S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2003 - Price

Old 07-05-2002, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 2003 may be the worst year to buy as people have speculated significant model updates in 2004 (including performance updates). If you are someone who values your tradein and consider it every 2-3 years then the 2003 model may be one you want to skip.

But if you've made your decision, 300 under MSRP isn't bad for the new model year, but considering there is virtually no difference from a 2002 model, why pay the premium? Do you want one of the new colors? Besides color availability (interior/exterior too), I've not heard of any other differences.

2002's aren't almost a year old- if you order a 2002 today, you could get one that just came off the factory floor a month ago...brand new.

Also, I think your going to take it in the A$% on price if you preorder a 2003. Why? Dealer prices should drop with the release of the 350Z and RX-8 (not sure when on this one), especially considering the 350Z can be had for around 27K. The greater the competition, the less they can stick it to you- knowing you can go pick up a 350Z at 27K with a 5.4 sec 0-60, and yes, you can get a navigation system in the US if you want it. Very much unlike Honda, who only offers that overseas and doesn't even propogate recalls from Europe to the US on things such as, oh let say minor things like parts that lead to transmission or cylinder failure.

-B
Old 07-05-2002, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a white one - would take a new 2002 but non available here in my area. From what I read and gathered from the dealers model change will be 2006 but who knows and really I can't let that hold me back - everything changes with time but I would think Honda would want to get some more metal parts stamped from the dies before mouthballing.

As to the price yea it seems to be dropping but again I am dealing in todays market when will the z becoming out ??? Dealers around me have 2000 used units 10 -20k miles they are asking $32k and $35k for a new one so the $300 below msrp seems good to me.

One thing I noticed on the used cars is the bodies seem to be in good condition no parking lot dings ?? seems odd to me. The tires also seem to wear out fast - is there a solution with out hurting the handling ???
Old 07-05-2002, 10:30 AM

Unless you are like me and looking for a particular color...Silverstone...then get a sweet deal on a 2002 man! If you can't find an 02, then 300 off msrp on an 03 is a great deal.
Old 07-05-2002, 10:49 AM

Again... what area is this that you are gettin $300 below MSRP???
Old 07-05-2002, 11:19 AM

Honda supposedly has a pattern of making "major" changes every 4 years in their other cars. They've also sat idle and watched the Boxster release a more powerful S edition which was most likely a direct response to the regular Boxster owners being pummeled on the road by a better/cheaper car. Now there is the WRX, 350Z arrives in October (you can preorder now), and the RX-8 due in 2004. So the S2000 is losing ground when it comes to power and it definitely will have an impact on sales. I know I bought mine because of the weight to HP ratio and its affordability. Now there are a lot more options. Honda will need to update its model to compete in that market. I'd look for that in the 2004 model.

As I said, 350Z is out in October as well. The 2000 used prices you quote are way off for the market. If you investigate on edmunds.com or kbb.com (particular check the edmunds TMV pricing/trade-in quotes) you'll note that the 2000 models should be going for around 27-28K. And I think you'll find that used car prices are open to much debate. I might be willing to part with my 2000 S2K with 9800 miles on it for around 27K.

People take extraordinary care of their S2000's. And for some reason, fewer people will ding a sports car with their doors. I'm not saying they don't, but when they pull up to a shiny car they pay more attention when they swing that door open. That, and many S2K owners park far out to avoid that. (I do). In addition, dealers repair dents/dings with paintless dent removal and polish scratches out before showing the cars.

The tires wear out about every 10-12K miles. They are made from a softer rubber compound that sticks well to the road. This gives it that ~ .90 skid pad score. Change the tires and you'll get slightly less on the skidpad, but few of us need .90. I've heard some say that the Bridgestone S03's are a good choice for replacement tires that last longer and offer good performance. But the best bang is felt with the stock OEM S02's, if you can handle replacing them fairly often.

At 300 below MSRP the dealer will be pulling in over $3000 profit on the car. Typically dealer profit margins on other cars is around 5-7%. $300 under MSRP is closer to 10%. So for your market, that may be ok, but in general- its not a good deal. Many of us, including me, paid well over MSRP. But that was in 2000. Now I've heard of people getting them for $600 over invoice. I don't think I'd pay more than 5% over invoice now- of course I can walk out of a dealership and get in my S2000 and drive away happy.

-B

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sparki2
[B]I am looking for a white one - would take a new 2002 but non available here in my area. From what I read and gathered from the dealers model change will be 2006 but who knows and really I can't let that hold me back - everything changes with time but I would think Honda would want to get some more metal parts stamped from the dies before mouthballing.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:39 AM

I see the base invoice is $29605.74 according to Kelley Blue Book and MSRP is $32860.00 - nice profit to me - I agree price will be dropping but like you I want to play so you pay.

As noted this the best discount in my area - did find a dealer in NY automatically said $500.00 under and through in the cover and wheel locks but then you have travel and if thereis a problem I like to be in striking range to return tothe selling dealer.

The car is for my wife - she drives just a few thousannd miles a year, as we use my company car for most all travel so the tire issue is nothing for us - unless we find me driving it to much.

I did look at 2000 with 20k on it - had new tires but a cracked windshiel - I offered $23k he came to $25k and the deal died there - oh well, plus the back window was starting to go foggyu and it was a out of state car - called dealer it was delivered jan 2001 so the man did drive it.

What do thing the value will be on these cars with high mileage ?? any thought - is there a time to trade on such high performance cars - ??
Old 07-05-2002, 03:05 PM

Just got another call from another dealer in the area I am looking and they quoted $31995.00- which is $845 off msrp= slightly better than the $300.00 previously quoted by another dealer. I really think the price will fall as others on this topic have so noted - I haven't even looked as those cars so noted - perhaps I should.
Old 07-05-2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by sparki2
Just got another call from another dealer in the area I am looking and they quoted $31995.00- which is $845 off msrp= slightly better than the $300.00 previously quoted by another dealer. I really think the price will fall as others on this topic have so noted - I haven't even looked as those cars so noted - perhaps I should.
Just remember, if they don't give you a price you like, they get nothing. Sure, they might sell the car to the next guy for 10% profit, but its better for them to sell you one for 5% profit, then get another and sell it to that next guy for 10% rather than let you walk away.

Byron
Old 07-05-2002, 05:08 PM

I understand what you are saying but I don't think many dealers look at this - I see it better to have a bird in the hand than 2 in the bush - but that is not the way Honda dealers see it - one told me they have no problem finding a customer at $3k over sticker - not me. I looked in 2000 and backed off now 3 years they are below sticker price.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by bguernsey

2002's aren't almost a year old- if you order a 2002 today, you could get one that just came off the factory floor a month ago...brand new.
Don't know if this was what he meant, but here's my take:
Say you buy an '02 in August vs an '03 in Sept/Oct. If you sell the car in 2-3-4 years, you'll probably automatically get about $2K less since that's about the diff in a model year's resale. So even though the cars may have been a month different in age, you'll suffer. To be sure, you should factor in miles (if the '03 was "average miles" it would be "low miles" for a 1 mth older '02). But let's face it, we all tend to want a later model year. So, if you are planning on turning any car over in a few years, I'd say get the latest model year, or factor that in on getting a lower price on the late-year models (if you can!).

And to answer another Q: the Z's come out in August. Nissan has been trying to work the dealers to not price gouge. One rumor is that a roadster will be available in Feb? What kind of time is that for releasing a convertible??

Quick Reply: 2003 - Price