S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

05-S2000 or Subaru STI ?

Old 01-18-2005, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same situation as you. I already had a daily driver and I was looking for a weekend toy. I thought about the Sti and the Evo, but they were both too similar to my daily driver (read: not convertible).

During my search I would consult my wife for her opinion about the cars I was considering. She's not really a car-person, so she didn't really say much about the Mitsubishi or the Subaru. Actually, I think she was more worried about the boy-racer image of those cars than anything else (I'm in my 30's as well). But I remember the day I brought up the possibility of an S2000. Her eyes lit up with enthusiasm and she said, "Now that's a nice car!" Let me reiterate that she is not into cars AT ALL. But the S2000 really got her excited!

I decided to rent an S2000 for an extended test drive. I put 200 miles on that car in a single day and knew that I had to own one for myself. The rest is history.

If you already have a daily driver you would probably be better off with something fun and different. A roadster fits the bill nicely. Sure, the Sti and the Evo are faster, but that's not a big deal to me. The S2000 is fast enough, if there is such a thing, to be entertaining. I should mention that I do not do any street racing and I've never participated in a stop light drag race. If that's your thing, you might be more inclined to get the Sti. However, for me the S2000 was the more "fun" car.

The first time you drop the top on a nice day and go for a canyon run you will know you made the right decision. I can't wait to drive my S every chance I get!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikecrasher,Jan 17 2005, 08:30 PM
Great comments so far

Is the S2000 REALLY more fun to drive???
I have a 2002 S2000 and my son has a 2005 STi. The S2K is more fun to drive and the open top can't be beat. Go with the S2000

F1DNA

Sebring/Black

T.D.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:51 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

....always go topless!!!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:52 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

...and the people on this board are very cool.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bikecrasher,Jan 17 2005, 07:34 PM
I am in the mood for a weekend toy.
I have an every day car.
I am looking for a:

1. Quality automobile.
2. It has to accelerate like a S.O.B.
3. It has to handle like a Go-cart.
4. Nice looking.
As others have said, the S2000 wins on 1, 3, and 4. I think the convertible also makes it a better "weekend toy". So the question is, how important is number 2? The STi certainly wins there, and can be modded fairly cheaply to become even more of a beast. Also, it's certainly no slouch on 3 and 4. For me, though, "weekend toy" = convertible. The STi's lack of drop-top is a deal breaker for me. Test drive an S2000 on a nice day and see for yourself.

For test driving, I would suggest finding a broken in, used S2000 so that you can really put it through its paces. Or perhaps an 04+ owner in your area who is past the break-in period will let you take it for a spin. The point is, many drivers are reluctant to drive a brand new car really hard (or their dealer reps discourage them), and you must do that in an S2000 to really get a feel for the true nature of the car. If you stay out of VTEC the entire test drive, you will likely be unimpressed.

Also, a used C-5 Corvette convertible would fall in your price range and would do well on 2, 3, 4, and "weekend toy". Not sure about 1.

Anyway, good luck. Let us know your final choice.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:14 AM

I have driven both and have to say that the Sti is a very impressive piece of machinery and its components are second to none. But the S2000 just has a couple things that the Sti does not. The Sti is a blast to drive but it just does not have the feel of the S2K and I think I would get tired of the styling very quickly. I would have to choose the S2K. The Sti has little to much boy racer looks for $30,000+, that wing and pink graphics would have to go.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:18 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by tim62,Jan 18 2005, 12:28 AM
My opinion is if you think for you and your family, do not buy the S2K. However, if you buy the STI, down the road about 6 months, you might be bored with it because, the STI is just like many other sedans out there. It might be a little quicker but that was it, not think else. The S2K is classy, good looking and a roadster.

Tim
Old 01-18-2005, 04:27 AM

As a previous owner of a 03 WRX and was in the market to buy a 04 STi. I went to the dealer and test drove an sti and was very impressed. Then my buddy suggested the s2, wow, test drove it and wow, I had to have one. I was also looking for something to have tons of fun in. I loved my wrx, and thought an sti would be even better until i drove the s2. The torque is not there as the sti but everything else makes up for it and then some. Plus the subaru dealership was not willing to deal half as much as the honda dealer which was awesome to deal with. My s2 was my daily driver til i got a winter beater. like everyone else said, the sti would be more fun year round with the awd but i still find nice days to drive the s in the winter. Good luck, and go test drive, a couple of times. Enjoy with either purchase, you cant go wrong, but of course imo the s is more fun and more of a "toy"
Old 01-18-2005, 05:43 AM

Let me say that I live in Chicago! (non-convertible weather 8 months a year)
I drive by the local honda dealer and drool over the darkish silver 05 s2000.
It looks awesome with the new 05 rims IMHO.

I guess if the S2000 had more tourque without having to rev past 5-6k revs, I would jump at it without needing to have this conversation with you gentelman.

But I do love the sheer torque feeling.
Thats why I am considering the STI.
After all, on the street it sucks to have to WAIT for the power!
From what I hear, the STI handles VERY CLOSELY to the S2000 and brakes better.
Is this true?
I do like to stoplight race(only in very safe places)and the STI would beat
ALOT more cars than the S2000.

BUT I still am attracted to the looks,quality,non-racer boy image of the S2000.
And being a convertible definitely helps also!!!

Still undecided, but you guys have brought up alot of points to really keep me thinking!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As the father of four, two being teenagers still at home, I say get the S2000.
Not only will the kids enjoy it much more than the STi (I can't imagine them fighting to sit in a closed vehicle) but the 2 seats guarantee that when you and the Mrs want to go for a drive, there's only going to be the two of you.
Seriously, my teenagers fight to go for rides with my wife or myself in the S. It is probably the only time they don't mind being seen with the old farts. Ask them what they would prefer you to purchase. That will tell you a lot right there!

Quick Reply: 05-S2000 or Subaru STI ?