S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

05-09 Convertible Top Tears

Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02' top has the same issues. Mine has teared evenly a bit on both sides. I will go in so they can address it because it's ridiculous. No one should be hesitant to put their top down due to rips! =/
Old 11-04-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck. I hope you all fair better than I did. My dealer (Priority Honda, Chesapeake VA), and Honda America told me to get lost. Small tear exactly as described in the TSB. So I smoothed out the problem areas on the bars myself and finally got them to send it out for a patch. MY06 w/ 23k mi.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM

I also have an 05 with the same issue and just got back from the dealer. The service manager and I checked out the frame hinge and on the passenger side as it is specifically noted in the bulletin. The edge of the hinge comes in contact with the fabric just before the top is fully opened. Unfortuntely on the passenger side that edge that comes in contact with the fabric is not rounded over like it is on the drivers side. It seems like an error in the manufacturing where both sides should have been rounded over. The problem is that this is not a simple fix for most people as you need to smooth over the sharp edge and then paint the edge to protect it but you cannot do this without removing the top. The other annoying part about this is that they released the bulletin identifying the issue but are leaving it up to the individual dealers to repair it under "warranty". Unless you purchased the extended warranty, how many people would still have a warranty on an 05 to 07 that would be under 36K miles and also under 3 years from purchase date. If you are paying for this yourself the cost pushes $3K unless you go with aftermarket parts
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 AM

next time get a cloth top ....much much much better than any oem top ever put on our cars !!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 AM

I'm taking my '08 in on Monday to have them look at this as well. This site saved my top, without a doubt. I purchased the car in December with 4200 miles, CPO. I smoothed the burrs myself, it can be done with the top on the car. I used a small crosscut metal file, then followed up with three stepped grits on emery paper: coarse, medium, and fine to polish it up. Rustoleum painter's touch flat black is a perfect match to the factory frame paint, I applied it with a small foam applicator.

I still want the dealer to send it out for patches over the wear areas as there has already been some slight chafing done that I don't want getting worse.

In addition, my elastic straps are already shot, and my top occasionally binds up when lowering as the second bow is not pulled back properly. The TSB 09-033 lists tears at the latches as being caused by a rough spot on the latch, but the root cause appears to be worn elastic straps causing excess pressure on the top material in this area due to improper retraction. They will be replacing my straps when I show them that issue, and I also have a set from Modifry on the way for next time.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmrna,Feb 12 2010, 10:18 AM
I also have an 05 with the same issue and just got back from the dealer. The service manager and I checked out the frame hinge and on the passenger side as it is specifically noted in the bulletin. The edge of the hinge comes in contact with the fabric just before the top is fully opened. Unfortuntely on the passenger side that edge that comes in contact with the fabric is not rounded over like it is on the drivers side. It seems like an error in the manufacturing where both sides should have been rounded over. The problem is that this is not a simple fix for most people as you need to smooth over the sharp edge and then paint the edge to protect it but you cannot do this without removing the top. The other annoying part about this is that they released the bulletin identifying the issue but are leaving it up to the individual dealers to repair it under "warranty". Unless you purchased the extended warranty, how many people would still have a warranty on an 05 to 07 that would be under 36K miles and also under 3 years from purchase date. If you are paying for this yourself the cost pushes $3K unless you go with aftermarket parts
Making this repair was actually quite easy to do with the top in place. See post ^.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM

The dealership in Fort Worth is replacing mine (MY06). Thank goodness for this TSB.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i discovered the tear a week after i got the car.
if a friend if mine (who also owns S2000) wouldn't tell me were to look i wouldn't have found it - it wasn't visible from outside - but form inside i could see day light coming in.

thankfully i had 2 months warranty left and local improter took the TSB's print out and didn't argue at all

so today it was replaced:

Old 07-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Does anybody have a picture of where these tears are happening, and/or what they look like?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by wicked_S2K,Nov 4 2009, 09:50 AM
My 02' top has the same issues. Mine has teared evenly a bit on both sides. I will go in so they can address it because it's ridiculous. No one should be hesitant to put their top down due to rips! =/
or hesitant to put the top UP

Mine stays down for months at a time, no rips yet.

Quick Reply: 05-09 Convertible Top Tears