S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2002 2nd gear grind question

Old 04-15-2002, 03:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dookie
[B]This is not the infamous "1-2 grind" for the MY2000 cars.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already 1600 on mine and had the 1-2 grind twice so far. I've found that (1) the shifting becomes much more smoother as the milage increased (2) I don't get the 1-2 grind as long as I give myself about a half second before popping the gear into 2nd. (3) going through all the gears (including the reverse) during "warming" up of engine helps prevent the 1-2 grind and the shifting much more smoother. Any more experiences or suggestions?
Old 04-15-2002, 04:43 AM

Well I've got news, I'm middle aged (although I hate that term), just bought the car and am still babying it. No high RPM shifts and no speed shifting but a noticible "engagement" between all gears. Is this normal. I've never had a manual that "engaged" so roughly. Is this a Honda quirk? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:49 AM

I've noticed that "engagement" upto about 600 miles (didn't matter if the engine was hot or cold it took some "effort" in my part to pop the gear into places). But now it's like cutting butter...so long as I warm my engine up properly and do my quick "gear shifting excercises" before I go on any trip. I've noticed same behavior in my Prelude as well so I'm guessing this is just a Honda thing?
Old 04-15-2002, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by Black Moon
...No high RPM shifts and no speed shifting but a noticible "engagement" between all gears. Is this normal. I've never had a manual that "engaged" so roughly. Is this a Honda quirk? Thanks for the feedback.
Mine does the same thing and I've had it for a year now. After the car magazines raved about the slickness of the s2k's manual transmission, it surprised me that mine was so "notchy." I, however, will admit that there's no doubt when the transmission is "in gear" and that I do like the way the stick jumps to the next position so effortlessly. Maybe we "middle aged" types remember the slickness of the MG transmissions (and have forgotten how weak the synchros were ) and compare all other manuals to them...
Old 04-15-2002, 05:34 AM

How many miles before cutting hard cheese turned to cutting butter? Thanks
Old 04-15-2002, 05:43 AM

It was a gradual process. But I think last time I remember I had about 1200 miles on, the "notchy" feeling or "engagement" problem was completely eliminated, at least when the car is warm (to me, proper engine warm up is waiting untill I see 3 bars on engine temp lighted...painfully slow I must say PLUS about 3 miles of actual run...no VTEC, nothing aggressive)...and it's good to go for the rest of the day. Note I still DO get the "notchy" feel if I try to move my baby after she's just "waken up ."
Old 04-15-2002, 05:45 AM

When my 2001 was new, I probably experienced "the grind" a half-dozen times. After about 3,000 miles, it magically dissapeared.

When I get another S2000, I'm going to wait about 1,200 miles before first engaging VTEC. This is just my personal opinion, but I feel that the transmission in these cars is not ready for the high RPM shifts at just 600 miles. I would also minimize high RPM shifts until about 2,500 miles.

Again, just an opinion from someone with no engineering background.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:48 AM

02 Spa Yellow with 12000 miles here.
My tranny was notchy from the day one (1-2 shift and 2-3) but
I have never experience any 'grinding'

NO signs of tranny becoming silky smooth but occasionally 2-3 shift is like cutting butter!
Old 04-15-2002, 05:57 AM

It's a shame that we are even talking about this...I think Honda could have done a better job on tranny in this car, I mean, what's the point of having such a wonderful engine when your transmission cannot back it up?...but I guess it just makes that VTEC zone more "mysterious ." Any one aware of similar problem, say, in Boxters S or M3? I hate to believe it but I just have this feeling that it's a "Honda specific" issue.

Quick Reply: 2002 2nd gear grind question