feb 15 2005, 04:46 PM
Be glad it's only $350. A buddy of mine bought a new Ferrari a couple of years ago. He used it as his daily driver for the first year. When he had his 30,000 mile checkup done, it cost him over $32,000. He's a plastic surgeon, and makes alot of money, but this amount was even too much for him. The Ferrari now sits in the garage waiting for the weekends, while his daily driver is now a Tahoe. While this is the extreme, I'd bet a Porsche would be at least 4 times more than the S2000 for the same services to be performed.
i hear its $1,000 to change the oil and a dealer must change it for you or it voids your warranty
Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

That's not hateful....If they do everything they are charging for, but I doubt it.

Maybe they might do this stuff.

Replace engine oil and filter.
Replace rear differential fluid.
Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids, and check for leaks.
Check all lights.
Replace dust and pollen filter*.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 9g' date='Feb 15 2005, 05:52 PM
do it yourself

i mean i think u can handle the inspect stuff , just pay for diff change , and oil if u must
I can change the oil myself, however I've never done diff fluid and don't really have the area to do it as I live in an apartment complex, nor do I have an oil pan and all that stuff. Plus we are not allowed to change fluids or work on our vehicles in the parking lot per management.

Aside from that, gee I'd love to inspect things, but since I was never a mechanic nor have I ever had any training, I wouldn't even know what the hell to look for in the first place. Sorry everyone here can't be an aspiring ASE tech like you.

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile service costs what?