S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2nd gear grind revisited

Old 03-15-2004, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear grind revisited

I should start by saying that yes, I have used the Search function, and have read many existing threads on this issue. That having been said, I'd like to post and give this one more go before I give up...

This is a long post, but those of who have experienced the 2nd gear grind, PLEASE keep reading and let me know of any potentially help information. This is driving me nuts.

My '02 S2000 never grinded any gears when it was new, but after it hit about 50k miles, it developed the infamous 2nd gear grind. This is the grind that occurs when the tranny is cold. For a while, shifting into 2nd a little slower mitigated the problem. However, the issue now seems to have gotten worse. When my tranny is cold - say when I first start the car in the morning - I cannot get into 2nd gear at all. It completely "blocks" me out. Only after a few minutes of putting around in 1st can I successfully shift into 2nd. I am now at my wit's end.

Here is what I've tried so far to get rid of the grind:
* Changed tranny fluid with 2 quarts of fresh Honda MTF
* Bled/flushed and replaced clutch fluid
* Put in a new OEM clutch and resurfaced flywheel
* Changed differential oil with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W90 (not sure if this is relevant but listed it anyway)

All of these were done within the last 2k miles. I have had no success with the grind, and as described above, I now have to wait a few minutes before I can shift into 2nd.

I have three questions regarding this...

#1.
Has anyone else experienced the same symptoms? I know that many have experienced the occasional grind. But has anyone else had it progress to the point where you can't get into 2nd at all until the tranny warms up?

#2.
Is there anything else I can try, short of tearing down the tranny, to stop the grind? Is there any remedy that completely eliminates the grind? I have heard stories of success with GM Synchromesh and Redline tranny fluid - has anyone used these and completely gotten rid of the grind?

#3.
Have any of you resleeved/replaced your 2nd gear synchros in order to fix the grind? Did it work? Did the grind come back? This is something that I'd rather not do due to cost, especially since I don't know if it'll fix the problem. However, if I were reasonably certain that it would fix the problem, then I'd have no problem doing it.

Thanks A LOT for bearing with me and for any suggestions. I'm sorry for beating the proverbial dead horse, but this is my last ditch effort before either tearing down the tranny or getting rid of the car. I love the S2000 and pretty much everything about it, but I can't stand the 2nd gear grind, and would rather drive a beater than live with it. Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:14 PM

A transmission rebuild is your only cure. Sorry.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by andrewewing
A transmission rebuild is your only cure. Sorry.
I was kind of expecting it to come down to that. Have you experienced the same issue?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:57 PM

I have a MY00 which had 5800 miles when I bought it used. About a month after owning it, I got the occasional 2nd gear grind. At first I thought it was because I was letting the clutch out too early or misshifting, because it didn't happen very often. However, a few weeks later it happened more often and during a variety of conditions- hot, cold, low rpm shifting, high rpm shifting, etc. It would happen unexpectedly and I couldn't find anything that could cause it to happen.

Wanting to believe it was my driving and not the car, I adjusted my shifting technique. Instead of shifting straight from 1st to 2nd, I started to shift from 1st to neutral to 2nd. It sounds awkward and slow, and it was at first, but now it's quite smooth and natural. I haven't had a 2nd gear grind in over 6 months.

You might want to give that a try. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by allkingz
I have a MY00 which had 5800 miles when I bought it used. About a month after owning it, I got the occasional 2nd gear grind. At first I thought it was because I was letting the clutch out too early or misshifting, because it didn't happen very often. However, a few weeks later it happened more often and during a variety of conditions- hot, cold, low rpm shifting, high rpm shifting, etc. It would happen unexpectedly and I couldn't find anything that could cause it to happen.

Wanting to believe it was my driving and not the car, I adjusted my shifting technique. Instead of shifting straight from 1st to 2nd, I started to shift from 1st to neutral to 2nd. It sounds awkward and slow, and it was at first, but now it's quite smooth and natural. I haven't had a 2nd gear grind in over 6 months.

You might want to give that a try.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand how it might work mechanically, but you might want to try holding the gearshift hard to the left during 1-2 shifts. Just keep constant left pressure on the shifter so that it follows the edge of the "gate". I read about this solution somewhere on this site, and it worked pretty well for me.

But then again, I only had the grind for higher-RPM shifts (4.5K+ RPM). Also, after I changed my tranny fluid the problem pretty much went away.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by basscase
I don't understand how it might work mechanically, but you might want to try holding the gearshift hard to the left during 1-2 shifts. Just keep constant left pressure on the shifter so that it follows the edge of the "gate". I read about this solution somewhere on this site, and it worked pretty well for me.

But then again, I only had the grind for higher-RPM shifts (4.5K+ RPM). Also, after I changed my tranny fluid the problem pretty much went away.
Thanks...Did you change your tranny fluid with Honda MTF or something else? I've tried changing it with Honda MTF, but that didn't help. I'm thinking about trying GM Synchromesh instead.

For me, pushing the stick to the left and following the left side of the gearbox into 2nd does make for a better shift. However, this is only true once I'm able to get into 2nd. When the tranny is really cold, like when I first start it in the morning, I can't get into 2nd at all.

Thanks for the input basscase! Anyone else, please keep 'em coming!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a car with 5,000 miles on it, to eliminate the "grind" i too make the 1-2 shift in two motions, although it now seems like one. when shifting fast i rev the engine while shifting so that the rpm does not fall much...but everyday driving i pay attention to the shifter feedback and sometimes, well most of the time, when not cold it is a two motion process with no grind....sometimes when coming to a stop sign and shifting into 1st on a roll it will grind also, again a mild sensation and never been locked out.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cyber_x
Old 03-15-2004, 01:50 PM

if you want to shift slow, try blipping the throttle between the gear shift(rev matching) to reduce the jerkiness that you might occur(the rpm would drop too low).

Quick Reply: 2nd gear grind revisited