S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

10% ethanol = bad?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wirelessguy2005,Apr 25 2008, 08:05 PM
just convert your car over to e85 like i have and i gurantee you will spend less on fuel and make more power in the process.
i'll quote someone here on the forum i forgot who but somebody said "i'd gladly convert to e85 so i can take some 3rd world country child's food away"
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ethanol is actually harmful for the engine. 10% is not going to really harm it however in brazil they are actually having some real issues with engines being damaged. The higher concentrations of ethanol they use there put tiny pit marks in the valves and eventually will lead to lost compression and some costly repairs. Its not something that happens over night, but taxi cabs especially in Brazil are really complaining about it.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Downgear,Apr 26 2008, 06:02 AM
Ethanol is actually harmful for the engine. 10% is not going to really harm it however in brazil they are actually having some real issues with engines being damaged. The higher concentrations of ethanol they use there put tiny pit marks in the valves and eventually will lead to lost compression and some costly repairs. Its not something that happens over night, but taxi cabs especially in Brazil are really complaining about it.
the difference is that the cars in brazil are running straight ethanol, not e85. However if you can show me proof that e85 damages engines i would love to see it.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:05 PM

i converted my car to e85 and it runs awesome. its too bad more of you guys aren't open minded enough to give it a chance.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:40 PM

E85 fuel produces less power than gasoline and lower mpg.

Plus is it creating a negitive economic and environmental impact. At first that sounds wrong but: As stated above - the production of ethanol, especially in the US has led to the rise in prices of many crops. Corn is over $4 a bushel and since a lot of farmers are growing it there is less of a supply of other crops, raising the prices of them too. Which in turn has led to the food shortage problem in many developing/undeveloped countries because they can no longer afford food.

The production of ethanol is also adding to the global warming problem. The clearing of land, farming of the crops and production of ethanol creates approx. 14 times more pollution than the burning of it saves vs using straight gasoline.

Additionally, as a way to help our (US) domestic farming economy which is highly subsidized by the government already, we do not import Brazilian sugar cane which is a much more efficient way to produce the fuel than using corn.

IMO ethanol currently is a horrible choice as a fuel. Until we allow fair trade to take place, and develop newer ways to produce it that is less harmful on the environment (algae) it will be doing much more harm than good.

I'd rather send my money to Canada and Mexico for good old Oil.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by STOPpre,Apr 26 2008, 05:40 PM
E85 fuel produces less power than gasoline and lower mpg.

Plus is it creating a negitive economic and environmental impact. At first that sounds wrong but: As stated above - the production of ethanol, especially in the US has led to the rise in prices of many crops. Corn is over $4 a bushel and since a lot of farmers are growing it there is less of a supply of other crops, raising the prices of them too. Which in turn has led to the food shortage problem in many developing/undeveloped countries because they can no longer afford food.

The production of ethanol is also adding to the global warming problem. The clearing of land, farming of the crops and production of ethanol creates approx. 14 times more pollution than the burning of it saves vs using straight gasoline.

Additionally, as a way to help our (US) domestic farming economy which is highly subsidized by the government already, we do not import Brazilian sugar cane which is a much more efficient way to produce the fuel than using corn.

IMO ethanol currently is a horrible choice as a fuel. Until we allow fair trade to take place, and develop newer ways to produce it that is less harmful on the environment (algae) it will be doing much more harm than good.

I'd rather send my money to Canada and Mexico for good old Oil.
i think you might want to check the source on your information. Most of what you just said is completely wrong. The worst part about this county is that too many people think just like you. so they keep paying the high gas prices and complaining about it everyday. why not seek a long term solution to the gas dependency of this country? or should we all be just like you and try to come up with reasons that it won't or can't work? really kinda sad if you ask me....
Old 04-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by wirelessguy2005,Apr 26 2008, 07:22 PM
i think you might want to check the source on your information. Most of what you just said is completely wrong. The worst part about this county is that too many people think just like you. so they keep paying the high gas prices and complaining about it everyday. why not seek a long term solution to the gas dependency of this country? or should we all be just like you and try to come up with reasons that it won't or can't work? really kinda sad if you ask me....
No, actually most of what he said is completely correct. The only thing I find questionable is the 14x the pollution.

Corn for ethanol production is heavily subsidized.
Corn prices have gone up. Current cost is actually 5.90 a bushel, up from a 2006 average of $3 per bushel. In comparison oil average $58 a barrel in 2006 and is now $118.
Corn is displacing other crops and causing water shortages.
20-30% of the energy from ethanol is used up in production.

Ethanol from corn is pretty stupid when dino oil is available. I'm all for finding alternatives, but not when they are not economically viable and cause more environmental damage than they prevent. That said, I approve ethanol because I live in California and I can make more power off it than I can piss water 91 octane. Too bad they don't sell E85 here.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ethanol is bad
Old 04-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by shotiable,Apr 26 2008, 09:07 PM
ethanol is bad
"mmmmkay"
Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 AM

[QUOTE=wirelessguy2005,Apr 26 2008, 07:22 PM]i think you might want to check the source on your information.

Quick Reply: 10% ethanol = bad?