S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

05-09 Convertible Top Tears

Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abide
HEY GUYS ITS ME AGAIN!

05 with 107k on the clock and guess what i found in the 3rd top yesterday? oh yeah it's a good one too.
It was even wearing thin in the middle so this third top (i had to pay at least 40% before both times).
called Honda of America, they had me take it to the dealership for pics. then called me back and told me the mileage was too high and it was out of warranty. despite doing the TSB last time and the other defects. I'm pretty much at a loss here. In my immediate family (mom/stepdad) we've had close to 20 between us over the years. I own 2 88 civic wagons as well right now and had a 6th gen accord coupe.

Not sure what my next step is here. for what ive spent on this crap i could have installed a nice canvas top myself years ago and come out way ahead.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 PM

is there any more info on people getting their tops replaced or repaired by Honda? i have an 07 with 42k and the top tore after about 6 months of me owning the car. it falls under the TSB, but it's out of warranty. is there anything at all i could try? i have a hardtop already, but i don't want my top to just stay down with the tears stretching further or anything. any response is appreciated!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S360
is there any more info on people getting their tops replaced or repaired by Honda? i have an 07 with 42k and the top tore after about 6 months of me owning the car. it falls under the TSB, but it's out of warranty. is there anything at all i could try? i have a hardtop already, but i don't want my top to just stay down with the tears stretching further or anything. any response is appreciated!

Similar situation to you. My 06 had 22K, I owned it for a month and it was two weeks out of warranty and saw a 1/2" tear. Took all the pics, called Honda and got a case handler. Went to the dealer to show the documents, photos etc. In the end Honda told me to get lost. I just did the repairs on the sharp bars myself, and Honda paid for an upholstery shop to put a patch on the inside. Have not had a problem since, and you cant even find the tear.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
Similar situation to you. My 06 had 22K, I owned it for a month and it was two weeks out of warranty and saw a 1/2" tear. Took all the pics, called Honda and got a case handler. Went to the dealer to show the documents, photos etc. In the end Honda told me to get lost. I just did the repairs on the sharp bars myself, and Honda paid for an upholstery shop to put a patch on the inside. Have not had a problem since, and you cant even find the tear.
thanks for the response! about how long ago was this? i'm not looking to get them to give me a whole new top, but it would be nice if my dealership did what yours did for you and just paid to have my top patched.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

let's get this back to the top! everyone needs to start being pro-active about their tops, and needs to start sanding down these sharp edges themselves. I just bought my 2nd S2000 last week. The top was ripped in the passenger rear spot but the previous owner had it professionally repaired. I will be sanding down the sharp edges on the frame myself and buying new elastic straps from modifry!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 PM

I've had tears in the problem areas since I bought the car about a year ago but only found out about this TSB recently. It's an 05 with about 115k miles on it and I'm going to bring it into the dealership probably sometime this week. I don't know if the previous owner of the car already had it serviced so I'm not sure if that will make a difference. Is there any advice you guys have for me? I'm hoping I can get a replacement top lol.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:40 AM

I doubt Honda is going to do anything to fix a tear in the fabric top of a 10 year old car.

I just patched the tear in mine using the vinyl/RTV method, and also installed some fabric straps like this: YouTube Link to provide a buffer against further wear. Oh and also, obviously, grinded off the sharp edges on the top of the frame.

I hope you are lucky, but I really can't imagine they are willing to do hundreds of dollars of work for you for free.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've an '04 that I purchased new.

Took it to the dealer for top issues right before the warranty expired and got an appointment for top replacement.
The appointment was after the warranty expired.

When I took it in, I was told they would have to get permission from Honda before they could do the work because, the warranty had expired.

They (Honda) eventually did a "good will" replacement.

Moral: Don't Delay!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM

I have a '05 with 27k miles on it. I just took the OEM hardtop off a few weeks ago, I've had the hardtop on for the past 5yrs. Due to spinal & cervical health issues, I really do not drive my S2k but maybe once a week. I have the hardtop off for now and it seems my softtop is fine(no tears). But should I go ahead and try to have Honda fix the TSB problem or not? Just woundering, if they'll fix a TSB issue that has not happened yet? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:38 PM

I just saw this post today too, i wanna see if i can fix my tear on my top. I can totally see the rubbing every time I put my top down.

Quick Reply: 05-09 Convertible Top Tears