S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

03 S2000 vs. 04 S2000

Old 05-04-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

By the one that is in the nicest condition within your budget. You'll be happy with either choice.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOVAsupra,May 4 2005, 11:17 AM
It seems to me that they took the edge off to make it more appealing to the masses.

What's the "edge" your talking about??? are you referring to 700rpms??

Sounds like you should get a 03 or below or spend some more time watching

"Posting and You"

http://www.penguinsstealmysanity.com/posting.html

What ever you decide.......I agree that you will be happy with both..
Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TR-S2K,May 4 2005, 12:07 PM
You guys are so mean to the newbie. The search function of this site does not work very well, that why he was asking for helps.

Pre 04 owners like their S more than post 04 mainly for the 9K RPM.
I bought MY04 for daily commute, I like these improvements: more lowend torque so that it is easier for day to day driving, and the 17" wheels and tires.
You will be happy with either one.
thanks.... i tried searching but it kept throwing errors.

i was just wondering what the consensus of the board was if there was any noticeable difference or if someone bought an 04 and regretted not getting an earlier model year (ie supras, back in the day 97-98 supras were tough to modify because of OBDII so some would stick toward the 93-95.... basically i've read the car rag reviews but usually they don't give you the real story. It seems to me like the changes were pretty minor so i'll probably just stick with an 04...

thanks again.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,May 4 2005, 12:35 PM

What's the "edge" your talking about??? are you referring to 700rpms??

Sounds like you should get a 03 or below or spend some more time watching

"Posting and You"

http://www.penguinsstealmysanity.com/posting.html

What ever you decide.......I agree that you will be happy with both..
by edge, i meant that they lowered the redline and softened the suspension, most car magazines complain about lack of torque and a rough ride.... this would seem to satisfy those complaints. it's all good if it's still as fast and fun to drive as the previous models.... which is why I am asking the wonderful, helpful members of this board.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:22 PM
MIC

Go drive both and make your decision. Everyone is biased here and will most likely tell you to buy whichever year they are driving themselves. Some people care about the extra revs the 00-03's have, some couldn't care less. The suspension on the 04 is tuned for the larger tire\shorter side wall setup and cannot be considered as "softened". The car is still as tossable and fun to drive as the MY00-04.

Just go drive both and you'll know right away what you like out of the two cars.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:29 PM

i have an 04...it doesn't seem that smooth to drive on the road. I still feel every bump... 04 and 05s do have wider tires, thus better grip than the previous, imo. Oh yeah, get that damned slave cylinder outta there...you won't miss the 9000 that much after that... maybe
Old 05-04-2005, 04:22 PM

04-05's are PUSIFIED S2000 wannabees!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K
Old 05-04-2005, 04:35 PM

I want to say about the suspension revised again..

"It's softer at the back and stiffer at the front"

..nothing wrong there. The best way is, if you can wait, check the forum in your area( from your screen name I would think that you are in Nothern Virginia, then you need to check Mid Atlantic Owner section), come out to one of the meet, and finnally hope two of those guys will let you test both fully broken in!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by NOVAsupra,May 4 2005, 01:00 PM
by edge, i meant that they lowered the redline and softened the suspension, most car magazines complain about lack of torque and a rough ride.... this would seem to satisfy those complaints. it's all good if it's still as fast and fun to drive as the previous models.... which is why I am asking the wonderful, helpful members of this board.
The suspension is probably a bigger change than the engine.

The front suspension was stiffened slightly and the rear was softened significantly. This appears to have been done to reduce the "bump steer" that was present in the earlier years. In some European tests, where the engine is still the 9000 rpm 2L one, the newer cars were a tiny bit faster around the track, but my guess is that the earlier years feel more tossable.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:59 PM

People are upset because this question has been discussed about a thousand times and has no satisfactory resolution. It seems unlikely that people who choose to buy the 04/05 model would prefer something else. People with 03 and earlier prefer those models, because that's what they've got. It's human nature. I've driven both and they're more similar than different. I imagine that others will have different ideas and that's fine; everybody has a chance to pick what they want. I recommend that you look at and drive each and see which you prefer. Good luck; you won't go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: 03 S2000 vs. 04 S2000