S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

18k miles and burning oil again??

Old 02-07-2003, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18k miles and burning oil again??

okay i know about the burning oil during break in and i've heard all the way up to a few thousand miles. but i just checked my oil today after not checking it regularly since it stopped burning oil about 9,000 miles ago and I'm down 2 stars on the low side.

what the heck? anyone else burning oil this late in the game or is there something else i should look for?

thanks.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:00 PM

I'm at 75k miles and still burn oil. I also had a few stretches where I didn't burn any oil too. This engine is weird...
Old 02-07-2003, 05:31 PM

every time the low consumpion issue comes up , all the die hard s2k owners start yelling "you need to check it every 300 miles" which is ridiculous with todays technology. my s2ki is almost a bad memory and the BMW im buying recommends no checking an oil change servcice every 15k miles.(they use synthetic). and if the engine does blown up , ill doubt i have to prove it should be warrantied.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Please. Don't anyone listen or feed the trolls like su701 here. Do a search on the threads he has replied to and you will see that all he ever has to say is negative things about the S2000 ALWAYS pertaining to checking the oil.

Oh my gosh....no please not that. I actually have to pull the hood lever inside my car, then lift it, and then check my oil. Oh Lord please anything but that. Where is my butler when I really need him? Get a life su701. People like you that have to have everything done for them with someone holding their hand make me sick.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:56 PM

you should not have to check the oil on a brand new car every day. and im not a troll ASSHOLE. i have owned and maintained faster cars than you ll ever own. every other car manufacturer can build a car that doesnt burn oil. burning oil is for old high mileage cars with bad valve seats , rings ,ect. oil consumption was not my problem with my engine. i just noticed on all short block replacements Honda tried to blame the owners "low on oil" first rather than fix the car!
Old 02-07-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey speedfreak. Calm down, set the crack pipe to the side, and take a deep breath.

i have owned and maintained faster cars than you ll ever own.
This is all you had to say to let people know you are really 14 and wish you had an S2000....enthusiast. You have owned and maintained faster cars than I'll ever own??? So if you can see the future how come you couldn't see that your S2000 would consume oil and skip right on over to the BMW in the first place?

every other car manufacturer can build a car that doesnt burn oil. burning oil is for old high mileage cars with bad valve seats , rings ,ect. oil consumption was not my problem with my engine. i just noticed on all short block replacements Honda tried to blame the owners "low on oil" first rather than fix the car!
This absolutely, without a doubt, proves how young and uninformed you truly are. Have you ever heard of a third generation LS1 or an LS6. In case you haven't they are the engines that go in Z28's, T/A's, C5's and Z06 C5's. Just in case you didn't know they too have been known to burn a little oil every now and then. Have you ever heard of race car? You know....like Indy, Cart, and Formula 1? I refuse to mention the league that makes four left turns. The engines that power these cars can also burn a little oil from time to time. I guess they are just crap too....right?

I feel like I am at Amateur Night at the Apollo.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by su701
i just noticed on all short block replacements Honda tried to blame the owners "low on oil" first rather than fix the car!
Nothing could be further from the truth in my case. My dealer checked the engine for bad valve timing. None was found. Honda-Tech suggested pulling the plugs and checking for cylinder scoring. The dealer did that and found cylinder scoring. AHM immediately and without hesitation ordered a full warranty repair.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
[B]I'm at 75k miles and still burn oil.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Former Moderator

Umm SU cool it wil ya?
Old 02-07-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree. I'm tired of su701 repeating his complaint after we have tried to explain the reality of the automotive world to him over and over.

su, For your info, the industry standard is 1 quart per thousand miles. Most cars do better than this, but it is the standard. Why? Because all manufacturers know that from car to car some will burn more oil than others. A good case in point is the Cadillac Northstar engine. A fine motor with a documented history of burning oil.

I understand that many people aren't aware of this standard. What I don't understand is why anyone would think a car motor that revs to 9,000rpm would not use a little oil and need to be checked at every fill up. This is not a Tercel!

Being down two stars on the stick is no big deal. Buy a quart of oil with a screw on top and top off the oil pan from time to time. What's the problem?

BTW, what makes you think BMW doesn't have engine troubles? Look into the M3. And what makes you think BMW will just hand out free motors without looking into it first?

Quick Reply: 18k miles and burning oil again??