S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2000 Formula Red - base coat/clear coat??

Old 02-01-2004, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with scott 100percent...my car was hit last year! and when I took it to my body shop guy, he told me there was NO clear coat on the car..He is the best in New England and a long time friend. So I know he is telling me the truth.

And now sometimes you can see the difference in red in a different light. Its not really a big difference but its there.

Alot of people have agrued the point. But it's true coming from the factory there is no clear coat. happy driving
Old 02-01-2004, 03:33 AM

I am confused.

As has been suggested I rubbed down an area on the hood with swirl remover and the residue stained the cheese cloth red. So.... no clear coat or does the clear coat have red pigment???

Obviously I am hoping that there is no clear so I can avoid refinishing the two panels , thus avoiding $$ and the resultant mismatch of color.

A friend of mine is a retired regional zone manager for Honda. I called him last night. He did not have the answer but said he would call a colleague at Honda R&D to get to the bottom of the problem. I will let you know.

I will be a very very happy man if there is no clear coat.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:08 AM

My 00 is definatly clear-coated just got it back from the bodyshop The only car i can recall owning that didnt have a clear-coat was my 00 Nissan 300ZX TT
Old 02-01-2004, 05:34 AM

OK ok what the hells going on here.First off i'm a bodyshop tech and have been one for many years i fix them as well as paint them so let me tell you how paint realy goes.

This whole thing about laquer......drop it laquer is so out dated you have to really search to find a place that even sells it. Granted when laquer was being used it looks real nice it would sand and buff real easy and shine like you wouldn't belive but the VOC( volital organic compounds) were exrtemly high and very bad for the ozone.

Now single stage paints are just what it says a single stage. It have it has acrylic clear mixed with the paint but the clear that was added doesn't holed up to the uv rays of the sun that well so that is why it fades over time if not properly maintained ie:waxing. Lots of car companies will still spray a car from the factory in a single stage format cause it is cheaper. What there reasoning behind this no one knows for sure but one thing that makes sence is that red pigments in paint are the most expencive minus pearls of course, and the urethane clear coats that are used today are very expencive to so to save monye in the long run, some manufactuars like honda ,toyota and even nissan still use this practice.

Also remember that this industy is always changing and the paint companys like PPG, sikkens, standox, spise hekker and duppont like to throw in a wrench to change something that you are just getting to know.

So in your defence NFR yes a car has to have clear coat on it in some way shape or form for it to withstand the hamfull UV's from the sun it has nothing to do with water proofing that is what the primer is there for.

OH and enamel yeah they suck to cause they don't shine for crap nomatter how much you buff it it will dull out the next day.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you speedfreak. I didnt mean clearcoat was for waterproofing, it was just an example. Am I wrong is saying clearcoat is basically a protective paint sealant???
Old 02-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PortugueseS2K
My 00 is definatly clear-coated
Old 02-01-2004, 02:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by turbo_pwr
Old 02-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Old 02-01-2004, 05:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IFF NFR isn't clear coated, then - I've been using Z2 when I should have been using Z3 DOH!
Old 02-01-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SiDriver
IFF NFR isn't clear coated, then

Quick Reply: 2000 Formula Red - base coat/clear coat??