S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2006 softer than expected....

Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Originally Posted by s2000Junky

If you have no self control, maybe you shouldn't be driving a sports car at all?
Can we leave comments like this out of the discussion? Its just inflammatory.

Lets stick to the pros and cons of Extreme vs Max Performance tires for street use, and avoid bashing each others POV. I think it would also be a good idea to just try and give the OP facts, and let him decide, and not try and tell him what to do.

If I have been guilty of any of these offenses in this thread, I apologize.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Oh sorry, but I wasn't the guy that divulged into the aspect of extreme summer tires promoting Hooning on the street. If you now feel that was a silly argument and want to stick to the performance nuances of this topic, I'm all for it.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1463502739' post='23969097
[quote name='B serious' timestamp='1463496888' post='23969000']
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1463424916' post='23968222']
The PSS is a single ply sidewall tire, so chances are its not going to feel any more crisp/firm in the handling department over the S04 or even what you just took off. It will grip better in the dry however. Really its trading one apple for another in my book until your willing to step up to a proper Extreme summer tire on this car. Its not just about the better traction, its the construction of the tire and what it offers handling wise that make the equal difference. Most extreme summers will last 15-20k road miles given a good alignment, and usually more up front, which is long enough for you to want to try out the next gen offering in the mileage you place on them in a season. Extreme summers work fine in the wet if you drive like a normal person, but offer the best performance in the dry when you want it.

Idk if any extreme summers will last 15-20K miles.

And the car came with max performance tires from the factory. They're not a downgrade...and MPSS's are better than S02's or RE050's.

EP tires aren't a necessity...and they won't "transform" a street car. They're dis-advantageous if you're not planning on tracking the car.
Sure they CAN, given a proper street alignment as mentioned. Problem is most people don't know what that is, or choose to camber the shit out of there car along with too much rear toe.

That's right, but unlike the PSS the S02 and Re050 are dual ply sidewall construction, more akin to an Extreme summer tire construction, which greatly enhances the control and turn in sharpness of the car. In that respect the PSS are a downgrade. Grip levels are comparable. So with that, I don't agree with your personal assessment at all. Sorry. If you want the best handling out of the car, the safest bet is to run an extreme summer. The side benefit is the added dry grip. I've never heard someone try and argue for a lessor performing tire before as the safe choice, its pretty funny actually. You will actually be safer on a tire that grips better. Your braking distances will be shortened and the overall cars behavior will inspire confidence and safe maneuverability to a higher window before traction is diminished. That's good no matter how you choose to drive the car. Get your monies worth.

If you have no self control, maybe you shouldn't be driving a sports car at all?
[/quote]

With a stock alignment and stock suspension, I doubt you'll get 15-20k out of an EP tire. S02's and 50A's *typically* lasted less than that (unless you were willing to go to 2/32" or less).

With your argument for safety, every single car on the road should come with EP tires? Because they shorten braking and increase dry grip?

Why stop there? R compounds magnify that.

Why stop there? Slicks magnify that even further.

Just align the car so that your slicks wear slower.

Picking the right tires for a vehicle is a balancing act. OP says he's street driving his S2000...and it seems as if he wants the car to be more crisp without going overboard.

Sure, 71R's bite harder than MPSS. But that doesn't necessarily make them the right tire for his situation.

The MPSS still makes the car "safer" than the stock tires. While being a well rounded, liveable tire.
[/quote]

The car came with a stiff sidewall multiple ply sidewall constructed tire that was really tuned to this car, the tires that most closely stay integral to this are extreme summer category tires. If you want to at least maintain and or build on the handling character of this car, then this is a crucial baseline aspect when choosing a tire. If you don't care about maintaining the handling performance of the car over some other aspect of a lessor performance category tire offers, that's ok. Just be educated/aware of what's being given up.

The compound of all the tires you have listed have an effective temperature range they work in. Extreme Summers are an effective rubber compound for the majority of what is seen on the street. Its really an 70/30 Street/track compound tire. R compounds can work on the street in an even more limited and specific way. I'm not going to bother responding to your comments on racing slicks.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Lol. Well I guess since we're not bothering with outlandish things, you're also not going to comment on which EP tires you've used that lasted 20K miles...and certainly no commenting on what conditions they operated in, etc.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Some people seem to think any opinion which differs from their own is an insult and something not to be tolerated.

It is fine to have your own opinion. Its fine to make your own choice. Its fine to express why you have that opinion, so that others can make an informed choice.

Its not ok to assert that anyone whose opinion differs from yours is wrong.

Its awesome to learn things like the original max perf tires on our cars had double ply sidewalls, and that this contributed to the responsive feel of the car. And its great to learn that some popular current max perf tires dont have such, and that some owners feel this makes a discernable difference. That is useful, helpful info. For the OP, and others that stumble into this thread later with similar questions.

But please recognize that what is best for you is not automatically best for everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 05-17-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

OP---you'll love the MPSS on your S2000. I grew up in WV and it's the perfect tire for the roads and the weather you encounter.

I've had them on my 07 for about 3 years now and they are a great tire. I think they are much better than the OEM RE-050s were. The sidewalls do flex more but to me, that enhances the "feeling" of what the tires are doing vs a stiff sidewall.

The grip level is much much more than I'll ever need on the street and they ride very smoothly for a performance tire. They've won multiple tire comparisions on multiple venues.

I'm sure there are more performance oriented tires out there but the MPSS is the best overall summer street tire for our cars as a DD in my opinion.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Its awesome to learn things like the original max perf tires on our cars had double ply sidewalls, and that this contributed to the responsive feel of the car. And its great to learn that some popular current max perf tires dont have such, and that some owners feel this makes a discernable difference. That is useful, helpful info. For the OP, and others that stumble into this thread later with similar questions.

But please recognize that what is best for you is not automatically best for everyone else.
^What he said. It's also worth noting that sidewall stiffness doesn't make or break a tire. There are MANY aspects to it besides responsiveness that should be considered. The tire responding a split second later on the street may be a moot point and even an unnoticeable difference to many people.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

2 ply sidewalls help with lateral and radial stiffness. That translates into more response, but usually more harshness as well.

The MPSS is a 1 ply tire, sure. But the overall construction of the MPSS addresses the need for more lateral stiffness. The lack of radial stiffness results in better ride quality. The tread blocks are also pretty clearly set up to reduce squirm and increase response.

I daily drive a car (not a S2000) on MPSS, and I would not say they feel dull. The "steering wheel centering" effect of the tire is also strong. The grip is relentless...and as I've said before, is approaching the level of dry grip that Direzza Z2's had.

MPSS's come as original equipment on M3's, Porsches, Corvettes, performance oriented Benzes, and maybe Audis as well. I'm sure there are other performance oriented cars that use them as well. Anyone who has the wrong impression about these tires should really look into them before passing on them.