S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

00-01 owners, ever have your plastic window crack?

Old 12-19-2003, 06:22 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 00-01 owners, ever have your plastic window crack?

Yesterday afternoon I was putting down my top (the temperature was in the 50's, not sure if this has any relevance) and heard a plastic "pop" sound come from the back of the car where the top folds in. I instantly raised the top and found a 8"-9" v shaped crack in my plastic window. I originally thought something might have fallen into the well where the top closes (a branch, stick, etc.) but after looking around I could not find anything to cause the the plastic to crack. Anyone had this happen to them? I'm going to be taking the car into the dealsership and try to get it repaired under warranty, but it would definately help if this has happened to others. BTW, the car is a MY 01.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, have the hole wearing thru problem, but no cracking of window.

It doesn't get that cold here in SD. I think temp has alot to do with it.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:03 AM

I don't usually put the top down in that type of weather, but I was showing the car off to a friend. I just looked at the top again and the crack looks like it originated where the plastic window meets the top near the trunk. This area seems to be a harder thicker plastic than the actual window, still unsure what caused it to crack. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-19-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think 50s is too cold to put the top down. I know there is a recommended temperature not to operate the top, but that seems warm enough. Did you check the window for any kind of glues or anything that might have caused the window to stick to itself and then tear on it's way up? Also, check the little deck area that the top folds down into....maybe you stuck something in there or something fell in there and poked it when it was put down?
Old 12-19-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had this happen to me...but then again, it doesn't get that cold down here. I'm curious as to what would cause this. Let us know what the dealer says.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:00 AM

This recently happened to a friend of mine with a '97 Boxster. The weather was also around 50 degrees, nothing that seemed too cold. I think it was a combination of the temperature and the 6-year-old plastic that hardened over time.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an '00 and my back window is still fine (touch wood). True, I have a hardtop and the soft top stays folded 1/2 the year, but my belief is that there is some onus upon the each owner to use some good judgement when it comes to the care and feeding of the soft top.
The manual states that the top should not be operated near freezing temps or under several other circumstances, so you're right, 50 degrees is not too cold. However, although not legally bound by the contents of the owner's manual, we need to understand that all plastics "breath and cure" over time and gets dry and brittle. Depending upon the state of the window at the time, perhaps 50 degrees was too cold. I've ensured that my window gets treated with a cleaner/sealant like Plexus on a regular basis to keep the plastic healthy. I've also put down a soft mat for the inside of the window to rest on when the top is folded. I've also applied static cling window tint to help minimize the affects of UV rays, drying out of the plastic and scratching. I also change the tint regularly as needed. These things may be particularly relevent if you live in a true convertible climate.
Certainly, the manual does not tell us of such precautions and you definately should get a warranty claim honoured for this window. However, when you do get the new one, perhaps you could do a few things to help keep it in good shape in the next "go round".
Old 01-09-2004, 01:30 PM

UPDATE:

Just got my car back from Vandergriff Honda, they replaced the top with no questions asked. Hopefully this does not happen to anyone else, but in case it does, it's alway good to have a precedent.

BTW, I purchased my vehicle used and the previous owner had not taken care of the top at all, the plastic window was opaque at best, and the top was very dry feeling and not supple at all when I purchased it. Now that the top has been replaced I will ceratainly keep up with it to ensure this does not happen again.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-09-2004, 01:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kenny_Stang
UPDATE:

Just got my car back from Vandergriff Honda, they replaced the top with no questions asked.

Quick Reply: 00-01 owners, ever have your plastic window crack?