S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

01' 1-2 clutch grind denied by warranty/recall

Old 04-10-2001, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RayS2k
[And it stinks like all hell afterwards!
Actually the grind makes a bad noise like you forgot to use the clutch. No odor.

If you slip the clutch (not related to the grind) you will get a bad odor. That is normally caused by operator error.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as said, trust me... you'll know when you grind.
it's well named - just imagine the sound of gears at speed grinding against eachother.
nasty.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RayS2k
[B]Well, I'm a little pissed.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:05 PM

Sounds like "GRRRREEEEEEEAAAAA!!" haha
Old 11-03-2002, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RayS2k

And it stinks like all hell afterwards!
WRONG! You slipped the clutch to get the smell. This may or may not have anything to do with second gear grinding.

Mine used to grind like crazy going into second, but I was lucky that changing to GM Synchromesh transmission fluid fixed my problem. BTW, mine NEVER stinks when second gear would grind. I don't know what you are doing to get the clutch to slip enough to smell it, but I would pay strict attention to how you're driving and fix the problem, whatever it is.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:24 PM

I have had 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 grinds and my car is an 02... It really getting annoying and Im worried that its messing up my car. Has anyone had any sucess reporting this to the dealer?
Old 11-03-2002, 02:40 PM

Brother, you are not alone and i'm so sick of this crap. Mine grinds on the 1-2 all the time, especially if I shift between 3-5k rpms. It never grinds when I shift before 3k rpms, or if i'm redlining the engine. On the 2-3 upshift, it won't grind, but there is a big "notch" feeling as you pass the gate and this I believe is normal. Then on the 3-4 upshift, it doesn't grind, but I usually get a bit of resistence. I also have lots of trouble trying to engage 1st and reverse from neutral when the car is standing still. Honda has been of no help, and they suggested for me to bring it back when the transmission is "disabled significantly" to put it kindly. They told me to just rev match my shifts and yes it doesn't grind when I rev match, however that's what syncronizers are for and you shouldn't have to rev match. I had my friend with an Acura RSX take my car around the neighborhood since he begged me, and he said he even noticed the 1-2 grind. The tech who test drove my car at the dealership did not get the car to grind, but that was because he was rev matching each shift and he said that's how you should drive.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:30 PM

change to GM Synchromesh transmission fluid...change to GM Synchromesh transmission fluid....change to GM Synchromesh transmission fluid...Is there anything else that anybody isn't getting here?? Every S2000 wether it is an 00 or 03 with a shifting problem this will fix it...Please read this over and over until you understand this, there is no need to be missing shifts and creating more damage.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by SanMarinoCpe
change to GM Synchromesh transmission fluid...change to GM Synchromesh transmission fluid....change to GM Synchromesh transmission fluid...Is there anything else that anybody isn't getting here?? Every S2000 wether it is an 00 or 03 with a shifting problem this will fix it...Please read this over and over until you understand this, there is no need to be missing shifts and creating more damage.
You are wrong. Although a good lube it is not magic and there are many transmissions that will continue to have problems regardless of the fluid used.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

You are wrong. Although a good lube it is not magic and there are many transmissions that will continue to have problems regardless of the fluid used.
I have to agree with Chris. Although a lot of problems seem to get better with this fluid, a good number of people didn't like it either and said that it didn't help them. Other people have said that just the act of changing the fluid is good enough to make the transmission shift better. This may very well be the case, I don't know the answer to that question.

The best bet is to change your transmission fluid if it WAS working OK and is starting to act up, regardless of the mileage. Some people are going to change the fluid when they change the oil. I'm changing the fluid more often than Honda recommends.

Food for thought,
Bob

Quick Reply: 01' 1-2 clutch grind denied by warranty/recall