S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2nd gear grind revisited

Old 03-15-2004, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

< bump >

Thanks for all the input, guys. Just wanted to keep this at the top in the hopes of getting more info. Leaving work now to go grind some gears.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:40 PM

Cyber....reply sent to your PM.

For the most part, I dont really get the "grind" unless i am shifting hard from 1-2 after a long run on the highway, or just driving for extended periods of time.

I do mainly get the 2nd gear lock out! If my car is cold (as it is every morning now) i cant for the life of me get it into second at a light (ie: downshifting to slow down, or the light turns green before i have stopped) and have occasional (very occasional) trouble getting it into second on an upshift.

If I am sitting at a light, just kind of rowing through the gears, 95% of the time I will not be able to engage 2nd gear at all, but all others are fine. The local Honda Service Manager confirmed this too! I have had the clutch replaced at 25K, my differential was completely replaced at 13K, and the next step (now about 32K) is to replace clutch and diff fluid, esp. since the clutch fluid is still original....they never replaced it after having my clutch replaced....kind of odd!

I will be taking it to the dealership who did my clutch to see what exactly is going on...my guess is that I have an '01 tranny, since my car is an '02, but was manufactured 10-01....dont know yet though!

If I do figure out what the problem is, i will let you know.

Again, the 2nd gear grind is not so much a problem, but mostly the lock out....actually almost all the time, maybe I can get it into gear on a downshift after 3-4 rev-matches!

Hope I can be of more help, and PM me if you have any more questions.

John
Old 03-15-2004, 04:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johnny--2K
Cyber....reply sent to your PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have occassionaly gotten the grind and from time to time i find it hard to shift into first while stopped. This lasts for a second or 2 and then dissappears. Didn't think i would have any luck proving this to a dealer.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:59 PM

cyber_x, don't skip gears when upshifting. it has been deemed dentrimental according to the guys who worked for honda (woodwork). it will make things only worse and can be hard on the synchros.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:37 PM

diff was replaced under warranty, clutch they would not warranty because its considered a wear item.....
Old 03-16-2004, 06:21 AM

Try TSB's #'s 054 & 055.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:06 AM

Just wanted to say "thanks" one more time for all the replies and input. As of last night, I no longer have a 2nd gear grind. I now have a full blown 2nd gear lockout, or possibly no 2nd gear at all.

Now that I can't shift into 2nd at all, I have stopped driving the car for the time being, and no longer suffer the delusion that this issue could be related to tranny fluids or anything like that. It's definitely more serious.

I have a third-party extended warranty, so I'm going to see if they'll cover the needed repairs. Wish me luck. I have this sick feeling that I'm about to embark on an unenviable journey into the twilight zone of third-party warranties.

Btw, one last question for anyone still listening:

If the problem is with my 2nd gear synchros, would I get completely locked out of 2nd? I was under the impression that even with bad synchros, I should still be able to get into 2nd by double clutching (I wasn't). Just curious if it sounds like the problem is with my tranny or my clutch system.

Thanks a bunch everyone.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:29 AM

sounds like you have something wrong with the triple syncros
because usually it either goes away with a clutch change or fluid changes
Old 03-16-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by pjkwong
sounds like you have something wrong with the triple syncros
because usually it either goes away with a clutch change or fluid changes
Are you referring to the grind or the lockout?

Quick Reply: 2nd gear grind revisited