S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

05-09 Convertible Top Tears

Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from Scotland> Just found this thread by accident, wish I had seen it before. My 2006 developed a tear within a few months of buying it 4 years ago, this in the usual place top corner behind drivers head, I dont think previous owner must have had top down much !!! they lived in England A friend helped me by filing down the burr on the hood loop that caused the tear and patched the inside been fine every since. Always thought the problem was a Honda manufacturing one.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulDS
from Scotland> Just found this thread by accident, wish I had seen it before. My 2006 developed a tear within a few months of buying it 4 years ago, this in the usual place top corner behind drivers head, I dont think previous owner must have had top down much !!! they lived in England A friend helped me by filing down the burr on the hood loop that caused the tear and patched the inside been fine every since. Always thought the problem was a Honda manufacturing one.

Well done. I believe the wear actually happens when the top is down.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought my car an 08 a week ago today. Started my deep drive in to this forum and found this thread and Instantly Check for burrs. Seems this car was taken care of, the linkage was ground down quite a bit. It might have been taken care of at the factory, I don't see any signs of touch up paint. Well dosnt matter just glad to see it was done!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Str3tch
just bought my car an 08 a week ago today. Started my deep drive in to this forum and found this thread and Instantly Check for burrs. Seems this car was taken care of, the linkage was ground down quite a bit. It might have been taken care of at the factory, I don't see any signs of touch up paint. Well dosnt matter just glad to see it was done!

Good news! Probably a previous owner did it, since that TSB has been circulating around for some time. I didn't bother with the touch up paint either. You can't see the filed areas unless you really stick your face in their and go looking for it with a flashlight anyway.

Mine had actually developed a small 1/2" tear when I bought it in 2009. It was professionally patched from the inside and I did the filing. No further wear has occurred since correcting the problem 6 years ago.