S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2006 MX-5 Miata or 2006 S2K?

Old 10-12-2005, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

have you asked this question at the Miata board? if so, give us a link
Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mazda = no.

i think you should compare s2000 to 350z or boxter. and i heard 06 boxster is getting major power upgrade. also probably major upgrade on price tag also.

i never really liked any mazdas except those rx7s. my gf has mazda and it's not so good compare to hondas.

if u have kids and wants a family car go with g35 dude. if u can afford it wait n get m3. current m3s are sick already and they are making it even better. can't go wrong. i am also diggin the new 3 series design and can't wait til coupe comes out.

my choice between miata and s2000? i say s2000. i wouldn't mind having 350z also since i have s2000 now i wanna experience different cars.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:02 PM

I've had two mazda's and the reliability has been horrible to me on both of these cars. I'm not saying this is the case precisely for the Miata, but it's something to keep in mind, that Mazda's are not as durable most other cars, including Honda's.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:04 PM

It really depends on how much the money is a factor for you.

I don't think anybody here is going to argue that M3 convertible and Boxster S are better cars overall than S2K, as long as money is not an issue. They have all the same features, a LOT more storage ( 9 cu ft trunks vs. 5 cu ft on S2K ), second row of seats (M3), more low-end torque, etc. If I were a millionaire and I had to choose between M3 and S2K, I'd go with M3. Of course, the downside is that either car costs 20-25k more than S2K, and insurance on those a lot more expensive. Bottom line is, we can't tell you if the differences between S2K and Boxster/M3 are worth 25 grand _for you_.

As for MX-5 vs. S2K, it is the same thing. S2K is a little bit more expensive than MX-5, but it's a better car. MX-5 really has only a few advantages:
- $5k cheaper similarly equipped
- 5 more mpg hwy
- Passenger airbag deactivation switch
- 4 cupholders
- Lots of room for tuning

Seeing that you are actually considering to pay $60k for M3, #1 and #2 don't matter for you. Power roof easily trumps cupholders, airbag switch is only important when you have children, whom you really shouldn't drive in the roadster anyway. As for tuning, it's up to you.

Finally, I don't think that new MX-5 a better daily driver ( or, in fact, radically different as a daily driver ) than S2K. Experience is similar. The only difference is that in S2K you get ~20% more hp per pound than in new MX-5 below 5000 RPM.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please note also that the 2006 S2000 is more "user friendly" for daily driving than the previous model years.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 PM

ok.this thread is pure waste for us right about now...dude is just tossing cars from the low 20k range up to 50k+,not to mention including a mx5 into the list with a S2000,and few other soon to be 'classic' status cars..its a joke to even talk about..but then hes talking about being thrifty(which is fine) and mentioning things like:
Feature
"Honda Advantage
Destination Charge
The destination charge on the S2000 6-Spd MT is $10 less than on MX-5 Sport.
ALG Residual Value % After 60 Months
ALG Residual Value after 60 months is 38% on S2000 6-Spd MT while 35% on MX-5 Sport"
lol..u cant be confusing people throwing choices like M3,,S2000,G35......mx5...then talking about saving money..its a big confusing mess...after u narrow down within 2-5k of Exactly how much to spend,THEN go look for brief reviews on both choices.(personally,theres no way the S is the ride for u,,nothing personal at all..just my gut feeling).gd luck..peace
Old 10-13-2005, 01:06 AM

Ummmmm, nice-face, those comparisons he posted up weren't what he considered the most important factors. He just seemed to copy and paste the comparisons that mazdausa and honda had done on eachothers cars. Like someone mentioned earlier, the 2006 will definitely be more daily driver friendly. I think you should test drive both cars and hopefully the answer will be clear and you'll be posting pics of your new s2000 next year I think you'll also be able to see why there is a price difference in the cars, things like leather, hids, vsc, power top, 17" wheels, etc.. being all standard. Just go test drive them!

p.s. - My 02 is my daily driver and I it
Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 AM

Kalyan: looks like you've done a bunch of research - good stuff - most new cars aren't chump change. I think we've all been there... preparing to buy a new car, poring over stats & reviews & forum posts.

The decision to buy a sports car isn't what most people would call logical. So no amount of research can tell you the whole story. Complete the rest of your research by going for some test drives!

I could sit here & tell you the ever-present feeling of quality I sense while driving the S2000 compared to the new MX-5, or how the s2k's trunk space is surprisingly awesome. But those are personal observations that hold true for me (and maybe not you). And, importantly, they're not the main reason I bought the car.

Seems like you know all the facts you'll need to know. I can't tell if your goal with this post is to get a bunch of different perspectives from people or whether you're trying to rationalize this purchase. If it's the former then that's cool - we're here to help! If it's the latter (and no offense intended at all - I'm just being candid) then perhaps neither the s2k nor the Miata will be a good fit in your life.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Christople,Oct 12 2005, 08:50 PM
if it wasn't for the miata there would be no S2000, Z3/4, Boxster, Solstice.

They each have great aspects, the more you pay the more you get in the roadster world.
ok ........ hold on that is def not true there has been roadsters for YEARS before even the miata came out.

I also am not a miata hater i think he should jsut go test drive them a couple times and make up his mind. I am nto trying to be a dick but come on..... your on a s2k board asking what is better haha.

Quick Reply: 2006 MX-5 Miata or 2006 S2K?