S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2002 Differences from 2001/2000 from a previous 2000 owner

Old 12-11-2001, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Differences from 2001/2000 from a previous 2000 owner

I had traded in my 2000 about 2 weeks ago to get my 2002... (Got an amazing deal I couldn't pass-up...)

ANYWAY, I had read a bunch about what the differences are (and are not), but here's what I've found:

(1) The stock speakers are infact different in the doors... They are blue-plastic and have no 'paper' cone, nicer..but the magnet is still small (found this when putting my Infinitys back in). I would still recommend replacing all the speakers from the factory, but the 2002 sounds vastly better than previous years.

(2) The shift knob isn't full silver (as shown in the Japan pics), its the old knob that has the center area milled out and then wrapped with leather (its quite nice, but the Voodoo knob just had to go back on...anyone wanna buy a 2002 shift knob!?)

(3) The 'BLACK' interior of the 2002 (at least on the new silver) isn't really black. Its more of a charcoal with a slight blue tint... This became apparent when putting in my jet-black muz mats in (previous S2000 was black). Still looks very good with the black muz-mats.

(4) The suspension is DEFINATELY-DEFINATELY different. Not only does it ride different (in a good way-- it seems even more 'flat' in corners), but I tried to place my strut bar from my 2000 S2000 on (the settings of the bar--distance, etc.. weren't changed), and it does NOT fit. The struts appear to be between 1/4" and 1/2" closer in.

(5) The clutch is hardly light. In fact, its more stiff than my 2000's was. I don't know why people are commenting that theirs is feather light!?

(6) Clutch engagement-- again, I don't know why others have seen a difference, but it actually engages closer to the floor than my 2000 did.

(7) Shifting is smoother and has NO notchieness to it whatsoever. Its still the same throw, etc... just smoother.

(8) The stereo not only has a clock, but all the bass/treble/fade/bal controls are digital now... you push the right knob and set them as opposed to those little black knobs that you would push to pop-out.

(9) The tonnue cover has changed. There is only 1 'clip' on the pass/drivers side to push in from underneeth. The safety straps (the ones on the elastic bands on each side) are the same. Much easier to attach, and doesn't appear to 'flap' up like previous designs.

(10) The wheels appear to little darker silver with a little more metallic-flake. I have a spare set of rims, and they are definatly not identical (but close).

(11) The fan (AC fan inside) 'appears' to blow harder... This could be my imagination, but at like 4 bars its a lot of air, and at full it reallllly cranks.

(12) The 'chrome' on the tail-lights and interior (theres a small metal 'ring' next to the door panel where you pull the door closed..hard to describe) is very subtile, and looks quite attractive (at least on a silver color car).

(13) All electrical and engine components appear to be identical to previous models from what I could see.

-- Aaron
Old 12-11-2001, 09:03 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honk the horn.. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised
Old 12-11-2001, 09:37 AM

Did anyone also notice more padding in the seats?
Old 12-11-2001, 09:40 AM

Aargh, with all the accolades being given to the 02 model, I am extremely upset. Not enough to trade my car of course but oh well. Glad to hear they improved on most of the things that owners griped about.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:03 AM

I own a 2000. Sat in a yellow 2002 at the Orlando auto show a couple weeks ago. There are a number of other subtle differences in the newer models.

The plastic trim piece that outlines the dash, as well as the trapezoidal plastic plate in which the roof and hazard buttons sit, are made of a different color/finish of plastic than the 2000s. Kind of a gray, grooved plastic rather than the bland, black, untextured plastic on the 2000s. I think the cupholder cover and "trash hole" behind it are both textured plastic now, as opposed to the same untextured stuff on ours. Honda must have decided that was too boring or perhaps expensive or lacked longevity...

Seats felt the same to me. I like the chrome-like trim around the door handles. Shifter was removed for display. The vinyl console cover looks handsome and fits very well--the edges, like the carpet in the pre-2002s, are fastened neatly into the tunnel with those round clips--and would be my choice over the Hesel version, despite being vinyl and likely more expensive.

The weakest link as far as interior trim goes--the easily scratchable silverish shifter surround--seems unchanged still.

Just my observations as a 2000 S2K owner.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:26 AM

Ah... Ya, I forgot the Dead-Petal and the Leather console (which goes ALL the away around back--totally over kill IMHO, but thanks anyway, Honda). Ohh, did I mention that I have a rear-defroster now!! Woohoo. The buttons on the defroster and cruse-control "on" switch are also different... Can't really describe how, but different shape.

-- Aaron
Old 12-11-2001, 01:48 PM

Here's a juxtaposition of the different interior colors now:

I don't really care for the red, though the blue is nicer than I expected.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the trunk light and possibly the trunk itself have been arched a little higher...

http://216.120.113.130/forums/showthread.p...&threadid=34759
Old 12-11-2001, 02:05 PM

The tach indicator lines printed in white are different. The 2001 and earlier were not joined at the top with a white line that created an arc that runs parallel to the tach lights.

Of course we know the badges on the outside are larger.

The carpet now has 2 posts to hold it in place not just one.

There are more stretchy pockets on the interior, notably on the doors now, although they are so small I'm not sure what would go in there, a map of your garages floor plan???

I think there is something else but my mind has gone blank because I'm more interested in getting a reaction to amartin's #4
[QUOTE](4) The suspension is DEFINATELY-DEFINATELY different. Not only does it ride different (in a good way-- it seems even more 'flat' in corners), but I tried to place my strut bar from my 2000 S2000 on (the settings of the bar--distance, etc.. weren't changed), and it does NOT fit. The struts appear to be between 1/4" and 1/2" closer in.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:19 PM

i dont know about other 2002's, but my car definitely has the notchiness when i shift between 1-2-3. it didnt really bother me since some other manual transmission cars i had in the past also had the same problem.

Quick Reply: 2002 Differences from 2001/2000 from a previous 2000 owner