S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2004 Reliability

Old 12-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Reliability

I just purchased a stock 2004 with 19,000 miles on it. I'm wondering how the reliability on this car is - since the dealer wants to know if I'm interested in the extended warrenty. I do plan on modding it eventually, which apparantly does not void the warrenty at all.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm not too familiar with these cars (but picked one up since it was such a good deal).

Thanks,
scott
Old 12-02-2007, 10:52 AM

The extended hondacare warranty is complete total BS. I have it and regret it. Also youre wrong about modding. Any engine mod will void the warranty whether your dealer says it or not. If it comes down to it and you blow a motor theyre going to say it was misuse, due to you having aftermarket parts in the engine (this includes an intake and exhaust). Suspension/brakes are moddable though.

I would say DONT get it. I havent heard of too many problems with reliability with 04s. I have an 01 and its been great aside from the emissions problem honda has yet to figure out how to fix.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:56 AM

IMO MY04 is very reliable, no need to get the extended warranty, especially hondacare.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by CFactor,Dec 2 2007, 11:52 AM
The extended hondacare warranty is complete total BS. I have it and regret it. Also youre wrong about modding. Any engine mod will void the warranty whether your dealer says it or not. If it comes down to it and you blow a motor theyre going to say it was misuse, due to you having aftermarket parts in the engine (this includes an intake and exhaust). Suspension/brakes are moddable though.

I would say DONT get it. I havent heard of too many problems with reliability with 04s. I have an 01 and its been great aside from the emissions problem honda has yet to figure out how to fix.
is this the 7yr/100k warranty, honda certified warranty? just wondering why u think its bs. cosin plans to get used 2005 S with honda cerified warranty.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:13 AM

I have the 7yr/100k. It covers powertrain only, NOT emissions which seems to have been my biggest issue. All hondas have an 80k/8year (i believe its 8 year) warranty for emissions regardless of if you purchase the extended warranty or not.

I took the car in for excessive motor vibration at 55k, not covered. I took the car in for a few others things and NOTHING was covered. So therefore I say dont go with it, risk your luck, and find that the car is definitely solid up to 100k miles.

I personally will never go with a hondacare warranty again, its a complete joke to me. Also search the forums for reviews of the hondacare warranty. You will find that people have horrible reviews for it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by CFactor,Dec 2 2007, 12:13 PM
I have the 7yr/100k. It covers powertrain only, NOT emissions which seems to have been my biggest issue. All hondas have an 80k/8year (i believe its 8 year) warranty for emissions regardless of if you purchase the extended warranty or not.

I took the car in for excessive motor vibration at 55k, not covered. I took the car in for a few others things and NOTHING was covered. So therefore I say dont go with it, risk your luck, and find that the car is definitely solid up to 100k miles.

I personally will never go with a hondacare warranty again, its a complete joke to me. Also search the forums for reviews of the hondacare warranty. You will find that people have horrible reviews for it.
So the 7yr/100k CPO is only powertrain and not the same as a full bumper to bumper warranty. I was doing a search hondacare warranty is different from CPO warranty right?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:13 PM

yup, hondacare is a different warranty. imo, if you're going to mod the car then its pointless to spend the money on an extended warranty. no matter what they say, a majority of mods will void your warranty. as long as you take care of your car, stay on track with all your maintenance, etc. you should be fine. its a honda for god sakes, lol.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:58 PM

I think it's very reliable. It's a 2.2 and outputs 240hp, so the engine isn't stressed that much, maybe that's why Honda refused to increase the horsepower on the CR Furthermore, Honda is known for durability.

Jason
Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a 2004 with 32k on it and have had it over 48 months since new in 11/2003. i have had no issues of any kind, period, tires.....filters....fluids, that's it, not even brakes yet, perhaps soon, butnot yet, argueably the most reliable car i have ever owned so far.

if i bought one i would not pay for an extended warranty, that's just me and my experience, your mileage may vary. i am also not aware of anything that goes wrong with these cars except the top issues some have regardless of year.

i had the smog pump replaced due to warranty on the smog system, i had to pay for diagnosis and the relay, but not the pump, i suspect the pump went due to the accident i had on that side of the car...that's right, i had an accident, my fault, went under a SUV...smashed the fender and hood, i kept the car after and have driven it a year with no issues, it was repaired right and i have never had the front end alligned either, had it checked and it was spot on, no frame damage. the car is that good, meaning after an accident i kept it, usually a good excuse to get rid of it.

i love this car and this one is an excellent example of the breed, you should have no worries unless the former owner abused the car or did not maintain it.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sentravq,Dec 2 2007, 12:53 PM
So the 7yr/100k CPO is only powertrain and not the same as a full bumper to bumper warranty. I was doing a search hondacare warranty is different from CPO warranty right?
When you go with the extended warranty through hondacare the bumper to bumper expires at 60,000 miles I believe.

But I bought my car with 52k miles and can honestly say I drive the car hard 85% of the time. The other 15% is when I am trying to save gas or cruising on the highway to school. I never drop the clutch but I do rev to 9k at least a couple times a day. The only problem I have had is the secondary air injection air pump went out, but it was covered by the 80k emissions warranty.

I say dont do it.

Quick Reply: 2004 Reliability