S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2006 softer than expected....

Old 05-16-2016, 06:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Originally Posted by WVCR-V
Just got back from another drive. It definatly feels like the tires are the weak link. The car really does handle great. I bet with the new tires and an alignment it will really perform.
I'm really tempted to just send the Bridgestones back and get the Pilots. If I don't I'll probably wonder what I'm missing.
I wouldnt worry. They will perform great.

Frankly, I cant believe all this talk of extreme performance tires. Yes, if its a track car, that you sometimes drive on the street, or course go with track tires. If its a fun car you drive on the street, then max performance will do just fine.

I am not disparaging anyone else choice. If you feel you need extreme performance tires to drive your car on a curvy road, by all means. Go for it. But to tell someone else that the car wont handle well on the street without literally going to extremes, that is just...wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Yes, I definitely agree, and I have been saying this. S2000 base models all came with Max Performance category tires from the factory. You can improve upon that by getting BETTER max performance tires.

Seems to be a rash of "if you don't use 71R's, you are either foolish or poor". I don't get it....and I still wonrer if most of the people suggesting the most extreme of the extreme tires even own 71R's themselves.

As far as the S04 vs MPSS comparison goes, I think that anyone who has driven both tires would agree that the MPSS is the better tire. Depending on how much hassle it was to send the S04 back, the MPSS is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. They last at least 2X as long and the dry grip is better. I've only compared NEW S04's to NEW MPSS's. So...I thought rain grip was on par. But my 20k mile, 2 year old MPSS barely show signs of wear, and they disperse water just like when they were new. **My MPSS's are on my DD...not my S2000.

A good friend of mine has MPSS on his AP2 in stock sizing on PSS9's. His car is what sold me so hard on the MPSS. I couldn't believe the car was on max performance tires (Gingerman Raceway...80 degree summer track day). The grip and response was approaching EP tire territory. But on the road, they were quiet and they rode very well.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

The main question I still have is, would I notice the weight? The Pilots are 3lbs lighter on the rear.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 AM
Member (Premium)

You'd definitely notice a 3LB difference in unsprung weight per corner. Especially at the outermost portion of the wheel.

I did not know they were 3LB lighter. That sounds like a lot.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Tire manufacturers of "performance" tires often seem to use lower tire wear numbers (hard to call them ratings) to make us believe they have more traction and better cornering. Which they may, of course. The manufacturer assigns the number, not some bureaucratic test agency.

My only experience in S2000 tires is the wonderful set of Bridgetsone RE-11A tires I put on 22 months and 12,000 miles ago. Tread is still acceptable but getting close to replacement time. Wear number of the RE-71R is the same.

-- Chuck
Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Seems to be a rash of "if you don't use 71R's, you are either foolish or poor". I don't get it....and I still wonrer if most of the people suggesting the most extreme of the extreme tires even own 71R's themselves.
I'm not sure why you keep repeating this. Do those of us in this thread that have suggested and agreed on the RE71R need to provide you ebay style proof with a screenshot and our username? SMH.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:06 AM

Ok, to put this to bed. I just arranged to return the Potenzas and ordered the Pilots. I should have done more research and not been in a hurry. I'll eat the shipping. Lesson learned. Definatly not interested in more extreme than those. If I don't get the Pilots I will always wonder......

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you know how they compare to the 7 year old all seasons....lol.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Tire manufacturers of "performance" tires often seem to use lower tire wear numbers (hard to call them ratings) to make us believe they have more traction and better cornering. Which they may, of course. The manufacturer assigns the number, not some bureaucratic test agency.

My only experience in S2000 tires is the wonderful set of Bridgetsone RE-11A tires I put on 22 months and 12,000 miles ago. Tread is still acceptable but getting close to replacement time. Wear number of the RE-71R is the same.

-- Chuck
71R's wear noteably faster than RE11's. Direzza Z2's, however, last forever. And so did my Yoko AD08's.

They're all listed as "200" treadwear.

Again...treadwear is not standardized. Its a reference number that each manufacturer regulates for themselves. A Dunlop 300 and a Bridgestone 300 do NOT necessarily mean the same thing. There is no standardized testing for those numbers. A manufacturer could put out a 90K mile tire that showed a "50" TW rating if they wanted to.

I don't know if all these companies agreed to list their EP tires as "200" as some sort of gentleman's agreement...or if they wanted to illustrate the tire's purpose and list its competitors. Its become that sanctioning bodies have limits at "200TW" set for street class time trial competition. Each of the EP "200" TW tires has its strengths and weaknesses...and smart competitors would just pick the one that's most advantageous to their situation (not counting tires that appear on contingencies).

If you do use EP tires on your daily driver, 71R's would be one of the last ones I'd recommend out of the bunch. If you feel you NEED that level of grip on the street, you're dreaming. But each person has a preference.

I believe that listing REASONS for a choice are important when making a recommendation.

My reasons are based on my honest experiences with said tires.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
Ok, to put this to bed. I just arranged to return the Potenzas and ordered the Pilots. I should have done more research and not been in a hurry. I'll eat the shipping. Lesson learned. Definatly not interested in more extreme than those. If I don't get the Pilots I will always wonder......

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you know how they compare to the 7 year old all seasons....lol.

. Definitely interested to hear what you think. IMO, you made an excellent choice.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be happy with the mpss. It's my fav tire in that category.
Only thing I don't like is the price but it is definitely worth it
Old 05-16-2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks nos, I look forward to trying them.

Quick Reply: 2006 softer than expected....