S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2000 Formula Red - base coat/clear coat??

Old 02-07-2004, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NFRs2000NYC
Thank you speedfreak.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:40 PM

I'm intregued on this now, I sell these products and I've always believed that the non-metallic finishes were not clear coated. New formula Red, Taffeta White, Grand Prix White are examples of this. The Firepepper Red Pearl, and the White Diamond Pearl are examples of red and white that are metallic and need the clear coat.

I used to be in the commercial finish business in a former life and I know that really clear finishes do not stand up to UV very well, and this is the reason that Marine Spar varnish is the color of honey.

Speedfreak, are you suggesting that the finish of the NFR has clear mixed into the pigment color and thus it has a clear coat? Does this definition mean that we have only two steps in painting the car, primer and finish. Verses three for a metallic: primer, color finish/metallic, and then clear?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, I just found this as I was doing a search. So everyone should know

Service Bulletin 03-065: 2004 Honda Paint Codes

Every color on the S2000 is apparently a 2 stage process. Yes NFR is clearcoated. So I hate to say I told you so, but I did.

Now if you are going to argue that Honda doesn't know what they are putting on their cars. Then I'll just shut-up and wonder in amazement.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys have a question about factory paint why don't you ask a factory guy!?

The Tochigi factory sprays color that is water borne, therefore it does need a (solvent borne) clear, all the colors from the Tochigi factory have clear.

The S2000 red has an orange color coat, and then a purple tinted clear. If you rub too much you will see orange splotches coming through cuz you are rubbing off the tinted purple.

The refinish paint formulas for body shops usually have a 3 stage: color, tinted clear, then clear.

Honda has 9 factories that supply the North American Market. As a general rule if the paint is a solid color sprayed in the older technolgy of solvent borne, then it does not need a clear. (taffeta white)

The factories with the new technology water borne will clear coat every color. Tochigi, East Liberty, Canada (line 2) and Alabama all use waterborne. Sayama, Suzuka, Marysville don't.

HTH
Woodwork
(I wrote the paint bulletin)
Old 02-10-2004, 03:36 PM

WOODWORK - are you listening???

Not to sure if I'm pleased that Honda has painted the NFR S2000 color in such a fashion with orange base and purplish clear. I assume that this makes accurate refinishing difficult as local shops probably spray red base and clear CLEAR. Perhaps I am wrong.

My question relates to predelivery resprays by HONDA. Undoubtly several S2000's have required resprays of panels either at the factory or to repair enroute damage prior to release of the vehicle to dealers. What is the painting technique? Orange base/purple clear??

I have a patient who is a former President of the Autoport in Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia. He has told me that for a number of the European makes, "touch-ups" of in-transit damage are done with manufacturer supplied "factory paint". Could I assume that any Autoport S2000 resprays would be factory orange base/purple clear???
Old 02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodwork
If you guys have a question about factory paint why don't you ask a factory guy!?

The Tochigi factory sprays color that is water borne, therefore it does need a (solvent borne) clear,
Old 02-11-2004, 03:35 AM

Turbo_twit if you go back and read the posts I don't believe all the arguing was about clear on the S. Redbullet and I stated that our body shops agreed that there was no clear on the NFR. I believe i also stated if there was clear on NFR it has to be tinted. So I don't see how I was wrong. And technically there still is no clear on NFR there is a tinted clear based product .So buffing could change the color of the car, not like if you were buffing straight clear.

all the arguing was because of contradicting post not knowing what ones talking about but trying to save face.

nfrs2000nyc
Oh, and I don't like to argue either, but you are very incorrect about purchasing paint. The only option you have is color. Not stages or how many coats of clear you want.
2. :
It does not have any reflective properties. All the showcars that have paint you can swim in have about 13 or more layers of clearcoat, and many stages of paint.
thats just one example ,read the tread over and you will see my point .If you cant that is your ignorance.

Now are we done with the name calling
Old 02-11-2004, 04:44 AM

Redbullet, id question your friend the bodyman I knew it had some form of clear on it. OH, and a big OOPS on my part. I meant to say my 1990 ZX didnt have a clearcoat on it! And i dont belive Datsun was even around yet in 1900
Old 02-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by Twiztid
Turbo_twit read the tread over and you will see my point .If you cant that is your ignorance.

Now are we done with the name calling
Show me where I called you a name?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:50 PM

common kids no one is a poopy face here lets all get along now.

Quick Reply: 2000 Formula Red - base coat/clear coat??