S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

04 s2k launch?

Old 07-15-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000GT,Jul 15 2005, 09:26 PM
yeah, cos the 04 really has sooooooooooo much more torque than the <04 cars.
Now this is getting interesting...

What I'm thinking is that it's not to make up for the extra torque but to reduce the strain on the diff.

I have no idea what to do with mine but figure I'll leave it since I don't drag race much anyways and don't really plan on launching...
Old 07-15-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, honda likely put the delay valve in because it had something to do with saving the diff from failures. to be honest, i've never heard of someone in a stock ap1 who knows how to launch properly and can break 13's, actually break a diff. hell, my first S2000 saw well over 1000 clutch dump launches. my 2nd one here has seen at least 500 before i went with the comptech to prep for FI.

and a stage 2 clutch may not be feasible for someone who wants to auto-x and remain in A-stock, or someone who wants to road race, and is hindered by the delay valve when shifting, or someone who only goes to the drag strip every so often and simply wants to drive spiritedly.

hence the removal of the delay valve is not only cheaper, but easier for most S2000 owners.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2oooNvegas,Jul 15 2005, 11:18 PM
stop being cheap and dumb, and put a stronger pressure plate in your car, that can actually shut. did you ever think honda was a step ahead of you, they designed this part stout, and it couples perfectly with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate. you can sidestep the clutch, with slicks lets say, and the car will start to launch, you feel the slip, and then the clutch smoothly comes in, it is BAD ASS!.
pm 9Kfever, and ask him, he has seen my car launch.
i like how everyone on here, is smarter than engineers at honda, who have unlimited $ for R&D. cracks me up. this part is perfect in every aspect, DO NOT take it off. please. laters. dave
If "this part (delay valve) is perfect in every aspect" Then why would I need it to "Couple perfectly with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate" that would cost me not only $$$ parts and labor, but downtime as well?
I don't think ANYONE on here claimed to be "smarter than engineers at honda" who I am absolutely positive do NOT "have unlimited $ for R&D."

The pretty straightfoward economic reality is that burned friction disks MAKE money for Honda dealers and that broken transmissions and differentials COST Honda a lot of money if replaced under warantee.

There are definitely some cons to removing the delay valve.. if you damage your drivetrain driving without the valve, I'm guessing Honda will deny any subsequent warantee claim. Just as they probably would if you were driving it with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate.

This is a risk that I am personally willing to take since the delay valve bugs the heck out of me.
I somehow managed to drive a fairly heavily modded MY00 for 56,000 miles without doing any damage to any component of the drivetrain.
So I am willing to "be cheap and dumb" so that I can enjoy my car more and be more competitive with it at Auto-X and track events. I'd love to run a timed 1/4-mile against a comparable driver in a 'delayed' MY04 and then switch cars, just to see if there was a measurable difference. I'm pretty sure there would be.

P.S. dave, is the quote in your sig intended to be ironic? I'm just confused, but then I am "cheap and dumb"

Cheers, Mike
Old 07-16-2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Jul 16 2005, 08:58 AM
If "this part (delay valve) is perfect in every aspect" Then why would I need it to "Couple perfectly with a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate" that would cost me not only $$$ parts and labor, but downtime as well?
I don't think ANYONE on here claimed to be "smarter than engineers at honda" who I am absolutely positive do NOT "have unlimited $ for R&D."

what i was trying to say was, they over designed the valve. to be ready for those of us who would upgrade to heavier PP. it works perfect with more clamp force. trust me, i have personally tested 3 different clutches in my car. the *cheap and dumb* is a WOW tactic as a part of a sentence, to wake up numb minds so they will absorb what im trying to say. i placed no ones name on it. so i was neither arrogant or discourteous little buddy. laters dave
Old 07-17-2005, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=S2oooNvegas,Jul 15 2005, 11:18 PM]there,
Old 07-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, I think I am right and you guys are all wrong.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by HondaGal,Jul 17 2005, 12:38 PM
Actually, I think I am right and you guys are all wrong.
I'm sure about us guys being all wrong, but if you only 'think' you're right, then you can't be because thought obviously plays no part in being right or wrong, I think. Or not. Maybe. Whatever.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Jul 17 2005, 09:32 AM
It's probably just me, but I DO place myself under the general category "you all"
So to me the half-arsed apology intended by;
"...i placed no ones name one it. so i was neither arrogant nor discourteous little buddy." is pretty much moot.

Using the term "littly buddy" to someone who was almost certainly working on and racing cars before you were born is most certainly "arrogant AND discourteous"

I am also fairly certain that Honda gave little or no thought to people running stage2/3 pressure plates and slicks when they designed this delay valve, as I'm sure that subset constitutes far less than 1% of all S2000 owners. I'm reasonably certain they installed it to prevent the 80+% of S2000 owners who will never take their cars to a track or become drag launch experts from accidentially damaging their drivertains should the feel the occasional urge to attempt a drag launch.

It seems to me Dave that a rather high percentage of your posts border on being "arrogant and discourteous" and you often claim to not have insulted anyone when it is clear that you plainly did. It seems like an awful lot of your posts are soon followed with clarifying posts that start off with "What I was trying to say was..." Perhaps there is some sort of cognitive disconnect between your 'intentions' and your 'executions' but maybe you could try turning it down a notch to get along a little better with the rest of us. But perhaps it is just me who feels this way, if that is the case, please disregard.

I apologize to everyone for getting this thread off track. I think Wisconsin pretty much covered the topic with his earlier posts. e.g. There is no one RIGHT answer, but depends on too many variables to cover easily in this format.

Cheers,
Mike
LOL. well. i guess we arent all perfect like you. sorry im such a huge hippocrate. LOL. you can take what i say however you want. your insecurities arent my problem. i call everyone little buddy. and i dont care how long you have been working on cars, when you win diagnostic competitions, and are foreman at a shop, etc etc. then we can argue. and as for quoting wisconsin, i could care less until he grows up and gives me an apology for the inappropriate post closings, and drama he has caused. he and yourself can take a long walk off a short peer. i never said EVERYONE on this forum has to like me, or what i have to say. they are my own opinions, and my own personality. i live in this country for the right to free speech, and the right to my opinion. if someone doesnt like it, they can simply click the back button, and go read another post.

thank you drive through.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Jul 17 2005, 09:32 AM
It's probably just me, but I DO place myself under the general category "you all"
So to me the half-arsed apology intended by;
"...i placed no ones name one it. so i was neither arrogant nor discourteous little buddy." is pretty much moot.

Using the term "littly buddy" to someone who was almost certainly working on and racing cars before you were born is most certainly "arrogant AND discourteous"

I am also fairly certain that Honda gave little or no thought to people running stage2/3 pressure plates and slicks when they designed this delay valve, as I'm sure that subset constitutes far less than 1% of all S2000 owners. I'm reasonably certain they installed it to prevent the 80+% of S2000 owners who will never take their cars to a track or become drag launch experts from accidentially damaging their drivertains should the feel the occasional urge to attempt a drag launch.

It seems to me Dave that a rather high percentage of your posts border on being "arrogant and discourteous" and you often claim to not have insulted anyone when it is clear that you plainly did. It seems like an awful lot of your posts are soon followed with clarifying posts that start off with "What I was trying to say was..." Perhaps there is some sort of cognitive disconnect between your 'intentions' and your 'executions' but maybe you could try turning it down a notch to get along a little better with the rest of us. But perhaps it is just me who feels this way, if that is the case, please disregard.

I apologize to everyone for getting this thread off track. I think Wisconsin pretty much covered the topic with his earlier posts. e.g. There is no one RIGHT answer, but depends on too many variables to cover easily in this format.

Cheers,
Mike
LOL. well. i guess we arent all perfect like you. sorry im such a huge hippocrate. LOL. you can take what i say however you want. your insecurities arent my problem. i call everyone little buddy. and i dont care how long you have been working on cars, when you win diagnostic competitions, and are foreman at a shop, etc etc. then we can argue. and as for quoting wisconsin, i could care less until he grows up and gives me an apology for the inappropriate post closings, and drama he has caused. he and yourself can take a long walk off a short peer. i never said EVERYONE on this forum has to like me, or what i have to say. they are my own opinions, and my own personality. i live in this country for the right to free speech, and the right to my opinion. if someone doesnt like it, they can simply click the back button, and go read another post.

thank you drive through.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just an FYI. the right to free speech does not apply on a privately owned forum. if you really want to pick nits.

i'm going to go find a pier now.

And yes, hondagal is always right.

Quick Reply: 04 s2k launch?