S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2nd Gear Grind Fixed

Old 11-17-2000, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line ==>

Quick chronology:

1. Went to dealer (Coral Springs Honda) to schedule gear grind fix, they said I'd have to prove it first.

2. Objected in writing to zone office in Atlanta about having to prove an intermittent problem

3. Zone office said I'd have to go see the service manager any way.

4. Took service manager (Sean McCarthy) on a drive, however in 10 minutes or so could not reproduce the grind. However, I described it in detail and he agreed to go ahead and fix it.

5. Also described my slipping clutch problem, and I told him that while I would understand if they didn't replace it right now with the new revised one, I at least wanted it noted on my history record that it was a problem already, and I wanted them to carefully check it when the had it apart. He agreed to go ahead and replace it when they had it apart.

6. They ordered the parts (took about 1 week), and I took it in to have it fixed. It took 1 for the repair, but they also did the seat belt recall fix at the same time.

7. Got the car back yesterday. They did an EXCELLENT job. Shifting is just a little stiffer and notchier now, but I'm sure this will smooth out with time.

I also made a special point to tell them NOT to detail the car after they were finished, and I was very pleased to get it back dirty, hand prints and all. I would much rather clean it myself than have them run it through the car wash, or even wash it themselves by hand. I also asked them to use the car cover if they had to leave it outside which they did (I know because it wasn't folded the same way that I fold it when I picked the car up).

The assistant service manager (Jim Cocchiola) called me TWICE during the week and let me know the progress of the repairs.

Overall I was VERY pleased with the customer service and the repairs. I still don't think you should have to prove an intermittent problem when it's well documented and a service bulletin has been issued, however if the dealer's reasonable, it's no big deal.

Also, I sent another letter this morning to the zone office commending the service reps and mechanics. I figure if I am going to b*tch in writing, I should also put my praise in writing when appropriate.
Old 11-17-2000, 06:44 AM

Good for ya on the experience!
Old 11-17-2000, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll have to call the zone office and do a little griping too, as my dealership has told me that they will do nothing about my transmission(in spite of documented complaints of grinding as far back as Nov 99).

I can't express how angry it makes me to have to fight for what should be taken care of without a hassle!!
Old 11-17-2000, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve - Thanks for "breaking the ice" at CSAM for me . I've been in a couple of times to inform them of my desire for the transmission fix. So far, they've said that they'd "take care of me". It's good to know that they did for you. Now, if I can only figure out when I can give up the car for a few days.

BTW, how long did they keep the car, and who did the transmission work. I'd like to be able to request that mechanic.
Old 11-17-2000, 03:06 PM

I'm with you, Sondra! I got told the same crap by my dealer ("Proove it before we fix it"), I *****ed to zone. My contact there was very receptive, but I haven't had a call returned from him for 3 days!
Old 11-17-2000, 03:18 PM

Well, I just got mine back from Wade Raulerson Honda in Gainesville. I had it in for both the grind and the seat-belt recall. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at how well I was treated there. I described the grind to a service representative (Brad Craig, an admitted auto enthusiast ) and the parts were ordered and I had an appointment to have it fixed in 5 minutes. The repair took a total of 2 & 1/2 days (for both issues) and the work seems to have been done well. I also requested that the car not be detailed, and it wasn't. My only gripe, is that there are now a fair number of light scratches and scuffs on the paint. They are all (with 1 exception) very light, and I believe I can get them all out. Overall, I'd say that I would recommend them to anyone needing the work done.

I watched the mechanic (Larry) disassemble my car, and it's definitely not for the faint of heart. Considering how much work is actually done on the car, I believe it's unrealistic to expect there to be NO minor damage to the finish. It also doesn't help to have a black car which show EVERY scratch.

[This message has been edited by RxS2K (edited November 17, 2000).]
Old 11-17-2000, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by CoralDoc:
BTW, how long did they keep the car, and who did the transmission work. I'd like to be able to request that mechanic.
They took a week, but I had the seat belt fix done at the same time. I don't know which mechanic actually did the work, but Sean (the service manager) said they have a couple (only) that are trained to work on the S2k's. I drove it for a while today and it's PERFECT. No new noises, transmission seems perfect... I couldn't be happier. I'd suggest you call Sean and explain that you have the grind and a slipping clutch, and if he wants you to come in and prove it go in and take him for a ride and explain the problem in detail and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

You may want to wait a few days for my letter of "praise" to hit there and Atlanta. A little positive motivation never hurt. Tell him you were talking to me and I was VERY pleased with the service and recommended that you talk directly to him.

Old 11-17-2000, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RxS2K:
[B]