S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2001 1-2 gear grind

Old 07-19-2001, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 1-2 gear grind

Help. I have a 2001 S2K. 4,000 m iles and it has done the gear grind a bunch. I called the dealer and left the car for a week. I made them aware of the fact that the problem was intermitant and had them look up the TSB. They said no problem and they would fix it. Now they say that Honda won't fix it unless they can duplicate the problem. They say that Honda fixed the problem for the '01 model year. Well not mine. I need some ammo. Anyone with an '01 year have this problem?. Did you get it fixed? If so how? Please help.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:18 PM

I have that problem but I haven't taken it in to the dealer to get it fixed yet. I will post my results when I do.
-Brandon
Old 07-20-2001, 03:53 AM

I have a 2001 w/4000 miles which has done this about 4 times. I have always been fully engaged, but I was rushing the shift . I found the following thread very informative and it completely eliminated my 1-2 crunches. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...highlight=grind
Old 07-20-2001, 05:10 AM

This happened to me for the first time the other day. I was not pleased.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:20 AM

Yeah I used to have this probelm with my 2001. Then after reading the post from woodwork I decided to start playing with how I was shifting to try and get a good way of shifting in the s2k. I found that you can shift quicly inthe s2k with this procedure...when you are climbing to 9K rpm you need to put some pressure on the shifter as if trying to shift to 2nd gear (loading the shifter) then when you go to shift keep the same amount of pressure on the shifter and let it slide into 2nd. I was used to my old ws.6 and firehawk where I would slam it into 2nd the second I put the clutch in. With the s2k this will not work...you need to just apply enough pressure to push it down there and believe me it will shift quicly...it will pull the shifter right in and there you go. I can even powershift with this technique now where before when I slammed it I couldn't never shift about 8K without grinding! Try it!
Old 07-20-2001, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have a 2001 with about 7,500 miles on it and I get the 1-2 grind all too frequently. It does come primarily when rushing the shift (I've never had it happen when I am really concentrating on the shift and being very deliberate), so I have mostly attributed it to me. However lately I've been thinking otherwise as the "catch" that most people have noticed when shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd seems to be getting worse in my car, so I've been thinking of taking it in.

Clark
Old 07-21-2001, 09:00 AM

Thought I'd add an update. Honda says that there is no problem with th MY 01 S2k. Apparently its my imagination. I still think that I shouldn't have to modify my technique so much to stop this problem but rather Honda should modify their design to meet normal usage practices. They won't even talk to me by the way. My punishment to them. A letter with every new car that I buy ( I have six right now) letting them know of my latest purchase and why I didn't even consider buying a Honda. This also holds true for my motorcycles.
Old 07-21-2001, 10:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by oublaj
Thought I'd add an update. Honda says that there is no problem with th MY 01 S2k. Apparently its my imagination. I still think that I shouldn't have to modify my technique so much to stop this problem but rather Honda should modify their design to meet normal usage practices.
I agree with you.. I have had dozens of standard transmission cars that did not require me to do something special for them to operate properly. Do work the issue through the AHM Zone office listed in your owners manual.

BTW, I have a '00 that has had the TSB work and it still grinds when very hot.
Old 07-21-2001, 10:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hate to say it but the'01 doesn't grind when properly shifted (with a good clutch)......look at the mechanics of the mechanism if you don't believe me. Either your clutch is out of adjustment or your shifting prematurely.
Old 07-21-2001, 05:54 PM

my cousin who has driven many manual transmission car test drove my car today and told me that there seems to be a grind. I thought my only problem was my clutch buzzing but I guess not. I better take my car in soon....

Quick Reply: 2001 1-2 gear grind