S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

00 version of S2k

Old 04-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J's_Racing,Apr 25 2007, 05:35 PM
thanks guys can u guys approximate the what range is considered low mileage for 00-01 and what is considered high mileage?

seems like now i'd pay a lil more like 16ish for a 02-03 , do u guys think its a better move?

what about a 00 with a rebuilt engine? will that be better or worse? the clutch buzz , weak diff and plastic window seems a bit bad. i dont know since i dont own one yet but would like to hear more opinions to decide on my first s2k
The diff is the same from MY00 through MY03, and it's not really weak at all. I ran my stock diff after adding the SC/AC for a while just to prove that it's not a flaw in the diff that breaks the things. It's the drivers and the tires more than anything else. If you don't beat the crap out of the diff (AKA abuse it) it'll handle more than the stock power.

Every now and then you'll see an early S2000 with really low mileage, but I think 15,000 miles/year is considered average. LOL, for a 7 year old car that works out to 105,000 miles and I simply wouldn't buy a car with that many miles showing.

I also have to advise against buying a car with an engine that has been rebuilt or replaced. While anything can fail, a failed engine is apt to be a sign of abuse or poor care. Some people do some pretty crazy stuff with there cars. We have one guy who never checks his oil and is always over a quart low when he comes into the shop. Look for a car that hasn't needed much work but that has been meticulously maintained. These cars (even the early ones like mine) are extremely reliable if they're not abused and given decent care.

Like Vtec9 pointed out, the plastic rear window is a lot larger than the rear windows in the later cars, and that's something I also like, but as you can see, most people have a strong preference for the glass rear window, and you'll probably like it more too. If you get a car with a hardtop the rear window in the ragtop hardly matters.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Apr 25 2007, 10:08 PM
The diff is the same from MY00 through MY03, and it's not really weak at all. I ran my stock diff after adding the SC/AC for a while just to prove that it's not a flaw in the diff that breaks the things. It's the drivers and the tires more than anything else. If you don't beat the crap out of the diff (AKA abuse it) it'll handle more than the stock power.

Every now and then you'll see an early S2000 with really low mileage, but I think 15,000 miles/year is considered average. LOL, for a 7 year old car that works out to 105,000 miles and I simply wouldn't buy a car with that many miles showing.

I also have to advise against buying a car with an engine that has been rebuilt or replaced. While anything can fail, a failed engine is apt to be a sign of abuse or poor care. Some people do some pretty crazy stuff with there cars. We have one guy who never checks his oil and is always over a quart low when he comes into the shop. Look for a car that hasn't needed much work but that has been meticulously maintained. These cars (even the early ones like mine) are extremely reliable if they're not abused and given decent care.

Like Vtec9 pointed out, the plastic rear window is a lot larger than the rear windows in the later cars, and that's something I also like, but as you can see, most people have a strong preference for the glass rear window, and you'll probably like it more too. If you get a car with a hardtop the rear window in the ragtop hardly matters.
Would that video in your sig be considered abusing it?

In all seriousness for red mx5, follow the advice of the veterans on s2ki. They are giving you good advice.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,Apr 25 2007, 11:17 PM
Would that video in your sig be considered abusing it?
Do as I say, not as I do.

It's not how hard you drive the car, it's how you drive the car hard.

Certainly donuts and burnouts abuse the tires, and depending on the way it's done it can also be very hard on the rest of the car. Some might consider it abusive no matter how it's done, but since I've been doing that kind of thing since Moses was a brick maker without breaking anything I don't see it that way.

Not a good thing to do unless you know what you are doing and are prepared to fix anything you break.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 PM

thanks guys i will definately look into the history of the car and what happened to that engine for 11k its tempting sigh
Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Nice to see that you're doing your homework! I got my '00 about 6 months ago & it was sort of an impulse thing. Looking back, I would've definitely come here first, learned a bit about the differences in the MY's, and I would've paid a little less too, but w/e.

All in all I love my '00 (plastic window & all ).

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:45 PM

i love my original 00
Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by shiesty,Apr 26 2007, 04:45 PM
i love my original 00
It's like owning an MGA. The guys with MGB's have roll up windows, door handles and knobs (instead of a string that you reach through a hole in the door panel), and heaters/defrosters that actually work (most of the time), and when the rain is flowing in around the side curtains of the MGA you just tell yourself that the MGB's are too civilized. The guys that prefer the MGB's are just soft.

The magnitude of difference is smaller with the S2000, but as the years go by the MGA/MGB comparison will become more and more obvious. Newer cars will continue to be easier to live with, safer, and more refined. Special additions like the CR will combine the refinement of the newer cars with the best of the older cars (for example, CR will probably have AP1 steering rack), but the regular cars will continue to move the concept in the same direction, toward wider market appeal and acceptability.

Name any sports car ever produced by a major manufacturer that has not followed exactly this same pattern. ???

Some of us like owning originals, warts and all. MY90 Miata, MY00 S2000 - They belong together.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by CZ-R,Apr 26 2007, 02:01 PM
Nice to see that you're doing your homework! I got my '00 about 6 months ago & it was sort of an impulse thing. Looking back, I would've definitely come here first, learned a bit about the differences in the MY's, and I would've paid a little less too, but w/e.

All in all I love my '00 (plastic window & all ).

Good luck!
I am with you, I just bought it cause I was tired of driving my RX-8. So saw it at a dealership, and just bought it that day.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM

if u guys dont mind , can i know how much u guys got your 00 s2k for and mileage?

among the list i showed on top , the one that is most helpful is the year 2000 s2k for 11700 with 140k miles on body 40k miles on engine.

lets say body is clean , no accidents , original paint , straight frame and good compression reading ( for s2k what reading should all the cylinder be?)

then will it be a good deal?

and even if the diff will have problems how much is it to buy a new one or a new tranny?

man i love u guys man this has been the most friendly forum ever without being flamed at.

and compared the 00 to 01-02-03 ones are there any changes in suspension geometry? sway bars? etc or steering etc that will affect handling and performance guys? cause i saw another 01 ap1 almost same condition but original engine at 105kmiles asking 12500. if needed i can post up their threads here too so u guys can give me more feedback =) (anyone with carfax too can pm me?)

1st

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=474159&hl=

2nd

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=454965&hl=

thanks a million hope to hear from u soon and most probably the verdict will come in next weekend =) i'm excited
Old 04-26-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by shiesty,Apr 26 2007, 01:45 PM
i love my original 00
ditto. No problems whatsoever.

Quick Reply: 00 version of S2k