S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

04 bumper conversion

Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 bumper conversion

I just received my 04+ bumper from paint. I had trouble getting it to fit correctly. After I removed the foam absorber, it fit better except for the gaps between the inside of the headlights and bumper. I've searched the forums. I've read on one post that I had to grind down the top corners of the crash beam. Is this all I need to do and will it fit correctly? Can someone with the conversion post the fitment of the inside of the headlights to the bumper from the side please?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:30 PM

I'm having the same problem too but only on the right side. There's about a quarter inch gap from the headlight and bumper. The other side is flush. I've also grinded down those two beams. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is any help but if you click on the pics, a few times, it'll supersize them.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:53 AM

rajun asian,

When you did your conversion, did you need to get different front strakes? (the black things that are infront of the front wheels)

I recently had this conversion done and the strakes from the AP1 bumper and splashguard do not fit the AP2 bumper/splashguard. It looks like the holes line up but the new bumper is in the way of letting it sit flush. Did you have to modify that strake? Or is there an AP2 version of the strake?

Oh and to the OP, I modified (grinded down) the front bumper beam. I have read that it can be left alone but you may run a risk of the beam causing a dimple in the AP2 bumper. Some grind, some leave it... I decided to play it safe and grind it.

-JP
Old 06-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Banned

You must cut the front bumper support.

There are a couple bolts holding it on. Remove the support, cut it, and reattach.

This will allow the bumper to fit properly and it will solve the gap issue.

DO NOT force the bumper on. You WILL damage the bumper.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by JPs_PITT_S2K,Jun 2 2008, 08:53 AM
rajun asian,

When you did your conversion, did you need to get different front strakes? (the black things that are infront of the front wheels)

I recently had this conversion done and the strakes from the AP1 bumper and splashguard do not fit the AP2 bumper/splashguard. It looks like the holes line up but the new bumper is in the way of letting it sit flush. Did you have to modify that strake? Or is there an AP2 version of the strake?

Oh and to the OP, I modified (grinded down) the front bumper beam. I have read that it can be left alone but you may run a risk of the beam causing a dimple in the AP2 bumper. Some grind, some leave it... I decided to play it safe and grind it.

-JP
I didn't do anything to the front strakes and they seem to fit pretty good. I've heard about problems with them not fitting but I don't see anything wrong. Gimme a minute and I'll go and see if I can get a pic of how mine fit.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Here ya go.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:08 AM

how muych did it cost to paint?
Old 06-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need a lip...OEM ap2 lip looks so good
Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 PM

I just did this too and I have a gap between the headlights and the bumper too... and I DID grind down the bumper beam...

I kept the foam piece above the beam and grinded that down too. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

jim

Quick Reply: 04 bumper conversion