S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

1st Dealer visit - clutch/lurching

Old 08-10-2001, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Dealer visit - clutch/lurching

I took my car into the dealer yesterday to have a few things checked:

1) Clutch noise (TSB-54): Dealer reponse: "Bulletin that customer referred to applied to 2000 model and involves removing transmission and replacing clutch disc to dampen noise. Will not make it completely go away as some noise is normal. Compared to similar vehicles, clutch is operating to specs at this time".

2) Lurching in stop and go traffic: Dealer response "Advised customer that car is designed with higher torque and lower gear ratios than other cars. If there is a driveability problem a code should set and check engine light will come on......"

So I don't get a new clutch disc, and somehow my car is now "higher torque". Ever get the feeling that some dealers have no clue????
Old 08-10-2001, 07:17 PM

Just wait until they accept your plea and do more damage than repair..

That's what a few of us are dealing with right now. How many miles do you have currently?

The lurching/problem can be researched by using the keywords "hesitation,stumbling, stalling,etc" Most people solved their problem by tapping the MAP sensor. Others have had them replaced under warranty. I would try another dealership to see if they might be more helpful.
Old 08-17-2001, 02:35 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

I just took my MY2000 to the local Honda dealer regarding the clutch noise. They test drove it for maybe .1 mile, and said, yep, thats the noise. Ther are ordering the parts today, and said it will be about a week till they get them.

If the buzzing noise is between 4000 and 2500 during deaccelration, that is what is covered. If the dealership won't agree to do the work, as for the area manager or district manager or whatever he/she is called!
Old 08-17-2001, 03:01 PM

I have noticed this lurching in stop and go traffic, especially if I'm running the A/C. I always have my left foot ready for a clutch disengagement to save myself the embarrassment
V
Old 08-17-2001, 03:12 PM

When I took the car to the dealer I explained that some of my fellow s2k'ers were having similar problems (lurching in stop and go traffic). I also told him that some had the MAP sensor replaced and that seemed to help. Of course his response was that no codes were registered and therefore they could not determine if the sensor was faulty. And they would not replace the sensor.

So how much is a MAP sensor for our car? I'd rather buy it myself and put it on vs. dealing with this guy again!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 04:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcoates1
[B]When I took the car to the dealer I explained that some of my fellow s2k'ers were having similar problems (lurching in stop and go traffic).
Old 08-18-2001, 07:50 AM

Aye, I'd agree with trying another dealer. I took mine to a place that deals with Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, <something I always forget>, and Honda. They know performance cars, they know what the s2k is, and the take care of their customers.

I played "stupid consumer" and said that I get grinds from 1-2 on hot days, and I doubted it was me, because I usually have no problems. I also mentioned that I had a buzzing noise when I decelerated from about 4200 rpm, and it went away when I put the clutch in or stepped on the gas. I told them if they drove it to test it to be careful, because the tires were getting down to the wear bars, and the guy said, "It'll probably rain today, so we won't take the chance." Not, "if we can't verify it..." like the last dealer said. Surprise surprise, the service manager called me back and said that there were TSBs on both! What're the odds on that!

Anyway, I got the new clutch disk, pressure plate, first gear, and second gear. After a year of autocrossing and learning how to drive a manual and getting a new clutch and new autox gears, I think it turned out pretty well, and they get my business now.
Old 08-18-2001, 08:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcoates1
[B]So how much is a MAP sensor for our car?