S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

18 Wheeler Against S2000

Old 07-18-2003, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 Wheeler Against S2000

Last week my wife was minding her own business when a semi-trailer truck merging onto the interstate decided that might makes right and sent her to the hospital and our S to the body shop.

This section of highway has been recently blacktopped and it had just started to rain. She had the headlights on and had already lowered her speed to 55 mph.
Moving to the fast lane was not an option because another truck was coming. She could see that this clown had a turn signal going all the way down the ramp and decided that she would lose if he tried to occupy the same space so she hit the brakes. The truck cut in front of her and the vacuum of his trailer spun her front end into the lane to her left.
Just in time for the trailer duals on the truck in the fast lane to hit her on the left front spinning her 3 or 4 times. The car came to rest in the left lane. She restarted it and drove onto the median.
She was pretty shook up and bleeding with a cut on her head from the convertible top hardware. A trip in the ambulance, 3 staples and a bad headache later she was damn lucky to be alive.
This car is tougher than I thought. The fender, hood, bumper, wheel and suspension on the left front is toasted but it absorbed the shock keeping the damage from being worse. It looked like a formula car that had been tagged. The estimate is $5,000, less than we expected.
What pissed me off the most is that neither of the trucks stopped they kept on going. Another trucker stopped who had witnessed the whole thing. He had the name of the truck line but not a truck number. When the state patrol spoke with the company they denied having a truck in the area.

I'm thankful that my wife is fine and the car can be fixed.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:49 PM

Wow...what a story! Thank god she is alright...that's the important thing.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-18-2003, 10:06 PM

I'm glad that your wife is still with you. As RedBlur mentioned, that's the most important thing.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:49 PM

Well, it sounds like she'll be fine soon enough, thank God. You probably did all you could to catch the truck drivers, but if you're still working on it, let us know how that works out.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:35 AM

Thankfully your wife is ok. Here in Florida, we have big problems with these heavy duty constuction trucks. In Florida, there are few laws regulating the operation of these big trucks. At their whim, they zig-zag back and forth to get through traffic creating a terrible hazard. They clog up highways by driving like a turtle in every lane blocking traffic making it very difficult at times to get anywhere. It seems either they go too fast for conditions...or too slow. The cops are never around to see this, and would problably do nothing anyway.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:16 AM

Sorry to hear about that....but as everyone else said, as long as your wife is ok, thats all that matters. A car can be replaced, your wife cant!

Good luck with everything, and drive safe everyone.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:50 AM

I have been run off the turnpike by 18 wheelers twice (With my old Audi A4). Both times I honked while passing by and both times they did not use their turn signal. The lucky thing is tht both times I went straight into the grass instead of a metal railing. They did not stop and I didn't get the plastes because I was concentrating on keeping myself alive. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
Old 07-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOly shit! I'm glad your wife is OKAY!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

sorry to hear

Quick Reply: 18 Wheeler Against S2000