S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2006 S2000 Brochure

Old 08-29-2005, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exceltoexcel,Aug 29 2005, 07:26 AM
Like it but what's up with 237? I can't own one with 237, i need 240 that is a 1% loss.
Thanks for the math lesson, genius.

I think it's maybe more interesting news to those of us who:

A) remember the big F20C vs. F22C peak output debates, and/or

B) have been following the news regarding power ratings, esp. as they effect Hondas and Toyotas.

Again, thanks for the brilliant reply.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Boys, boys...

SAE has changed the rating system for horsepower a little, and the Japanese manufacturers have re-rated many of their cars.

Don't have a hissy; the car is the same.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 27 2005, 06:19 PM
I think some people just want to hate the car because they don't want to feel like a chump for buying a previous model. I personally wish I would have waited for the 06, but I'm not going to bash now to justify.

I got a smoking hot deal on my new 05 and top dollar on my 01 S2k trade in, so I am not complaining.

Now I DO wish I had VSA and the extended power train warranty would be nice, but other than that I am happy with what I have. The 06 looks OK to me, if I were in the market and could get one for $30k then I would prefer it to the 05 (just for the VSA and warranty).

Dennis
Old 08-29-2005, 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=dennes,Aug 27 2005, 02:31 PM] They killed the car
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 AM

Inital thoughts:
No opinion on DBW - I liked it when I drove the TL, but it's a totally different car, and it's pretty clear that it's all in the tuning.

VSA - good addition, and smart to have a simple on/off switch.

I think the new steering wheel and rims look fine - different, but fine. I wish they'd put the radio controls on the wheel across from the cruise. This will annoy the purists, but to them, the wheel is already ruined by the cruise, so why not put the radio controls on the other side? The buttons are easy to reach, and never in the way.

I prefer the exotic look of the old headrests, but the integration of the headrest speakers in the new seats is pretty slick, especially if they're easily upgradable. EDIT: I didnt' look close enough - I thought the speakers were in the headrest, a la a more integrated version of the '05 headrest speakers. I do like the speakers in the rollbars, but I'm now with the anti-solid-headrest crowd. I like the old style. /EDIT

Hard to tell from the photos, but it appears there is an actual glovebox in the passenger dash. Hooray for this.

That said, I would have seriously considered Laguna Blue, but I certainly don't have any regrets about getting the '05. And for the purists, most of the AP1's are still running strong.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Destro,Aug 29 2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the math lesson, genius.

I think it's maybe more interesting news to those of us who:

A) remember the big F20C vs. F22C peak output debates, and/or

B) have been following the news regarding power ratings, esp. as they effect Hondas and Toyotas.

Again, thanks for the brilliant reply.
SAE has revised the way auto makers should calculate hp. You will notice hp discrepancies in many quoted 2006 figures (from 2005).
Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by BlueDevil34,Aug 29 2005, 08:41 AM
And for the purists, most of the AP1's are still running strong.
Reminds me of the Miata. Lots of "M1" (1.6l) Miata owners swear the newer cars are not as nice (even with a 1.8l motor) because of the added weight of side impact beams, etc. Then some of the 'dis the later '99 and up cars with the fixed headlights. I am sure there will be haters of the new and even more powerful 06 Miata as well.

If they leave it the same, some folks get mad. If they change anything, other folks get mad.

Dennis
Old 08-29-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Aug 29 2005, 06:59 AM
Boys, boys...

SAE has changed the rating system for horsepower a little, and the Japanese manufacturers have re-rated many of their cars.

Don't have a hissy; the car is the same.
No, you just don't understand how things are here. It's not unlike the change to the Gregorian calendar from the Julian calendar in the 1750's and the people rioted because they "lost" eleven days of their lives.

I wonder if that will also sail over the heads of most people here...
Old 08-29-2005, 08:14 AM

Thought I would throw MY comments into the pile!

Daytime running lamps: Lame. If I want this, I will run with my lights on myself. So, I'll just watch for the bypass which someone will post within a few months to get rid of this.

Seats: I don't get this change. The older seats looked so much better with the cool hole and mesh that matched the roll hoops.

VSA: Excellent. If you are hell bent you think this is a device of satan, just turn the thing off. I can't get over how so many of you guys just freak out over this. Just turn it off. For the rest of us, I want something that will be there to help when I want it, and off when I don't. There are not flag/corner workers out on the highways, so surprises can come up over blind hills, blind corners. ***Someone mentioned earlier that BMW says to turn theirs off in icy conditions. That was for the traction control part of it. They learned in testing that in pure ice, it would not allow ANY slippage, so the car was made immobile because you could not spin the tires on snow/ice to get the car moving forward.***

Drive by Wire: Unknown. It all depends on how well Honda programmed their system. The Corvette's DBW system is excellent. Other systems bother people, so who knows....

Wheels: To each his own, but I love the new wheels. They machined the face of each spoke flat so it should have a shiny surface there.

Steering wheel: Has anyone noticed the "H" logo on the steering wheel is like the center console metal pieces? They look like they are both a "black chrome" look?

Roll Hoop Speakers: Very nice solution. I do hope the *CRAPPY* head unit was upgraded.

Outside Temp reading: No, this does not signal the end of civilization. When temperatures hover around freezing, it is nice to know so you know when to be concerned about ice on the road.

So honestly, I am very happy with the changes. To those screaming that it is no longer a real sports car, etc. I would expect them to remove their power convertible top. Remove their cruise control. Yank out that power window system. Lose the power door locks and remote entry. ABS? How can you feel ABS is ok? How about that *crazy* VTEC thing?! Dang, my Viper does not even have a remote hatch release! I will agree that Honda should probably have made VSA an option so those who do not want it don't have to pay for it. To be honest, since Honda is known for being a high tech car company, and the S2000 is their tech showpiece, I was amazed Honda waited this long to add these features. They have only caught the S2000 up with it's competitors.

Finally, THANK YOU VERY MUCH to the member who took the time to scan and post these images. I have been working myself to death trying to find a pic of the changes. Again, Thanks!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 AM

DBW doesn't bother me a bit. It's not a Bosch implementation, and the DBW on my NSX was great. Just as responsive as the cable, no adjustment and much better TCS (although I didn't use TCS very often). Some testers actually attributed some of the 0-60 time improvements to the DBW throttle. No problems with feedback, and I tracked it a lot.

Like the NSX, a performance oriented DBW/VSA-TCS system in the S2k will be appropriately tuned. The C32 NSXs with DBW/TCS will actually hold the gas down turning a turn (yaw sensor, steering angle sensor inputs) if you puss out and lift mid-turn. This is brilliant, and balsy on Honda's part.

Again, it's not a sh-tty Bosch system, Honda will do it right. And you can turn it off- so WTF?

Now, if you're a forced induction person, I can understand you being pissed- just wait, the AEMs of the world will figure it out- it's not really difficult to control a stepper motor for chrissakes!

-R

(just don't get me started on EPS - it's a great technology for 99% of cars- but feels like shit. I wish the s2k had real manual steering like the 1st gen NSX. Of course, even less people would buy it then)

Quick Reply: 2006 S2000 Brochure